Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC - Review

had a nice Elegia deal in germany at Projekt-Audio(where I bought the ifi xDSD new for 400 instead 449) for 699 Euro whitch is even cheaper than importing for 699 Dollars(in US was the same deal 699 instead of 899)+ Taxes and I want a new one.
Had more than the regular 899 for Elegia saved up and then came the 177x Go drop and the 789 in may + SMSL SU-8.
So at the end of the year I saved up for a new Elegia- no problem!
But wow 499 is very good price
AND the Ananda- hurts my heart. But not at the moment

1 Like

I had the SMSL on order from Amazon when it was available for 170€ on prime day recently but cancelled the order later on because of the multiple comments of people who encountered all kind of technical issues with the unit. If you want a (cheap) DAC with the new sabre chip it might make more sense to go with the pro-ject pre box digital S2 which was reviewed favourably by @Torq
I don’t want to derail this thread much more though.
I’m also be interested in getting the Airist or the Modi MB right now but can’t decide which way to go yet.

2 Likes

I’m preferable to the RDAC over the Multibit…but, they are both great options, I think the RDAC is “sweeter” sounding, but I haven’t had extensive time with the Multibit to give a solid rec there though.

1 Like

Sweet sounds good :smile:
Does the RDAC need to run 24/7 like the Schiit MBs?

1 Like

I don’t think so but, I’ve read it takes some time to warm up and hit its optimal performance. But I haven’t noticed any major changes by turning it on and listening right away, I’m sure a more discerning ear could.

That being said it runs cool and I haven’t turned mine off for awhile…mostly because I forget it is on…it is the only thing I leave on by accident occasionally.

3 Likes

ok short update - went for the Elegia 499 deal
could not resist - hahaa - positive and happy headshake - I knew me

so the SMSL SU-8 will wait a month or I save up a month longer for the Airist R2R (if available)
and I use my ifi xDSD >line out> with the THX 789 AAA(may drop should ship end oft september)
my preordered DT 177x Go drop should arrive at the same time with the THX 789 - that goes on sale -can´t cancel the order - or my wife gets it as christmas gift… will see

thanks to the community

3 Likes

Some nice gear to come. Hope you like your new stuff. Have a great time with them especially the THX 789 AAA and elegia deal.

1 Like

thank you Paul

2 Likes

The Elegia is very easy to drive, so I think your current gear will work very well while you wait on your new toys :wink:

1 Like

yes it was used to audition the Elegia and many others like AOC for example
at our workstation runs a SMSL M6- also quite cabable

1 Like