Hifiman HE6Se V2

Even if it is a stereo amp rated at 300 W at 4 Ohms?

This is a legit question as I know squat about power and voltage and current from amplifiers haha!

1 Like

Thereā€™s more to getting the most out of the HE6SE V2 than simply having lots of power; thereā€™s a qualitative aspect to it as well (as always) - something T-amps generally havenā€™t fared well at.

Notwithstanding that youā€™re unlikely to actually get 300W into 4 ohms out of one for more than a fleeting moment (and then only in perfect conditions). I tested one a while back (same rating and chip), and it shutdown around 50W/4 ohms, with its included PSU. I was able to push that to 65W/4 ohms using my lab supply.

Noise floor was obnoxious even doing nothing, and distortion was clearly audible anywhere near its maximum output (I think it was pushing 10% THD at that point).

And that ā€œactualā€ 50W into 4 ohms translates to 4W into the 50 ohms of the HE6SE V2. Which is within the realms of well measuring/performing $200 headphone amplifiers.

As for pairing it with Sundaras ā€¦ thatā€™ll very likely be a massive noise-fest. Which is likely to be the case with all but the quietest high-end speaker amplifier also - itā€™s an inappropriate and somewhat pointless pairing.

11 Likes

Thanks for the awesome insights. Definitely cleared my head as I was this close to pulling the trigger.

So itā€™s really either the Topping A90, Schiit Jot 2, or FLA FA-10, huh.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s what @Torq was saying, just that a speaker amp isnā€™t always the best route. There are lots of options for the HE6seV2. Schiit LyR 3, AmpsAndSound Mogwai OG especially with KT88 power tubes, ZMF pendant, other AmpsAndSound amps, iFi Pro iCan, etc. You would want to look at the power rating of the amp at 50ohms and shoot for at least 4-5 watts but then you also want to find a synergistic pairing for the headphones. The mogwai og is my current favorite under 2k as it tends to round the edges a bit and takes the slam of the HE6seV2 to another level. I would say my least favorite pairing with them is the A90 which I also have. Also the more current the better in my opinion. For $200 options Iā€™m not really sure.

7 Likes

Not really.

The Jotunheim 2 is certainly a viable option, as would be the Lyr 3, for dedicated headphone amplifiers with enough power for the HE6SE V2 and that pair well with it overall.

I canā€™t comment on the FA-10 - I havenā€™t heard it.

I wonā€™t comment on the A90.

A Schiit Magnius would give you 3.2W into 50 ohms (via itā€™s balanced output), and be MUCH cleaner than the T-amp you mentioned for $200. A bit more power would be better, which would mean buying used for a Jotunheim 2 or Lyr 3, but even the Magnius would much better than what you have when it comes to the HE6SE V2.

There are inexpensive speaker amps thatā€™ll work well with the HE6SE V2, but none of them are T-amps and none of them are <$100. A couple of options would be:

• A Parasound Z-Amp (which I think @antdroid talks about above) would give you a clean 7.2W into the HE6SE V2 for $279 (new) using your L30 as a pre-amp.

• An eMotiva BasX A-100 would get you 8W into 50 ohms for $229 (new), again driven off your L30 as a pre-amp.

Neither would be ideal with the Sundara via the speaker outputs, but the eMotiva has an option to drive such headphones from the front panel that can be set in a way where it would work without audible noise.

7 Likes

The ZAMP I am using currently can be found for under $200 or even $100-150 range used on ebay and other marketplaces. I even saw one for $50 locally here but I didnā€™t reply fast enough. It works pretty well for a budget amp that is a Class AB with quality components.

You definitely do not want to use Sundara with a speaker amp unless its incredibly quiet. Even my Arya was hearing the noise floor of the speaker amps Ive tried and with a big reduction in gain. The HE6SE is less sensitive, so the noise floor isnā€™t very audible at all once I tuned my amp gain down, but thatā€™s a luxury that many amps dont have.

Spec-wise the Topping L30 probably has enough power (2.3W at 32 ohm) to push the HE6SE loud, though may be missing out on other things ?? Not sure how itā€™ll sound since Iā€™ve never tried one myself.

Iā€™ve heard good things from used Cambridge Audio amps too, which you can find for under $500 or even less. I used to own one and can say that even though their specs show ā€œlow wattageā€, they provide ample and clean sound for their published specs unlike some other brands which show max RMS with high distortionā€¦

And like Torq said earlier, some of the chinese amps that using the Texas Instrument IC power amp chips donā€™t provide the power supplies that get you even near the advertised power ratings.

8 Likes

Please do. I just made popcorn and need something entertaining to watch.

3 Likes

@torq yeah I am with @ProfFalkin I want to hear this.

@MRHifiReviews Ah yeah. Itā€™s just that I was choosing between either a cheap speaker amp OR the 3 head-amps I mentioned. So itā€™s one or the other for me. I should have mentioned that.

And yeah most people donā€™t really like the A90 with the HE-6SEV2 so I might have to rule it out as well. Too clinical, was it?

@Torq thanks again for the inputs.

I Did look into those speaker amps that antdroid has mentioned and they might be too big for my desktop setup. I am also outright scared to hook up the HE-6SE V2ā€™s to anything but a head-amp because I fear the cans will blow up. Not to mention that buying a speaker amp just for the HE-6SE V2ā€™s seems too wasteful of money for me. It would seem either a Magnius or a Jot 2 would be the most efficient route since I could use them with my other pairs.

antdroid
The Topping L30 actually provides less than the published. I think itā€™s around 1 W at 32 ohm. I donā€™t dislike how the HE-6SE V2ā€™s sound on it if Iā€™m being honest, but thereā€™s this itch that I know it can be better. It seems from your list of amps you used with these, the Jot 2 is my safest bet.

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Super helpful.

4 Likes

Possible Spoiler Alert:

@Torq loves the A90. More than air. Certainly more than the Woo 234. Itā€™s true, I swear. :wink:

8 Likes

Mine died connected to the a90. So, yeah, probably shouldnā€™t have said that.

Best they sounded was on a speaker amp for me. Space was an issue as well.

The he6se is a rabbit hole all on its own. If you choose that path just be ready for that. There is always this little voice that says ā€œwhat happens if I give it more power?ā€ Drove me bat crap crazy.

1 Like

In the wordā€™s of the immortal (or at least ā€œNot Dead Yetā€) John Cleese, per his ā€œAlbatrossā€ skit (Live at the Hollywood Bowl, 1982) ā€¦

ā€œYouā€™re not supposed to be smoking that.ā€

6 Likes

Yeah the sound is too clinical in my opinion paired with the HE6SEV2. The A90 is a reference amp for review purpose mostly. I donā€™t listen with it as often for overall enjoyment listening, unless itā€™s paired with a dark planar.

4 Likes

Is the sound of the HE6SEV 2 so great that itā€™s worth all the hassle? Serious question.

Not to me. But, definitely to others. Some swear itā€™s the best thing ever.

What hassle? There is no hassle, to me. All they need is a good performing amplifier, one that will also likely sound great with other headphones in your collection.

Every headphone needs synergy with an amp/Dac the only difference is the HE6seV2 just needs more power and current. I glad I have them in my stable their sound is very good with the right amp as well as very unique. So far they are my favorite Hifiman headphone I have heard.

7 Likes

The amplifier rabbit hole is available if you want to jump in. You donā€™t have to. :slight_smile:

Adoramaā€™s return policy is very painless, so you can always try and see if you like it or not.

3 Likes

Completely agree with MRphotography - no hassle at all.

As to the sound, prior to the the HE6se V2 my favorite listen were the Focal Clears through a Hagerman Tuba. Now, I am reaching for the HEā€™s more than I am the Clears. I am driving the HEā€™s with a Flux FA10 which has made a BIG difference. The FA10 is a great amp and I love with essentially everything in my collection. It has become the only solid state amp that I use.

5 Likes

That is an amp I want to hear one day! I think @bigshel99 has one too.

1 Like

Have you had a chance to compare the FA10 with the Jotunheim 2? If so, in your personal opinion, is it worth the extra cost to jump straight to the FA10 instead?

I would imagine that for 90% of the people getting the HE-6SE V2ā€™s, it would be no hassle at all since they would likely to have proper amplification for it already. As for the remaining 10% with no proper amp for it (Iā€™m included here), I CAN imagine that itā€™s sort of a hassle maybe because that amp upgrade I was planning for was supposed to at least be a year from when I got my Topping L30, but it is by no means a bad thing in my opinion. Itā€™s fun, even, going deeper into the rabbit hole and suddenly youā€™re looking at stuff previously way out of your price range.

But hey, at least I get to enjoy better amps 1 year sooner than planned soā€¦ itā€™s really ultimately up to you. This is just my personal take on things.

1 Like