iPhone friendly portable amp/dac/dap?

iBasso dx300 vs iDSD micro signature

Originally, I was going to do this as a 4 way. dx300 vs signature vs btr5 vs qudelix. In reality, I think I will be keeping one of the bigger units and one (or both) of the portable. Consider this a Part 1.

Let me get something out of the way about the dx300 and the signature: If I were involved in a blind, volume matched test on the same songs, I am not sure I could tell them apart sonically. There, I said it. These two are shockingly similar to me. And, I think part of that may be the Zen.

To make sure it wasn’t a source quality issue, I even re-subscribed to amazon hd music and put them on as level a high quality playing field as I could. So, sonically, between the two, I don’t care.

Preface

In my headphone experience, what I found I wanted in an amp pairing is driving the headphone with authority. I still am not 100% sure how to describe this. I can give some examples: dx3 pro just barely got there with sundara. SP200 did it easily. The zen are fairly easy to drive to good if not great sound. When powered well, it feels like that power develops at a lower volume. For example, if I crank the volume on the apple dongle, I definitely get that feeling. But on a better source I get that feeling at a much lower volume. I can’t quite describe what it is that I am hearing, but both the dx300 and signature have it on the zen. This is what I am looking for when I say “with authority”.

I also want to say: Testing with only the Zen is probably limiting the differences between these units. The zen seems to take any source and make it great for me. I feel like something like a final a8000 or even a monarch, I would have more opinions here. I just don’t with the Zen and that may be one of the reasons I love it so much. Love Zen! Love Zen!

Signature

The signature drives the zen on eco (no iematch required) with the same authority as the dx300 with high gain. This is frankly impressive. Nothing beyond eco is required and the usable volume on the knob is excellent with plenty of headroom even including the issue below.

Channel Imbalance - There is extreme channel imbalance until around 10 o’clock on the knob. This is a problem in normal and turbo modes as balanced sound can be really loud at the required knob position. I didn’t notice any advantage of using anything above eco for zen. (I absolutely did for sundara and the other over ears I tried on my previous signature)

Volume knob - It’s fine. I do prefer the tactile feeling and response of the dx300 more. And based on mode you are in, you have to be very careful how much you turn it.

IEMatch - On the zen, this really isn’t needed. I did play with it, and I couldn’t find any advantage for it on the zen. It does make normal and turbo mode “usable” in terms of volume on the knob. No issues with hiss or anything else so far. In fact, it might be slightly blacker in general than the dx300 overall.

Xbass - While it’s not bad, on the zen it’s just silly. The zen has the ultimate balance for me as is. This switch is completely unnecessary. I could see it warming up something with a less rich bass signature. (maybe a monarch?)

3D Thing - This sometimes makes a huge change and sometimes it’s like a fake switch. I am not sure it’s an improvement. It just doesn’t seem to matter much at all to me. Some frequencies basically just get louder. I haven’t heard any benefit really.

The Plug - It’s stupid. Don’t be different just to be different. Pick ANY OTHER PLUG. Any of them. This stupid plug might get it sent back because it’s so hard to find a cable situation that works. It’s a really stupid reason to be thrown out as a product. (Not to mention it just potentially ruled out several other of ifi products)

Firmwares - IF I cared about iDSD or MQA, I would throw this device out a window. Burn it or go buy some explosives. One firmware for one thing and another for another? What if I want both? Answer: buy a diablo ($250 more). But, I want IEMatch too! Answer: buy it separately but not in 4.4 which is what’s on these units. Yeah. This is a big fat ugly wart along with the plug. But this one? This one I don’t care about. I have zero interest in either MQA or DSD. So, there it is. Oh, you have interest in them? Don’t buy this.

dx300

Well, it’s basically a bigger dx160. Warts and all.

I preferred the dx300 in high gain mode. I felt like anything short of that simply didn’t bring out the best in the Zen.

Updates were smooth - It upgraded to the latest firmware and then I installed my 2 music apps with apk pure. No issues.

Snappy - It doesn’t lag or think the way the dx160 did. This is good.

It’s HUGE - I mean, I saw pictures. I read the weight. But it makes my iPhone Pro Max feel like a runt. Like, seriously, enormous.

Bluetooth button works (mostly) - IT at least re-connects on its own without having to fiddle with settings or re-pairing. See problems below.

Hiss - Saying hiss is strong. Every once in a while I could hear a very very subtle background hiss that had no bearing on the music. But, I didn’t hear anything on the signature ever. I even went and listened for it.

The case - It sucks. It slips off. It makes the buttons impossible to use. No. Just no. They should have included that cheaper TPU one I see available for it. But, at the same time, I wouldn’t use it without the case. It needs one.

Problems - A few of the issues, like songs simply not advancing, are clearly software issues. These continued over from the dx160. External buttons simply not working? Yep, still there. AND when that happens the bluetooth buttons also don’t work. Yeah. Not looking good iBasso. Not looking good.

Portability

Let’s be honest, neither of these are an actual portable solution. I need to give the edge to the dx300 here because it doesn’t need the wire like the signature. But, when actually in use, I prefer to place them on a table near me, not a pocket. The spaghetti mess that is the signature is simply not conducive to any listening that isn’t at a table.

dx300 - There is an advantage here. When I do have an extra pocket (wearing a hoodie or a jacket, etc) the dx300 is fine in the extra pocket. Except the stupid buttons fail. When in t-shirt and jeans mode? Fanny pack? maybe? No. Just no.

signature - I am going to have to try it for a while. I think there might be portable scenarios where it works just fine. But that isn’t going to become clear quickly.

Brief comments on btr5

I am still planning to compare the btr5 and the qudelix as a separate post. As I don’t have the qudelix yet I just want to give some guidance on the BTR5 with more details later. When using the BTR5 wired, it seems like a slightly lighter sound. This may be a good thing as the Zen itself adds all the warmth it needs. I also have no problems with authority. It tickled my eardrums with loud clear bass just like the others (admittedly likely at a higher volume). So, on an SQ perspective? Are the others better? Yeah, but man the diminishing returns are extreme at 6x and 12x more money. Geezum. Will have more opinions later. One thing: Having a physical volume knob is very satisfying. Analog is cool.

What am I going to do?

dx300 - Return it. I simply have no tolerance for a company that can have such blatant usability issues across multiple products for years. If you can’t make your products better, I won’t pay for them. Test your products for 5 minutes in the real world and then at least fix the broken crap. Not this case, fix the buttons. Those two simple things may have caused me to keep it. Instead, your brand is banned from my life. And I will vocally say hard no to all iBasso products when asked. Deleted. Exterminated. Ba-bye.

I am going to keep it long enough to determine if it’s worth ordering a hiby r6 2020. As there are some advantages to a dap. And that is the biggest argument against the signature below.

signature - Will I keep it? I don’t know yet. It does what it claims to do. And it does it very well. The question is does it fit into my life well enough to keep it? I honestly don’t know yet. It has a 60 day trial, so I think I am going to give it a longer term honest chance. I am not having the problems I had with the first unit. And the only flaws so far are ones I knew going in and simply need to decide if I can live with them. It’s an easy to recommend product given that. Does it fit your needs on paper? Buy it. If not, don’t. Done and Done.

Fin.

5 Likes