Meze Empyrean 2 - Official Thread

It is from the Harman research. The Harman target that’s commonly used doesn’t reflect the range of preferences that identified in the research, which is why its important to add the bounds (Dr. Olive endorses this as well). There’s still some work to be done here, like increasing the range in the bass for IEMs and showing the most dominant grouping - the 10dB slope within the window there is somewhat of a coarse-grained indication of that. In general I recommend reading the segmentation paper if you have an AES subscription.

Unfortunately its $125 for a membership.
Maybe could you chart the legendary HD600? That would provide a sense of where a fairly neutral headphone lies within the preferance boundaries. Seeing that the straight line almost touches the preferance boundaries at some frequencies, would be very interesting to see how the HD600 compares to the slope line.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good idea. We’ll likely need to remove the straight line eventually because people are prone to treating it as a target curve the way people treat Harman - which it was never intended to be. The point about the straight line is that its an indication of the bass to treble delta that most people prefer. So think of the preference bounds as a more sophisticated version of that.

2 Likes

Casual suggestion, could we possibly move all this general measurement/graph talk into its own thread? I keep checking in for more posts about the Empy 2, and the last 30+ posts over a 5-day span have had nothing whatsoever to do with the headphones.

1 Like

Yup - we’ll keep the existing commentary on the measurements here for now since this is an important release and it’s a good vehicle to help folks learn the ropes with the new visualization method. But yes if people want to go more in depth on just the new measurement visualization, let’s make sure that’s in the right spot and keep this on track regarding the Empy 2.

1 Like

I’m eager to hear a comparison between the Empy 2 with Duo pads and the OG Empy with Angled Alcantara pads. I feel like these combos may sound pretty similar in theory, but who knows how it will pan out in reality.

I’m also really interested in the new Duo pads that are new for the Empy 2. Early reports say they may work pretty well on the Elite. I find the stock Hybrid pads a bit too thin for my rather large ears, but the Angled Alcantara pads are very comfortable. So the added depth of the Duo pads may be a good option for Elite and OG Empy owners once they become available separately from the Empy 2.

3 Likes

The Ultimate Headphone Showdown: Meze Empyrean II vs Elite vs Empyrean

4 Likes

Really nice review @MRHifiReviews

1 Like

Hello,
sorry for my perhaps stupid question. When I want to test Resolves EQ settings for the Empyrean II, I have the problem that my Qudelix T71 only allows to set 10 bands. Resolves EQ setting uses 12 bands. How do I adjust this? Thanks al lot.

1 Like

Gotta decide which ones are more important I guess. You can also achieve a similar adjustment with fewer filters. I’m not sure how that device works though. I should try to get one in.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer. In your APO EQ settings for the Empyrean II the frequency 8000 is two times listed there with two different values. Does this have a special reason?

1 Like

narrow and wideband Q values

2 Likes

Hi Resolve. Can you explain to me why there is a dip from 40-80 Hz in the bass in your eq profile? If I want to have a bass shelf like the Harman combined curve or the Harman 2015 setting what sub bass settings would you use in that case? Thanks for a great review and I really like your mid and treble settings of your profile because to my taste the treble is a bit harsh around 6K :slight_smile:

1 Like

No reason in particular, you can do all the bass to your preference, I just made it so it was reasonably even, although you could add more filters to make it more even.

Hi @Resolve,
Is there any direction to include tests in time-domain like log IR or CSD plots? I find them useful to understand when you and others talk abt “detail retrieval” and describe a headphone as “punchy”, “smooth”, etc.
And I apologise if I asked it here…it’s just that I’m looking at this HP and I don’t know its TDR at all.

I responded to your post in that other thread, but to quote our resident science expert Blaine, time domain information is almost always a nothingburger in headphones, since they’re minimum phase.

Fix the issue in FR and you fix the corresponding resonance in time domain.

So no, we won’t be posting CSD, since it is more likely to mislead people into erroneously reading the tea leaves on irrelevant metrics (as we regularly see). What we DO want to be posting moving forward is excess group delay, which will indicate if there’s something non-minum phase about the system where time based views would be relevant.

2 Likes

I have an issue with this headphones. The vegan leather headband is so sticky. It pulls my hair a lot makes me so uncomfortable for awhile. Any solution to fix it?

Interesting… didn’t have this issue. What’s pulling your hair? When you adjust it or take it off? It shouldn’t move much once it’s on.

When I adjust it. I think the vegan part underneath the headband is really sticky to the hair.

Yeah I didn’t have this problem. I would adjust it, place it on the head and if it needed adjusted again I’d take it off and repeat.