Matrix Audio Element:X - DAC/Amp/Streamer - Official Thread

That really is a very nice clean setup. Congrats.

1 Like

@Torq, I was wondering if you had a chance to try either the Element X or X-Sabre Pro with the X-SPDIF 2 when you listened to either unit. If you did, what was your takeaway?

Thanks.

I’ve played with the X-S/PDIF 2, but not with either the Element X or the X-SABRE Pro. Not really much point … the Element X is a not something I would consider for any use case that wasn’t direct network-fed Roon and they both have an equivalent USB input on them already anyway.

The only case I can see for the X-S/PDIF 2 is if you need to feed a DAC that either does not have a USB input and your source/transport doesn’t already have an S/PDIF or I2S output on it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m more interested in it paired with X-Sabre Pro via I2S. It’d also act as a ‘splitter’ outputting to a secondary DAC.

I was curious about its performance.

By definition, it’ll be no better than the native USB input on the X-SABRE Pro. As, internally that has essentially the same USB stage as the S/PDIF 2, and converts it to I2S to feed the DAC chips directly anyway (standard DAC IC interface) - without all the extra goings on to make I2S robust enough for more than 100mm of transmission (which is all it was designed for).

As DDCs go, it’s a decent one. But it won’t improve anything that doesn’t already have specific problems or requires a different interface to the source.

1 Like

Ahh, so it’s relatively ‘transparent’ from source to output I’m assuming. Then this should work for my setup.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

It’s a competent, to-spec, bit-perfect digital-to-digital converter - so it is completely transparent. You can take its output and convert it back to its input and it’ll be the same bitstream.

Offers no sonic advantages unless you have broken implementations or issues elsewhere in the chain (e.g. pathologically noisy USB source coupled with an unusually sensitive USB DAC).

2 Likes

Nice!

I’ve been connecting my iPad directly to the DAC (Airist r2r) via usb, and the sound is improved.

I’ve been looking for a solution for when I add the X-Sabre Pro (and still keep the Airist connected) and it looks like this should work. I know I won’t be able to use the Airist’ usb input, but COAXIAL should be the next best option via the X-SPDIF 2.

Hi All,

I just took delivery of my Matrix Audio Element X purchased on eBay.

Wow.

I do not have a lot of comparisons to offer but I will say right off the bat that this is the blackest background I’ve ever heard, and very clean in every respect. Even over USB and sensitive IEMs, high gain, I get no noise from this machine. And my litmus test of classical solo piano music sounds the most acoustic I have ever heard from a digital source.

I am very excited.

However, and I ask any other owners for advice: I cannot get my Tidal account to stream through the MA Remote app on Android. I have successfully connected to WiFi, logged into the account, my playlists show up, but when I try to play a track it starts to, then reverts to “Not Playing”. The display on the Matrix shows that it is starting to, then it just quits.

Do any other MA owners have any advice?

Thank you in advance, and thanks for all contributors to this great resource.

3 Likes

The Element X might be my favorite piece of audio equipment right now (non-Headphones that is), I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

I didn’t have the issue you’ve had with Tidal, I think the only time I had issue with MA player was when I used it right after using the Element X as a Roon player.

Maybe try switching it out of “Network mode” for a little bit then switch back? Maybe that will get it back working with the app.

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip bigshel99. I am trying again with an Apple iPad to see if the app works better but so far have not even gotten that one connected. I am not stressing because it already sounds so good through USB, but hoping the Streaming will be the best. I’ll keep troubleshooting…Thank you again

2 Likes

Got it to work on an iPad with the MA app. Seems to be a fidgety and clunky app for interface with Tidal but I’ll take it as I am now streaming! It is very good for controlling the Element X itself, but navigating the playlists themselves is not so nice. It seems to have slightly less gain than USB unless I am imagining it.

I may try Roon, but I am reluctant to shell out more $ monthly along with Tidal.

What an incredible piece of kit.

4 Likes

Unsolicited update and question: After upgrading my router/modem and running ethernet to the Element X, I am even more happy than before. More stable than WiFi streaming, and to my ears, punchier base. That could be a gain difference of course.

Point is, the MA app is really clunky and I am using a 14 day trial of Roon. It improves the interface and ability to enjoy this DAC/Amp without the constant struggles with the MA app. anyone interested in this unit should get Roon if they do not want to be dropping F bombs frequently

Question for any technical folks: Unlike the MA app, Roon has a desktop interface as well as mobile. I do not have to use an iPad to control the Element X. When I run the source through ethernet straight into the Element X (or streaming for that matter) but control it with the desktop app through a MacMini, is Roon decoding or is the Matrix. Would Roon decode only through USB? Or even then? Or is the macMini (as is an iPad) really just a steering wheel at that point?

I am really confused and hoping that no significant processing is being done in the MacMini. I do not noticed a difference, just wonder for the record…

Thanks all!

7 Likes

Are you running the ROON app or the ROON core on your mac?

1 Like

Roon sends the audio straight from your Roon Core to the endpoint you’re targetting. It doesn’t matter what you’re using as your Roon Remote.

2 Likes

I believe a Roon ready device like the Matrix use a Roon Ready SDK to interface with the RAAT on the server. So Roon is doing the processing.

You can check by using the signal path feature on the Roon app.

Hi splayname, the MacMini is set as a Roon Core.

When I control through the Roon Core, the Element X displays “Roon Ready”.

In Roon the little glowing light is “Lossless” and shows this:

That would suggest the MacMini is doing nothing to the signal. Thanks for that link, I had hovered over that glowing light but never clicked it.

I suppose the reason I ask is that before I got the Element X I was running USB into an external DAC amp from the MacMini and it did not sound particularly good to me. It was improved when I streamed Tidal through Audirvana, lower noise floor etc. When I got the Matrix, and listened through WiFi or ethernet, the improvement was not subtle. My concern was if I use the MacMini as a Roon Core, am I somehow letting the MacMini degrade the sound vs using remote and never touching the Mac. I do not yet hear any difference between Roon Core vs iPad control.

I do not trust Apple not to dirty my signal somehow but it appears they have not been invited to the party.

Thank you very much for the info and the link.

Thank you for the response Jsim. I am starting to understand this a bit better and appreciate your confirmation.

1 Like

I’d agree with this quite a bit. The MA app is functional but not the best. Roon with this device an outstanding experience.

3 Likes

Hi @Torq,

I hope you do not mind me writing a reply to an old post. I can see from other Topics that you have owned or borrowed the Matrix Element for a period and appear to also be a ZMF fan.

I have a Matrix Element and received last month the Verite Closed.

I am unsure that the headphone amp in the Matrix is up to the task of the VC. It sounds clean, pure, warm. I hear all of what I think I should but the impact seems underwhelming. It sounds polite, but I find I am listening up between -20 and -10 db and by the time I get the bass where it is moving me, the rest is too loud. I do not have enough experience with other amps or headphones to know if I am getting the most out of the VC.

If it is a power issue, I see the specs of the Ragnarok 1 or 2 have lots more power and a reputation for being engaging. Do you think a Ragnorak or a more powerful amp might spice up the VC a bit?

I am reluctant to get rid of the Element because I am using it as a DAC, streamer, and pre-amp. And it sounds really incredibly clean. I am just not sure from the stand point of the ZMF VC if I have a top of the line pairing or not.

Thank you in advance if you care to share an opinion.

2 Likes