Is a dedicated DAC necessary?

The general advice I’ve found online is to max out your volume (or 97%). This most closely resembles the high levels of a dedicated line out, and best preserves the content.

3 Likes

Cool. That makes sense.

Thank you

1 Like

2 volts is the standard line in that schiit bases there performance specs upon. Don’t know what voltage is associated with your soundboard but I’d contact customer support and let them know what you’re trying to accomplish. Only reason I know this is that I was using a earstudio dac/amp for a bit as an experiment. Under no load the output could be set to 2 volts into the magni. Than I just used a 3.5 to rca into the magni. Might not be a bad dac to look into down the road. Lots of flexibility with it as it can make any amp into a LDAC bluetooth amp and then any headphone BT compatible. Their app is also bananas. Can even run 2.5 balanced out but that wouldn’t help with the magni. It’s a very versatile piece of hardware

2 Likes

Funny you mention that, as I previously had a BTR5 that I could’ve used. But I just ended up going with the Drop SDAC, which is performing quite well.

I think I hear a difference between the SDAC and the Hidizs Sonata that I was using at first, but haven’t done a formal A/B test.

That said, what you’re saying makes sense. I’m starting to appreciate how versatile a discrete dac/amp setup is, since the option to upgrade either one is there without getting an entirely new device.

3 Likes