iBasso SR2 - Official Thread

I also own the 6XX, and what I can say is that these two headphones are completely different. 6XX is much more open and airy compared to the iBasso SR2, but it also doesn’t share the more present sound characteristic of the SR2. With this being said, 6XX is more relaxed.

6XX is kind of a must-have when you are on the hunt for a true open-back, while iBasso SR2 is more of an icing on the cake - you want to own it once you already own an open-back headphone (if you are even looking for an open-back). I still prefer to use the SR2 over much more expensive headphones (the comfort, weight, and sound performance are what make is perfect for a daily driver, it’s just convenient).

Hifiman is more business oriented, iBasso was always focused on getting the best performance and value, it’s two completely different business approaches.

Please share your opinion, this is not a competition, it’s just about sharing your own experience :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I feel like my ears are betraying me. To me the SR2 is airier and soundstage is larger, but more mid-forward, 6xx is less mid forward?? I’m repeating the Chain by Fleetwood over and over. The cymbals on the 6xx sound more natural. The kick drums? are great on SR2, but lack punch on 6xx. SR2 is a tad too bright, but bearable. Others may like this, I think it’s the ‘sparkle’. The SR2 feels bigger, but vocals are close. Guitars are deeper away.

I agree 6xx is different, but still great.

Edit: did a pad swap and I definitely prefer the pads with larger perforations. Either way, eq is needed to either remove or add low end accordingly. The larger perforation pads is more open, but bass is borderline anemic. I’d rather add a low shelf 120hz +2db, than use the other pads.

3 Likes

I agree exactly, instead of EQ i use the xBass on my ifi devices and i am very satisfied with it.

2 Likes

I am enjoying the SR2 with the stock pads, no EQ either.

But again, swap the pads and see which one suits you the best, that’s the best you can do.

1 Like

Note: I won’t be providing photographs. I don’t have the time to do these beautiful cans justice. Please see @voja photos.
Note 2: I’m writing this review to offer another perspective and point of data on headphones with very few published impressions comparatively.

BLUF (Bottom-line, Up-front):

These are great cans with caveats. The two included pads provide distinct sound-signatures. Imaging with both pads is spot-on and although smaller in width than I liked, depth was very good.
Stock pads: Intimate, but not claustrophobic. Warm, a tad dark, muddy (veiled?) mids.
2nd pads: Larger soundstage, but not large. Full mids, but loses just about all the low-end. Smooth and enjoyable treble.

Introduction and Background

Being my first review (and likely my only review), there is a lot I’d like to disclaim beforehand. I’m a self-proclaimed budding audiophile. Like quite a few before me, it was really gaming and movie audio and the inability to use my speaker setup at all times that necessitated finally looking into a “good” headphone system. Music came after hearing some of my favorite tracks on the trusty 6XX. Again, like so many others, that cursed headphone was the gateway to this addiction.

So, why should you trust my review? Well, you shouldn’t. You shouldn’t trust just about any review for audio equipment. Think about it, just about every facet of headphones is subjective; comfort, sound signature, aesthetics, etc. TRIGGER WARNING Now some may argue objective data can be utilized to prove a headphone is “good”. My opinion is this is about the only thing I believe to be 100% false. Eventually all audiophiles will come to realize, sometimes after massive damage to their wallets, FR graphs can be misleading, incomplete, or downright wrong. They can supplement and confirm something you HEAR, but simply can’t portray the whole picture. Why am I opening this can of worms? Because of this graph: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/ibasso-sr2/ and this comment from Crinacle ranking: “Shouty, shrill and lacking the proper heft in the bass region”. To keep this somewhat short and on-point, you review the FR and make your own judgements. I don’t hear shouty or shrill, bass is lacking, but it’s still too much with the stock pads. ::man_shrugging:

Gear Used:
PC>Tidal Hi-fi > Bifrost 2 > Lyr 3
PC> TidalHi-fi > Modi 3+ > Heresy
iPad>Tidal>Qudelix 5k

Build and Comfort
Fantastically luxurious for the price point. Pads are soft and plush. Build is solid, but not DT1990 solid. One big black mark on this is the terrible headband adjustment mechanism. It doesn’t work. At all. To keep the size, the stopper must be loosened (torx screw), lowered, and tightened. Given the wonderful leather strap, the comfort of the earpads and the sonic quality, I’ve forgiven iBasso this flaw. It also helps that I wear the headphones at max size anyway, but if my wife wants to put this on, it doesn’t hold the size and requires the aforementioned adjustment.
The SR2 comes with an extra set of pads (more on this later), one of the best cables I’ve used, and a nice carrying case. I believe the SR2 to be a solid value based on sonics alone, but these included accessories really push it over the top.

Power requirements
The SR2 is very efficient and can be driven from just about anything. I’ve been happy using the tiny Qudelix K5. It does take quite nicely to the Lyr 3 stack and rewards the listener with a bit more expansiveness and tighter low-ends.

Sound signatures:
As stated previously, the included two pads alter the sound signature almost completely. The stock pads have smaller perforations. The second pads have larger and more numerous perforations. I’ll cover each section with both pads. I believe I swapped pads at least 15 times. The pad swap is the same mechanism used by the DT1990. Interestingly, the notch was covered with tape that had to be removed before pads could be swapped. Not sure why, but there you have it.

Sub-bass - both pads:

Sub-bass is linear and tight on both pads. Both pads feel light in this department, but the 2nd pad with the larger perforations is considerably worse. On tracks like Breath Into Me by Marian Hill, there should be a consistent ~40hz thump that is felt. It’s just not here. It’s worth noting, the sub-bass can certainly be eq’d in, at which point, it’s massive, dynamic, tight, and dry. The closest I’ve personally gotten to a subwoofer feeling in a headphones. Only the LCD-GX from my current collection can best the SR2 and that’s mostly due to speed and reverb (or lack thereof really). It’s also Planar drivers, so not really fair to compare.

Bass - both pads:

Lows are enjoyable on both pads, but the stock pad has more quantity of base. Quality is about the same with both pads. I’m really partial to lows and believe both pads need more to fill out EDM, Metal, and Hip-Hop tracks. Classical, Jazz, and others may get away with the stock pads tuning, except for the caveats mentioned below.

Mids - Stock pads:

This is where the headphones weakness (in my perception) really comes into focus. This is also where the cans get contradictory. Remember how I said I’d like more bass on BOTH pads? Well, the thing is the amount of bass that is there, from about 100hz to 350hz, already drowns out the mids giving a muddy and -dare i say it- a veiled sound. It somehow manages to also pull the mids way in. I wish I could articulate it better, but essentially, think of it like taking sound and crunching it up like a ball of paper. Now before anyone tries to hang me from my toes, no, it’s not that extreme, but it is scrunched. Male vocals are unnatural and excessively deep. Female vocals are also affected, but not as extremely.

Mids - 2nd pads:
Everything I wrote above? The opposite. The lows are reduced, mids are pushed a couple rows away. Vocals especially shine and, in my opinion, rival the fabled 6XX.

Highs - Stock pads:
Stock pads don’t affect the highs to the same extent they do the mids. Highs are clear, but dark. Cymbal hits like the one right at the beginning of Dreams (Fleetwood Mac) are there, but not sparkly. Nothing is excessive and there is a slight roll-off, but I imagine folks who like the Audeze house sound would be at home here. To sum it up: the highs are “chill” with these pads.

Highs - 2nd pads:
Once again the contrast is stark. These pads are brighter, sparkly, while not being sibilant. Cymbal strikes can’t be ignored, horns are bright and evoke emotion. Overall, you’re not ignoring bright tracks while wearing these pads.

Timbre - Stock pads:
If you’ve not noticed the pattern by now…. Once again the low-end imbalance murks up the water here. It’s less noticeable on percussion instruments and say Cello or bass, but piano highs and violin sound hazed.

Timbre - 2nd pads:
Sigh. You get it right? It’s just better. It’s consistent and the best I’ve personally experienced. Listening to Cash’s cover of Hurt every strum and pluck sounds accurate, crisp and clear.

Imaging, detail, speed - both pads:
In these categories there is much closer consistency with the exception of detail. Because the highs are not veiled in the second pads, it’s easier to discern detail. However, I would argue the detail is there with both pads, it’s just easier to hear on the 2nd pads.
Speed is a bit slow if you’re nitpicking. I felt like I could hear a noticeable reverb, but on second, third and 3209 listen, I couldn’t always pick it out.
Imaging is spot on and one of the best I’ve experienced. This was especially evident to me in a recent Borderlands 3 session. I could pick out each shot and knew exactly when a character was approaching from the rear, sides etc. For music, I use this video with eyes closed and pause randomly to see if I can pick where the instrument is (highly scientific, I know!). I could clearly separate and place the different strings even when the music was at its busiest.

Conclusion:
I obviously like this headphone with the 2nd pads quite a bit. It’s important to note, it’s not that the stock pads are unusable, it just wasn’t my preferred sound. No headphone is perfect, but using the 2nd pads, and adding a low-shelf +3db at 105hz I absolutely prefer this headphone to my 6XX, LCD-GX, DT990. I’ve also had a chance to audition (for at least two weeks): DT1990, Sundara, Arya, AKG 712 PRO, and LCD-X. I’m not saying this headphone sounded “better” than all or any of those. I’m saying this headphone fits my preference for sound, comfort, and value better than all of those. Especially Hifiman. I’ve been vocal about this before, but the things Hifiman gets away with should be criminal. Especially the $1600 Arya. I’ll stop here :).
Also, I will reiterate that I am a novice. It’s likely someone like Resolve, Chrono, or DarthPool will rip this headphone apart and point out things I either didn’t hear, or wasn’t bothered by. Professionals will also have TOTL headphones to compare it to and KNOW what is possible. I simply don’t and like I’ve always said: ya don’t know what ya don’t know ™ .

Thank you for reading!! Hope it was helpful.

6 Likes

Really nice review @Morgrim.

1 Like

Imagine you want to get to know a new life partner with the intention of possibly living with him/her.

Now there are two options:

1.) I first collect all data about this person, acquaintances, curriculum vitae, internet and social media in advance!

Then, if at all, go to the first meeting with a prejudice and a prepared opinion :walking_man:.

As a rule, it is then a rather joyless exploration :unamused: of the other person, often with the intention of getting your own prepared opinion confirmed :face_with_monocle:

2.) I approach this new person full of curiosity, listen to her, get to know her little by little, have fun with this person, concentrate and focus on her, get to know their strengths and weaknesses, maybe like these weaknesses because it makes that person unique and special :100:.
Perhaps learn that the comparatively few weaknesses are acceptable, because her strengths are so strong that it is simply fun and joy to walk the path together :couple_with_heart_woman_man:.

All this would be free of prejudice, unencumbered and open in the outcome :raised_hands:.

Now just transfer this metaphor to headphones and see the connections.

Frequency fetishists often miss this fun :disappointed:.

But I like these nerds, because every now and then it allows me to recognize their “work”.

If I think something is wrong with my headphones, to be confirmed graphically :laughing:.

PS .: I like the iBasso SR2.

5 Likes

You won’t find me arguing with your take on the Objective Data that comes from testing any headphones. My opinion on this ( and the Test Data from most all other kinds of equipment, Audio & Non-Audio ) is that the Test Data / Objective Data will tell you only what “May” be in store with the headphones. The only true test is your own hearing. Nothing else will do.

So, I usually look at the Tests then I read the Reviews. Then, if I decide to buy, I go in with an open mind and I listen, listen, listen …

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

You’re too kind @prfallon69. Thank you!

@Lothar_Wolf Thank you for bringing this headphone to my attention. I’ve read your other threads and I believe we have very similar tastes. I think I’ll be ordering the Aeon 2c Noire (I have some store credit to use). I love your metaphor and you’re right, it does bring proper perspective.

@mgosdin That approach has taken me a while to arrive to. After testing several highly recommended headphones and not “feeling” them, I started to think something was wrong with my ears.

I would also like to reiterate I didn’t mean to turn this into an FR discussion, but after seeing the FR graph quoted in another forum as proof the headphones were “bad”, I got very irked. While I can’t scientifically set the record straight (I have no sort of measuring rig, nor do I want one), I can give my humble two-pence. I’ll not deny I had a bit of fun writing it up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. Criticisms and questions welcome!

5 Likes

Very nice write-up!

I really liked the fact that you took the time to write each section individually for each set of pads… that definitely took a lot of swapping and concentration.

I greatly appreciate your contribution!!!

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words and raising awareness around this headphone. I hope I grow to love it as much as you do!

1 Like

A good choice, I’m curious how the Noire sounds.

We will receive this from our dealers in Germany a little later.

I’ll let you know. Estimated shipping is mid-Jan. This is reported to be very close to the Harman curve so I’m curious if I fit the mold :wink:

1 Like

:+1: :pray: :exclamation:

1 Like

Has anyone compared these to the Focal Celestee? Particular in regards to (sub-)bass.

1 Like

Not that I know of.

I myself am interested how Focal headphones compare to these.

I know I am not as active here as I used to be before, but thought I’d let everyone know that I recently compared three sets of pads for the SR2 and wanted to share it with everyone.

The Approach

This whole A/B test was made possible with the help of iBasso, who supplied me two identical pairs of the SR2. By this I mean that I have two SR2 headphones with the exact same cables. If it weren’t for these two pairs, I wouldn’t have been able to write a valid A/B comparison due to the great amount of time it takes to swap out the ear-pads. This way I had two pairs of headphones that only had different pads, allowing me to just take one off my head, put the other one on and plug it in.

I personally believe that it’s crucial to have two identical pairs of anything in order to write a valid A/B test… especially when audio is in question. This eliminates the most subjective factor which is audio memory — the time it takes to swap out the pads just presents a major flaw due to the fact that anything said or written based on such an A/B test would be based on the very subjective audio memory. While the test I carried out was also based on my audio memory, it significantly cut down the time needed to be able to swap between the two variants. It took me only a couple of seconds to swap between the two variants, while it would’ve taken a couple minutes (if not more than 10 minutes) to perform a pad swap.

Setup:

iBasso DX300 MAX
Android OS
Ultimate Mode On
Digital Volume 90%
Filter D3
Low Gain

SR2 with the balanced 4.4mm iBasso CB17 cable

Stock ear-pads — small perforation vs larger perforation

The difference between these two variations is beyond significant. In terms of sheer loudness difference, I would say that the larger perforation ear-pads are 25%-30%. Besides loudness, the larger perforation ear-pads lose that vacuum-like seal that the stock pads offer. This affects the SR2 in a couple of ways. The first being the isolation, and the second being the airiness. In other words, the larger perforation pads sound more open-back, while the stock pads give more of a closed-back experience.

In terms of sound performance, once again, it comes as no surprise that the two ear-pads significantly differ and affect it. In short: the smaller perforation pads offer a much more intense presentation with softer highs and much deeper lows, while the larger perforation pads offer an open-back-like experience where the highs are more pronounced, the upper mids are sharper, and the lows are more tamed.

Let’s talk about vocals for a second. On the larger perforation ones, they are sharper and more airy, but that might not be what everybody is looking for. From just A/B testing between these two pads, I personally preferred the smaller perforation ones because they have more pleasant-sounding vocals.

As expected, both have their pros and cons. The smaller perforation ear-pads provide the physical sensation of rumble, which is something that the larger perforation pads don’t offer, and this rumble sensation mostly comes from that vacuum-like seal that the larger perforation pads don’t have. The larger perforation pads have more details in the upper range, resulting in crisper and clearer treble tones. The biggest advantage that the larger perforation pads have over the smaller perforation ones is the extra space in the soundstage and overall presentation. Elements have more room to breathe, and thus have better definition and clarity. The smaller perforation pads offer a more intense, cinematic-like experience, and that’s something that not everyone is looking for. Also, that extra oomph and rumble in the lower end on the smaller perforation pads provides a less clear, muddier sound (in comparison to the larger perforation ones), and I think that this alone might be the reason why someone migrates to the larger perforation pads.

As a whole, my preference is the stock pads (smaller perforation) because of the more intense sound presentation, and I’m also a sucker for that vacuum-like seal and physical sensation of rumble. It brings more excitement to the SR2.

I would say that anyone looking for a more balanced and neutral sound signature should go for the larger perforation pads.

Stock small perforation ear-pads vs Dekoni Audio Elite Hybrid Fostex TH / Denon AH ear-pads

The Dekoni Audio pads offer a completely different feel from the stock pads. In terms of its physical characteristics, they are noticeably smaller than the stock pads. This goes for both the inner and outer diameter of the pads, but also for the the thickness and surface area. Though it didn’t appear to be a major difference when measured and A/B compared the pads, on the ears it’s quite significant. The Dekoni pads feel more cozy, which is nothing new for velour.

At first I thought the sound would be louder on the Dekoni pads, but it turned out it’s completely the opposite. The stock pads are considerably louder than the Dekoni pads, which I’m thinking has a lot to do with the materials and the inner diameter of the pads. In terms of the sound, it kind of falls between the stock small perforation and the larger perforation pads. The small perforation pads have a bigger sound in general, and they still have a deeper and more present low end. Even though the Dekoni pads have less presence, they are still capable of that physical sensation of rumble that the stock pads have. Something which I was very surprised by is the loudness. The mids sound better and more refined on the Dekoni pads. Also, I found the timbre and overall tonality to be better on the Dekoni pads. The highs remain at a somewhat same level, no major differences there. If anything, the Dekoni pads are a tad brighter. Now, the most significant difference is the soundstage and imaging. This is where the thinner nature of the Dekoni plays a major role, because this is what’s causing the smaller soundstage and overall even more of a closed-back experience.

I would say that the Dekoni pads might be the most refined out of the three, but am still not 100% sure on that. They are all different, that’s for sure, and this is something that allows you to play around with the pads and find what suits you the most.

I am personally having a hard time choosing between the Dekoni pads and the stock small perforation pads.

The stock pads give you a true grand experience and presentation, very intimate, growling lows, good mids, good highs. The Dekoni pads give you a more tame low end, mids with better tonality and timbre, and good highs.

Conclusion​

To think that a headphone priced below $1k comes with two sets of pads that alter the sound performance this much is hard to believe. It’s beyond rare. This being said, I think that anyone with a SR2 has a lot of ways to fine-tune its sound performance and is extremely lucky to be an owner of such a headphone. What’s more, if you own iBasso’s DX300, you pretty much have an end game setup. Why do I say this? Taking into consideration of all the amp modules and amp module mods available for the DX300, you can consider the combination of SR2 and DX300 a platform. A true platform which allows for precise fine-tuning. I think people are really missing out on the SR2, and I think it’s mainly due to its fairly low price. If iBasso were to price it at around $2k, I think it would get the praise it deserves.

1 Like