Jazz Music Discussion

Thanks for the recommendation. A very talented and energetic jazz pianist with a latin beat. I love this album too!

One other pianist you you might like is Michele Camilo. Incredible energy and latin influence as well.

Enjoy

Monk,_Trane,Miles&_Me

Interesting spin.

4 Likes

I like Larry Coryell. Saw him twice in the early days. He played Penn State, and I helped out some friends at the Jazz Club, got to meet the band while working the side door security. About 1973-74.

I do think he had a bit of an ego back then, sort of a Neil Schon of Jazz…

2 Likes

I enjoy some of his music. When he moved to Orlando I got to see him out and about playing in small clubs. Interesting guitarist.

2 Likes

SWEDISH JAZZ GROUPS

I am a big fan of Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, Jacky Terrason and Brad Medldau piano jazz.

Through Roon Radio, I have discovered quite a few European groups that I really like: Esbjorn Svensson (E.S.T.), Ulf Wakenius, Espen Eriksen Trio, Martin Tingvall (Tingvall Trio), Lars Danielson, Jan Lundgren Trio, Dan Berglund, “In The Country”, etc.

1 Like

I heard that Chick Corea passed away today at 79. Saw him twice, great concerts.

2 Likes

I love Japanese jazz and it’s so well recorded and mastered. Anything off of Three Blind Mice record label is great and worth a spin! Lately I’ve been listening to a lot of Blue note era Eric Dolphy and late 50’s Kenny Dorham and Sonny Rollins stuff.

2 Likes

More details.

Chick Corea

2 Likes

Have listened to several albums; they are well recorded, and there are enough of them to address many tastes. Here is the list of their albums.

Three Blind Mice Label Discography

2 Likes

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto & Isao Suzuki are my favorites. Also green caterpillar has the coolest album cover!!

2 Likes

Have been going through the Three Blind Mice discography, and ran across this compilation of groups: “J Jazz:Deep Modern Jazz from Japan 1969-1984”

5 Likes

Really nice thread and got me a few new ideas, Gogo Penguin was a brilliant recommendation.

One thing I’d like to add: Jazz bass players: Marcus Miller. And for more (i.e. 3) bass players: S.M.V. the collaboration between M Miller, S Clarke, and V Wooten.

2 Likes

I’ve been enjoying this one quite a bit lately:

2 Likes

I second that. Thoughtful, inventive piano jazz trio, complex rhythms. Most enjoyable.

https://gogopenguin.co.uk

and Marcus Miller is a nice find. He has been on a number of jazz albums, but now is the named leader of his recent releases.

1 Like

Hiromi Uehara is a talented jazz pianist, well worth a listen. Thanks for the tip.

I really appreciate the recommendations on this thread. Thanks, guys!

1 Like

A couple of my favorite jazz discoveries of my last few years are the album Life Of by the guitarist Steve Tibbetts and the album Provenance by the bass guitarist Bjorn Meyer.

Both are exquisitely recorded for the ECM label, and both focus on the particular sound and tones of their respective guitarists (rather than giving time to the traditional jazz trio instruments of trumpet, sax, and piano). I’d be curious if other folks have heard these and if you have other similar albums to recommend. Try as I might, I can’t find much else that I love so much.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s a great comp. I have it on vinyl or something very similar from the same label as it has the exact same layout on the cover

1 Like

Pretty cool poster

8 Likes

Nice that Mingus gets his own branch!

2 Likes

5 Likes