HEDD Audio HEDDphone - Official Thread

Same. I know I would eventually get a correctly wired aftermarket cable sometime down the line (after I get my hands on the Phonitor X!). I am quite satisfied with the cable (and setup) I have now that upgrading too soon seems more like a greed vs need at this point lol.

2 Likes

Woke up this am to HEDDS/LYR3…OMG good!!! Not of this Earth…awesome!!

3 Likes

Is there something I don’t understand with the polarity of these cables? As long as left and right are wired the same way, it doesn’t matter what polarity you’re using. Polarity only affects sound phase. It could matter in a different environment but here, since the headphone is at the end of the chain, the phase is irrelevant. Except maybe if you’re using a sub at the same time…

Well yeah, of I course I trust Andrew over DMS. :slight_smile: DMS couldn’t get it to fit over his ears properly, so in my opinion he shouldn’t have even ranked it. To each their own, though.

1 Like

Yup, we all have opinions for sure…

Just throwing things into A,B, C, D rows with remarks that just dont seem to “fit” or dont come close to what I would call an objective review…in 10 words or less is well…

But again like you say maybe he shouldnt have ranked it period.

What irks me is some folks will take this “ranking” verbatim and make decsions based on a very narrow set of comments…good or bad…

Alex

2 Likes

I think it’s still perfectly fair to evaluate a headphone based on this because that’s a big factor for comfort. If there is one thing after working in this industry for years is that there are quite a few audiophiles out there with larger noggins and if the headphone doesn’t even fit those people, it is a talking point. That’s without mentioning weight, clamp force etc…

Now personally, I have a big head but it’s also narrow so with the HEDDphone I don’t even extend it. It’s also become a staple at my desk next to the Focal Clear and Empire Ears Valkyrie. There’s something that’s a lot of fun about the HEDDphone that I don’t get from other headphones like the HD 800S for expample.

6 Likes

I really wished these fit me, as I was so impressed with these.

Hopefully whatever comes next will work out fit-wise because these just sound so good.

3 Likes
4 Likes

You know we could perform cosmetic surgery in my garage…“on the cheap”!

:>)

Alex

1 Like

I’m happy with what God, my mama, and my papa gave me! But thanks for the offer. :grin:

2 Likes

More and more reviews are coming out on the Hedds…this was an interesting one with the inventors and a end user…testing his recording “mix”…

Alex

1 Like
1 Like

Ah yes me too. By a long shot.

@lost33 I would greatly appreciate this info. Thanks.

Go here …this is where I posted what HEDD sent me…when I built my custom cable

Alex

2 Likes

Thank you Alex for sharing this information.

1 Like

Your welcome!

:grinning:

Try this with your HEDDS!!!

Alex

NOTE: The entire Tribute to George Harrison is available at Amazon. relatively cheap!
Steve G. mentined this in his HEDD review…on the Tube…

2 Likes

I found this post on another site which I found interesting:
(stolen shamelessly from: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hedd-announces-heddphone-with-amt-technology.906270/page-177#post-15796007

All this talk about the weight of Hedd amuses me. I’ve been doing intense workouts with Blackwood Auteur for 2 years and RAD-0 for almost a year – so moving up to Hedd was easy :)

Humor aside, I’m doing some serious listening via:

Gumby ==> cap-modded Liquid Platinum | DSHA-3F ==> Hedd | RAD-0 (balanced connections, silver headphone cables)

No real conclusions yet – just some early impressions. The Heddline is that the Hedd is definitely holding up its end – delivers very satisfying, visceral bass. Also, Hedd is quite a bit less efficient than RAD-0 – 6 dB according to my pre-amp. No problem for either of those amps though.

Honestly they are very close in almost every way. Small differences in their presentation of vocals. RAD-0 brings vocals a little more ‘front and center’ while Hedd seems to open them up just a little by comparison. When there’s some ‘space’ and echo in the vocals the Hedd presents slightly more. Bass is also very close – maybe a bit more ‘thickness’ from RAD-0, and a bit more extension into the sub-bass from Hedd. But really close. A couple times I had to reach up and check which were on my head.

Actually, the equivalence extends to fit/finish/comfort as well for me. While the Hedd is very modern/industrial, RAD-0 is more of an art project. But to my eyes, they are both very appealing. And both seem very well built. Unfortunately, neither is near tops in comfort. Well behind Empyrean and Utopia. Behind HEK (v2 or se) and Ether 2. Even somewhat less comfortable than my Auteur, which mostly get dinged for weight, but also the lack of clamping force.

Alex

3 Likes

Tons of great info in this thread, thanks everyone :).

Has anyone tried listening to binaural recordings with the HEDDphone? Just wondering what happens to the ultra-wide but mostly horizontal soundstage (which @torq illustrates in his handy diagram). Do you get more depth-wise localization, a more balanced 3D presentation, etc.?

The deep 6-7 kHz pinna notch in most of the FR measurements (which is characteristic of a 90° azimuth / 0° elevation HRTF) seems like it might interfere with the binaural cues from a dummy head. But then again, the added distance from the drivers could also make these amazing for binaural. I haven’t heard them myself yet, so I’m very curious!

2 Likes