Jazz Music Discussion

Wow thanks! No, I got paid an advance when I did the book, but unless it was to go into a second printing, there wouldn’t be royalties. They also paid me for a second edition, so it was fine. But it’s been 14 years since that one came out. Fortunately, a lot of the places are still open. Hope you enjoy it. I think the photos kick everything up a notch.

3 Likes

And besides, I got to hear a ton of music basically for free.

3 Likes

Tingvall Trio: Swedish pianist, German drummer and Cuban double bass. But nothing gets lost in translation. Roon Radio delivers!

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. They have a nice fusion going on. Fluid. The basslines remind of Ernest Ranglin’s Below the Bassline album (one of my favorites). Cuba and Jamaica are both in the Caribbean, after all. Great things coming out of Sweden also from Ulf Wakenius.

1 Like

Thats awesome that you have seen great shows at the vanguard!

I was either crazy or fortunate enough to quit my nice job in Atlanta and move to NYC with about 5 bucks in my pocket in 2000 and pursue my ambition to be a jazz critic. Totally insane!!! But it worked out, despite a lot of road bumps (a lot) and I later ended up as a (mostly) film critic for the Wall Street Journal for 6-7 years, also writing about music. It’s been pure chaos, this life in cultural journalism, but has always landed me in interesting places … like the Vanguard. Many times! (Although my favorite spot was across from my place in Brooklyn, called Barbes)

6 Likes

Cool story and journey! Thanks for sharing and being a part of our community :notes:

Thanks! This is one of the best forums I’ve ever encountered. Such a low BS ratio and people are friendly, intelligent, helpful and not snotty. I’ve learned a lot!

3 Likes

I’m so glad it worked out for you. My wife had a similar random path as a TV critic. She was the entertainment editor for the Chicago Tribune and when the TV critic left, she filled in for a year and liked it enough that she took on the role full time, about the same time you became a jazz critic. Her favorite part of the job was blogging, and the Tribune told her it was a fad that would never last. She went on to be the TV critic at Variety, but reviewing the huge volume of new TV shows became so overwhelming that she decided to freelance instead, so that she can pick the assignments she wants to work on.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Nice. I’ve bounced between film, pop music, TV and art writing for my whole working life. Lately, been doing all kinds of longer form work, but not as much daily/weekly stuff. I’m a fan of Variety. Guy Lodge is one of the best film critics going.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly concur and likewise!

1 Like

This album is special. I was looking for the elusive 2010 collaboration between Wynton Marsalis and Eric Clapton, and found this and clicked. Now I have to find some kids. It’s Wynton Marsalis at the Lincoln Center. Favorite tunes, unexpected treatments.

1 Like

This Clapton collaboration Play_the_Blues-_Live_from_Jazz_at_Lincoln_Center

3 Likes

Thank you. I can’t find this streaming at all, had to go to DISCOGS and order a CD.

On Amazon it notes the CD’s come from over the pond.

Are you ready for the Black Mystery School?

The History of Mystery

1 Like

E.S.T the Esbjorn Svensson Trio, Live in London. European jazz piano trio in the style of Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett. Wonderful improvisation on the piano. Unfortunately, Svennson died in a car accident, but they have 11 albums produced. Big hit in Europe, but not so much in the United States.

4 Likes

Great recommendation on Ulf Wakenius! I was rereading this thread today, and ran across your recommendation. I just pulled up “LOVE IS REAL” and am totally enjoying it. Thanks for bringing him to my attention. Great stuff.

Why so many great jazz artists in Sweden? Why not?

Just spent 3 hours listening to Roon Radio’s suggestions in response to this album. An ecstatic music experience - where the music is so palpable that it transcends the gear that presents it. Fantastic.

4 Likes

I’m not big into jazz, but I do want to share one of my favorite artists - Jamaican pianist Monty Alexander. I love this live album, at the Harlem Kingston Express.

1 Like