Hifiman HE-560

Sundara is the smoothed down version of the HE560 in my opinion/listening experience (though limited of the Sundara).

1 Like

Thank you @generic I shall look into this too. I need to research thoroughly though.

1 Like

So I just purchased the ā€œspecial editionā€ open box deal from the Hifiman Store for $300. I also purchased the Pali Pad to try out. I wonder how the HE-560 will sound on my Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 788. I canā€™t wait for these to arrive :slight_smile: The HE-560 was always one of those headphones I dreamed of having but at $900 I thought they were too expensive and the sub-par Hifiman build quality back in the day. But now for $300 and improved build quality, looks like an awesome deal. I am so looking forward to hearing them.

3 Likes

They arrived today :grin:I made a quick first impressions video. I am going to enjoy these cans a lot; I can already tell.

4 Likes

I ended up opting not to get the HE-560s but I was curious about the thicker velour pads for my 400is. Iā€™m curious if they are able to improve things, but if anything I wanted to pick up a pair of plastic rings for them and itā€™s almost as expensive to get them from the pads than from the Hifiman website. Thank you for pointing 'em out!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums Darkierawr.

You are welcome for the suggestion.With extra rings you can try any pad that fits; I prefer Dekoni for comfort.

1 Like

Thank ya!

Iā€™ve tried Dekoni pads in the past for Fostex and Sennheiser headphones but both ended up being too small for my huge ears. I havenā€™t tried since then, and Iā€™m sure they have other products to try that would fit fine. I may try their Bulletz as well.

I have a random assortment of pads to try as well, so it should be fun.

2 Likes

Yea most everyone just buys the cheapest velour Hifiman HE pads and take the ring off of them since the cost is the same to do that.

Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads are my favorite to use with the Hifiman HE560. They are very comfortable.

BTW: Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined!

3 Likes

I use hybrid elites for my HD800 and HD700, concur on comfort.

1 Like

I think I have some of those around here, I will have to give them a try on my HE-560. I have the Dekoni fenestrated leathers on the 4xx, wonder how those would do?

1 Like

Well, you know, someone told me this forum was cool.

Thank you, Iā€™ll check out the Dekoni Elite series. I need some new pads for some ATH-900Xs whose pads have completely disintegrated anyway.

2 Likes

Welcome @darkierawr nice to have you aboard HMS Headphones. :grin:.

3 Likes

Terrific cans, that i am using for a couple of yrs now; by far the best iā€™ve had: amazing open, out-of-your-head sound, nice controlled bass, beautiful soundstage, sweet, nice tone, very detailed, etcā€¦ ok, there are a few better ones, but this one is a best-value, for sure.

My best match was with a woo audio Wa7 that sadly i had to let it go. Now using an emotiva stealth dc-1, not bad, but far from the woo.
Btw, these cans sound surprisingly similar to my kef ls50 speakers, which is a wonderful thing imho (in fact, i bought the ls50 because they sounded like the 560ā€™s, at least with my old but still great densen amp)

Only complaint is the poor built quality in cushions, cable, faux veneers, etc. And the box is just stupidly pretentious and useless.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome @pbanados. Some nice impressions. Not owned a Woo but would love to in the future. Nice to have you around.

2 Likes

Nice. I just procured a used WA7 Gen 2 with vacuum tube power for less than half the retail price, so excited to have it displayed on my desk. Yes, Iā€™m getting it mostly for aesthetic reasons. :smiley:

I have been looking at finding an upgrade from HE560 but I have no idea where to go from here ā€“ Arya or Edition XX or Ananda or go up to HE1000s or even Diana though those ones would be a distant future and not more soon.

I still really like the HE560. Itā€™s a good combination of sound, weight, and comfort for most genres and movies. Love the sub-bass response on it the most.

5 Likes

Ypu will love it (the WA7). Really beautiful, and the soundā€¦ well, a piano in other dacs sounds like as it was made of plastic, in comparison. Regarding the 560: My humble suggestion is to keep them, at least until you use it extensively with the WA7. Iā€™ve heard micro details and ambience in my music (in chamber music, or Tim Hecker, for example) than I havenā€™t with any other cans Iā€™ve tried, including some Audezees.

2 Likes

I did end up getting Dekoni Velour pads for the ATH series, they are stellar, definitely big enough and comfortable too! I guess I just bought the smallest ones they had before.

Thanks for the push towards looking at Dekoni!

2 Likes

Despite my poor experience with Hifiman QC, the Ananda keeps popping up as something I should try out. I would be awesome to hear if anyone here has had any experience with these.

2 Likes

I hope you give HiFiMan another chance ā€“ I choose the HE-560s over my LCD-2Cs every time Iā€™m going for an open planar headphone. The LCD-2Cs will be sold given low use, jaw pain for me, and decent residual value.

1 Like

How long have you had the 560? Any issues?

1 Like