HEDD Audio HEDDphone - Official Thread

It’s not simply power in Watts…it’s current that comes into play with impedance spikes in headphones. Generally speaking (leaving out OTLs), SS amps are better at putting out more current on demand than tube amps…or at least, that has been my experience (both in 2-channel speakers & headphones).

A classic workaround for this factor in 2-channel speakers is to use a sub, so that the bass (where impedance variations are usually greatest) is not “seen” by the main amplifier, allowing the user more discretion to use either SS or tubes on purely sonic preference grounds…

2 Likes

I auditioned a prototype at socal canjam, paired with a hugo2 and m scaler - was one of the most memorable and impressive things I heard at the show.

I don’t remember it feeling very heavy.

6 Likes

Can’t wait to own a set.

3 Likes

HEDDphone retail units are ready to ship. We’ve got a small number on the way.

Forum members get first dibs so if anyone is interested shoot me a message!

7 Likes

Happy New Year Taron. Sorry but I must have missed it, how much will they retail for?

2 Likes

$1899

5 Likes

Some preliminary measurements:

HEQ Compensation:

HPN Compensation:

Needless to say this measures better than most headphones on this rig. The 4.5khz feature shows up here again just like on every headphone, so ignore that. For the most part, this is slightly brighter than Harman but only just by a bit (it’s a good thing in my opinion). It’s actually similar to the Focal Utopia, just with a bit better bass extension.

For technical performance… all I can say is yes, this thing is amazing. I don’t know if it beats the LCD4, but it’s close enough where I’d have to compare one to one to be confident in the answer.

14 Likes

Pre-Orders are live!

6 Likes

Errrrmmmmmm… Gaaaahhh… (Insert other guttural noises of frustration here.) Darn it. Is that normal MSRP, or a special pre-order price?

My brain tells me to wait for comparisons and reviews to come in before I buy, but my audio curiosity wants it now. I’m real picky about what neck exercise equipment I buy, so maybe I’ll hold off for a bit until @Resolve either approves of the sound or comes back from an emergency visit to the chiropractor.

4 Likes

No chiropractor necessary yet haha. I’ve been wearing them for most of the day today and so far no problems. It’s definitely a “okay not I gotta put these on… oh boy” experience, but not anywhere near the same degree as the LCD4 was for me. I will say, if you have a big head, these may not work out. The extension for the yokes is at its max for me and it barely fits.

For sound though, from my initial impressions, yeah… it’s amazing.

10 Likes

That’s normal MSRP. 7 Units down now so looks like the first batch will be gone before Sunday.

I can’t quote @Resolve directly but quote that we were going to put on the website was:

“It’s bleeping good”

-Resolve Reviews

10 Likes

Well I ordered mine and can’t wait to listen.

6 Likes

Yup, certainly no chiropractor necessary, and no need to worry about the former marketing being ‘hype’. Because for once, what may seem too good to be true is NOT - welcome to 2020, the dawn of future technology! I myself have tried them (a few times throughout the day at CanJam SoCal) and was bemesmerized by their performance (bewildered + mezmerized LOL). Looking forward to impressions and saving up for them!

5 Likes

I’ve preordered. Now it’s a waiting game. I hope this is a real game-changer and survives the hype. It would be great if more people that have heard it would comment on the soundstage and treble quality.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Judging by all of the positive feedback, I’ll probably be saving for the HEDDphone as well.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the preorder. It seems you ordered a great product. Enjoy and please post impressions, they’re a great resource for our community.

1 Like

PS - I’m happy to be part of THC! Looks like a super cool bunch of hi-fi audio enthusiasts. FYI things are movin’ fast of the main thread for it on Head-Fi as well - if mention of them here is not forbidden?

Also as I’ve mentioned over there before, these babies have much potential depending on source, and from what I can tell tend to prefer tube amps for modest warmth / euphony these can add - and are modestly hard to drive so bring out the big guys to allow the HEDDphones to shine; as well as the rest of the chain; DAC,aftermarket cables, etc.

2 Likes

Does it use the Audeze/ZMF mini xlr connectors? I’m hoping to use my Norne Skruag cable.

1 Like

Specs say it does.

Looking forward to your impressions/review (you own a lot of the headphones I want! :laughing:).

1 Like

Hmmm this sounds interesting. How is the bass impact? Does a kick drum have any impact? Or is it a bit subdued?

1 Like