Hifiman HE6Se V2

That’s criminal! They should be mocked on reddit for this!

3 Likes

“The real punchline is that HIFIMAN sells this cable for $400 on their store .”

Well it gets even better… spend $$$$$$ on a Susvara and you still get this :poop: cable!!!:grimacing: It can really kinda piss you off if you think about it too much. Honestly I had aftermarket cables so I’ve never actually used either one(He6se v2 or Sus). Maybe they perform just fine but man than look/feel horrible!!!

1 Like

Wait, you’re telling me that you don’t want to put your copper and silver wires in surgical tubing for your headphone cable? Color me shocked.

My Hifiman HE6se V2 arrived today. This time they sound remarkable as they should. I compared them out of the box to my old pair and this time the bass was there like it should be. They have been burning in for hours and I will test them again in the morning. I don’t know if Hifman got their act together or if I just got the luck of the draw. Anyhow, I am pretty happy. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

My 31-bands eq 20Hz(0db) 25Hz(0db) 31.5Hz(0db) 40Hz(-0.5db) 50Hz(-1db) 63Hz(-2db) 80Hz(-2db) 100Hz(-3db) 125Hz(-4.8db) 160Hz(-5.4db) 200Hz(-6.8db) 250Hz (-7db) 315Hz(-7db) 400Hz(-7db) 500Hz(-7db) 630Hz(-7db) 800Hz(-7db) 1kHz(-7db) 1.2kHz(-5db) 2kHz(-2.4db) 2.5kHz(-4.8db) 3.1kHz(-4.8db) 4kHz(-7db) 5kHz(-11db) 6.3kHz(-7db) 8kHz(-4.4db) 10kHz(-2db) 12kHz(-6.4db) 16kHz(-11db) 20kHz(-8db)

1 Like

Looks like there’s a new Nan-7 that’s just been released. The drivers look a bit like the HiFiMAN Susvara.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=678521739937
Try this link:

6 Likes

My HEX v2, HE-6 v1 both came with this rubbish. The stock stuff on the HE-500 was trash as was the HE-400i, HE-5 SE and 4XX. The stuff with the HE-6 6 screw was pretty good, but wasn’t O2 proof as the green slimy stuff inside the plastic on the copper is gruesome.

But look on the bright side if they spent $30 more on each one and charged $100 more, most of the cable nervosa club would still pay big money for after market ones.

Also the pads all suck and the rear screens are not tuned at all. QC ??

I buy HFM planars because the actual drivers are excellent for the money and if they dont die young they do not die. As for the rest - budget it in.

1 Like

I thought I liked my bass lean. -7 db 250-1k? -2.4 at 2k? You must mean something different… these settings are really odd.

My 6 band parametric:

Hz – db — Q – type

44 +2.9 1.20 Low Shelf 2
980 -2.0 4.50 Analog bell
1773 +2.6 3.10 " "
4360 -2.7 7.60 Digital bell
6420 -2.4 7.90 " "
9840 -2.7 5.40 " "

10 band; move 44 to 48, add +2 at 25 Hz 1.00 Low shelf; 160 Hz -1.5 analog bell; 1…00 ; 5140 +1.3 6.30 digital bell; 14.5k +3.5 2.00 analog bell

Hi I received my pair of HE6SE v2 and I’m really enjoying it through my mid 2000s Denon 2807 AVR with a speaker tap to 4 pin xlr adapter I made, but it is very cumbersome to use (full sized 4u rack size and like 30 lbs). I can live with it for now since it sounds great and I mostly have everything set up semi permanently (rca from my E50 amp to avr in closet and speaker wire from closet to desk into speaker tap adapter) and I already dropped 500 USD on the headphones. I was looking at getting a more modestly sized amp for this headphone under 500 USD (I can stretch it to 600 if it’s really really worth it). I was eyeing the Schiit Jot 2, Emotiva BasX A2M, and the Parasound Zamp but I’m open to other suggestions.

3 Likes

perhaps this

2 Likes

I would wait and save to get something a little more beefy.

I have the flux labs amp and it is a huge amp. So if modest size is your thing that’s out the door.

Liquid platinum I forget it’s power output at 50 ohms but it’s still really not enough juice. I know a lot of people on here would disagree with me. Yet I think if you used a speaker amp to power it you would understand what I mean or comprehend the difference with just a regular HA.

I think these headphones are primarily really current hungry and anything that has a current limiter is not good. Which maybe why headphone amps are ok to bad sounding.

I say this again with experience on the Susvara which sounded so bad the first three times I heard it. Twice I think the amps had 8 watts at 50 ohm, headamp, possibly wrong on those figures. But the fourth time I heard it with a 20 wpc class A headphone amp and boy was it really damn good.

Clearly you are never getting 5/10/15 watts into your ears that close without going deaf as pointed out by members on here. But something about foolish amounts of power that benefit or bring out the true capabilities without limiting performance

1 Like

Not the smallest amp, but a used RebelAmp is for sale on HeadFi for $400 including paypal and ship, no tax since it is used.

With HE6se V2, the RebelAmp performs on par with my Questyle CMA Twelve and my Headamp GS-X Mini.

I’ve heard that the rebel amp does great with these headphones and I considred getting it but I was a little puzzled by the 0.65W into 50 ohms so I decided against it (current using the SMSL SP400 which I recently got for 500 USD referb). I’m leaning more and more towards the rebel amp tho.

Yeah, RebelAmp is good sound on the cheap for HE6se V2 and most other planar headphones. However, if you intend to power a variety of other headphones, particularly some dynamic driver headphones, you may want to spend closer to $2000 or maybe even more for a higher end amplifier.

I’m I might grab a rebel amp in that case but I’m possibly looking at building a beta 22 amp from AMB in the future as a fun project. Seems like it’s a very nice amp that can be pretty affordable since it’s DIY. Looks like it will be a little big tho

1 Like

I use one of these. Plenty of power, and about the same size as my JDS Labs Atom (if you don’t count the power brick.). Sounds great to my ears.

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Power Amplifier 300Wx2 HiFi Class D Stereo Digital Audio Amp 2.0 Channel Amplifier for Passive Speaker Home Audio (A07+DC 32V Power Adapter) https://a.co/dsBnENh

What sound characteristics does it have powering headphones compared to headphone amps? Socketed NE5532 op-amps does mean possible potential upgrades.

One general pet peeve about most of these class-D amps on Amazon. They all seem to advertise the absolute maximum power possible into 4 Ohms in their title. For example, this Aiyima advertises “300Wx2”, which is only possible with 48V/10A power supply, and only into 4 Ohms. With the supplied 32V/5A power supply, when using industry standard power rating into 8 Ohms, this amp only makes 65Wx2…

I never use this for speakers, it’s a dedicated amp for my HE6 SE. Fed with a 2Vrms signal from my DAC and listening to files with ReplayGain, I’ve usually got the volume dial at 9 o’clock, so there’s way more than enough power here.

The sound is clean and not sterile, no noise that I can hear. I can’t say that the amp imparts any particular characteristics, it just sounds good.

Here’s what I think is a stupid question, but I’m going to ask it anyways. Are the 83.5db 50 ohm HE6seV2’s going to be garbage with the OTL Schiit Folkvangr? Trying to talk myself into getting a FV, but also dealing with the fact that these wonderful cans are currently on sale for $549 from Adorama. (sorry if I buried the lede).

Be aware that they very very often go on ‘sale’ around that price…

2 Likes