HEDD Audio HEDDphone - Official Thread

thank you Alex!

very good to know, the Tuba is driving the HEDDphone well. So it is again back on my list.

I pretty much enjoy Don McLean quite regular. As “Vincent” is my third testsong. After installing Roon yesterday, it was one of the songs I have heard a few times.
now added this album and gonna give it a go this evening!

2 Likes

Yeah that song Vincent is a good one as well…

1 Like

Tommy Emmanuel…Live!! Disc 1…Those That Wait…

You want to hear PERFECT tone in headphone reproduction …this is it…HEDD’s via the TUBA …OMG good…

Live, reverberations, strong finger picking, deep tonality…absolutey real like…

Ah! Life is really good!!

:>)

Alex

2 Likes

Happiness in a box!!

Arrival Day!!

10 Likes

With a few more hours on the Hedd, here are a few thoughts:

• Impressive! The value for money is off the chart. A great sounding can
  • I solved the issue some had with the drivers cracking. I’ve inserted a small tube underneath the pad, working like a bass reflex speaker. I used a heat shrink tube. Works like a charm and doesn’t change the sound at all
  • Bass is much stronger than some says. I actually had to lower it by 2db. They can really pump some serious sub bass when called for!! It’s tight and fast, I like!
  • Medium are really nice but I’d say a tad too forward compared to the rest of the spectrum. Almost shouty at times. Nothing some EQ can’t fix
  • the upper end of the spectrum is nice but I’m not that impressed compared to other TOTL. I guess I was expecting more from this technology.
  • soundstage is indeed impressive on some records! Coupled to a TT2+HMS, it’s disturbing at times, pushing far on the sides with an almost speaker like experience.
  • Overall i do find these Hedd highly recordings dependent. They could be punishing, or at least “meh”, if you don’t feed them with good recordings. Throw in Doug McLeod’s “black nights” for example and you’re in for a treat!
5 Likes

YouTube reviewer DMS posted his 2020 headphone tier this week, and he put the HEDDphone in C class because the original headband wouldn’t extend far enough to fit his head. :frowning_face: Hopefully he gets to try a new revision HEDDphone soon! Does anyone know how much further the headband extends compared to the original revision?

Cant agree with you more on that statement…

Great headphones, like these are unmerciful on recordings…crap will really sound like crap…well recorded stuff will astound you…I posted many examples of this.

If you want these headphones to make all your recordings to sound great, its not going to happen with these or any TOTL headphone…

Alex

1 Like

I have the extended version and I dont use any extensions with the shape of my head.

I think the originals had 2 clicks of extension, mine has about “6”…fully extended its about 1 inch of exxtension approx. (approx 25mm).

These are not “C” class in any way IMO. I can understand his reasoning and thinking and the fit and comfort is indeed very important. There are several other reviews that tout these cans as world class.

IMO this is abit harsh…

Alex

I watched his 2019 tier review…he puts the T1 into B tier than berates it on its horrible treble! I had these t1 r2, and t90s…and I could not disagree more with the ranking he gave these…

Goes to show we all have opinions… this guy IMO is abit “wonky”… :grinning: he doesnt like this or that…Vshaped, while some love V shape…too much of what HE likes vs he doesnt like…says Auteur cant be challenged??? WTF over??? Really funny to me…

I would trust guys on this forum and there experience vs DMS. LIke this review…from a person that really has a clue etc…

1 Like

first, it is his content and so DMS can put it in every category he wants to.

would try not to get triggered and move on

I saw his prior quite old videos(did not watch the new one, cause I have all I want) on this A,B,C thing and people want to put stuff into boxes or shelves. So these kind of videos get attention. They might get even more attention, if there are some decisions, people want to discuss :wink:

as we know, our priorities differ and so do our heads and the fit …

7 Likes

For sure…I dont spend much time on youtube at all, except for entertainment and the reviewers that I actually know and trust…and look at things a bit more analytical…

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

4 Likes

I’m ready to pull the trigger on a pair of HEDD’s…but I’d just like to make sure it takes the same connection as does my Audeze LCD-2.2. I can invert phase if necessary, but would prefer not to.

Thanks,
Bob

2 Likes

What connection are u talking about?

If your wanting to use an existing balanced cable from a LCD2/2 with the HEDDS then I believe the +/- will be incorrect, but it will still work. ie make sound.

I just made a custom cable and got the wiring from HEDD and made it the way they indicated it should be.

HEDD will or has a balanced cable I believe for sale now.

Alex

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, Alex. I was referring to the mini XLR’s…and whether the wiring in that connector is the same as the LCD-2. Thanks for confirming that it isn’t. If polarity is the only issue that results from using my cable, I can invert through my Lumin app. I love my Q Audio french silk cables…and would prefer to use them, if possible. I will look at HEDD’s cables and others. Thanks again…Alex.

2 Likes

Your welcome, if u need the wiring info let me know…I asked a few cable makers and they are going to make HEDD balanced cables soon from what they tell me…

Enjoy the HEDDS they are indeed very special cans…

Thanks. Will do. Haven’t purchased yet, but based on your input, I should be ok with using the Audeze balanced cabling in the meantime.

If the HEDD’s are as good as they appear to be, cable offerings will be popping up all over the place. Looks like I will have a chance to listen to a pair in my system towards to the end of this month. That way I can hear 'em before buying…always nice. Thanks again for your help, Alex. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Dyson Audio is now offering balanced aftermarket cables (Mogami Starquad, UPOCC Helix, SPOCC Low Cap, etc.) for HEDDphones with prices starting at $59.

One has to choose HEDDphone mini XLR from the drop-down option (i.e. the last one :smiley:) while placing an order.

5 Likes

I am using a cable that’s wired as per LCD’s wiring scheme and it works fine for me, I did switch the polarity on my adi-2 dac to hear for any difference but preferred the sound without the inverted polarity (brain burn in is real :man_shrugging:t2:)

1 Like

I too have been using an aftermarket balanced cable made for Audeze LCD-XC/2C with my HEDDphones for the past couple of months and love the speed, details, stage, etc… I am partly tempted to order one of the custom balanced cables with the correct wiring scheme for the HEDDs just to make sure I am not missing out on any of the intended sound experience. On the other hand, I am thinking probably “ignorance is bliss” :wink: and that I should just continue using my existing set-up to enjoy the music.

2 Likes