Just for fun: Do Sennheiser HD-6xx get loud with just iPhone, iPAD or MacBook Pro vs Portable Amp!

Remember all headphones have a quoted Impedance & Sensitivity and you can calculate the rest of the numbers.

SPL rating

2 Likes

It’s generated by an app I wrote. It’s one of many functions the app has. The app contains, among other things, all the salient data for every relevant headphone and IEM (for this function it’s just the sensitivity and impedance data that’s required, but its database contains a lot more information), you pick the one you want from a list, and it outputs the table with all the values for the indicated SPL levels.

7 Likes

Right. I had forgotten about this parameter. So I’m just a few extra cells away in Excel then.

Still, I may try to measure it again to see if I have other findings. This is more for education purposes.

Nice.

Do you guys know where is the procedure for calculating the sensitivity in dynamic drivers, for instance? I’m sure there is a norm somewhere. Just out of curiosity.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Normally most data give you Ohms and Sensitivity in dB per watt. For my table I convert this to dB per volt, Once you have this you go back and used standard OHM Law equations V=IR I= V/R P=IV

There are a number of great blogs on this at Benchmark Media Systems looking this and more.

HEADPHONE IMPEDANCE AND SENSITIVITY

INTERPRETING THD MEASUREMENTS - THINK DB NOT PERCENT!

SPEAKER SENSITIVITY AND AMPLIFIER POWER

Do Specifications Lie? Do Our Ears Lie? Where does the Truth Lie?

4 Likes

Excellent resources, thank you!

2 Likes

I never calculate anything, I just look at the charts you can find on phone sites if you don’t mind a little digging. I don’t recall which phone was recommended for the HD600 but for the sundara and many other planars it was the iPhone 6s that was mentioned the most often. That particular model is known to have a different DAC. It was the last iPhone model to feature the miniplug jack which makes it saught after on the used market. I have one, and also an iPhone XS. The XS takes better pictures but for sound quality the 6s easily beats it.

I have seen those sites, but with Headphones like the Dan Clark Aeon Flow it good to understand what it current need are, even iPHONE 6s will current limit. Note you can get the same power as iPhone 6 on any iPAD still, It the Dongle that the issue it does not supply enough current ( Planners) or Voltage swing ( Dynamic) for some headphones. 30 - 35 Ohm headphones with a sensitivity > 96 dB/1 mW you have great experance on iPhone or iPad