HEDD Audio HEDDphone - Official Thread

It’s an interesting question, because I feel its incredibly fast and tight, kind of like a planar. But it also doesn’t have the excursive capabilities of some of those biodynamics out there. I think dynamic driver vs planar in general… the dynamic driver has a slam advantage but the planar driver has a THD advantage, especially for well-extended bass response. The HEDDphone falls into the latter category - even though not strictly a planar. So for kick drum slam… it really depends what you mean haha. When testing sub-bass on “why so serious”, I could physically feel the air moving, if that’s any indication.

9 Likes

Are you going to post a formal review soon on your YouTube channel?

2 Likes

I will definitely do that.

1 Like

Yeah in the next week or so.

4 Likes

I’m so close to pulling the trigger on these, but I just received my ZMF Verite Closed last week and I’m loving them. Can’t decide if the Heddphone would really be an upgrade or just a side grade. I have missed my LCD-4 since I got rid of them a while back. Would people that have heard both say the Heddphone has a similarly linear and powerful bass presentation, but maybe with a more neutral upper mid/lower treble response than the Audeze? If it is a Focal Utopia with LCD-4 bass I think I’m sold LOL.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

@Resolve has mentioned both the Utopia and the LCD-4 in the above comparison. It’s looking very promising for the HEDDphone.

2 Likes

If that hasn’t been asked yet might we see this in the review library?

Either way it’s good to see a flagship under $2000!

2 Likes

Hi and welcome @DecentLevi and @John_William. Congrats on your purchases too. Colour me jealous.

2 Likes

You’re able to mention who you want around here. Were not a prickly bunch. Just along as everyone’s civil. That’s all that counts.

6 Likes

Hello and welcome @mightytison.

2 Likes

Hey guys apologies for any confusion I may have somehow caused, but I have yet to purchase these, pending funds. I’ve next gotta finish paying for a custom designed Glenn Studios SET transformer-coupled tube amp and a better DAC. For now I’m just a ‘fanboy’ of the HEDDphone One and hope to try them again, at a Seattle meet.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to encourage another Verite owner to try the HEDDphone, so would definitely be interested to hear your comparison between the two. Though the highest model I’ve heard from ZMF is the Auteur, I’ve also heard the Utopia several times and to a lesser extent the LCD-4 and the HEDDphone. From what I recall The HEDDphone creams the LCD-4 in every aspect not even being in the same galaxy (well it may be down to my not liking the LCD-4), and is more of a cross between the tonality of the HD-800 (or Utopia in a stretch) with the FR and detail of the Stax SR-007, with a nod towards the Orpheus II.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’ve been lurking here for quite some time. I’ve come to respect a lot of the reviews I’ve seen here and even got Zach to make my custom dark blue Verite Closed after seeing DarthPool’s Purple People Eaters LOL. Thought it was time to chime in.

5 Likes

Well that’s still some pretty prestigious company it keeps, especially considering the price point. I realize it won’t be exactly like another set, but I find it helps me if I can compare it ones I’ve owned. I think I may skip the pre order this time and wait just a bit to see some full reviews and comparisons. I’ve just been ran over by the hype train too many times in the past…

3 Likes

Can’t wait for full reviews of this to come out. I’ve been really indecisive about which headphone to get next, but these seem to be exactly what I’m looking for. And much cheaper than the Verites and LCD 4, etc.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @SonnyMarrow.

I think several of us are anxiously awaiting reviews of the HEDDphone.

2 Likes

Thank you! I registered just to comment in this thread because I’m so excited at the prospect of a sub-$2k headphone being flagship material. I’ve put Verites in my cart multiple times in the last month but keep getting anxiety lol. Hopefully these are everything the initial impressions suggest so I can finally make a decision

2 Likes

Haha. I’ve had several “in the cart” moments myself!

There’s plenty of threads here that I’m sure you’ll end up posting in, as I and many have (There’s even a photography thread with some great pictures).

I think we’re all looking forward to their release and community impressions.

1 Like

I hope this stays their flagship for a few years. I could only imagine the price going up. Also if they turn out to be giant killers I’ll have to sell off some of my stock. Which I plan to regardless if they are or not.

2 Likes

Just wanted to note that these are not the first AMT headphones. Precide released the Ergo AMT headphone years ago. Since it used similar aesthetics to Precide’s previous line, the Jecklin Float electrostatic cans, my guess is that demand was not large. Precide also released a dedicated amp to drive the AMT. I’ve never heard the Ergo AMT but have been curious for a long time.

6 Likes