Monolith Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology

He lives in the general area though other side of the Sound nowadays but maybe some guy delivered your PKG too. :wink:

I haven’t had any issues with mine. Just some annoyances here and there. I will have to check my firmware later tonight when I get home.

LOL! I appreciate the work that he does, heck he measured something for me and sent it back at his own cost, but I agree that publishing these partial reviews is not helpful. He would come across as more objective if he simply subjected everything to the same test suite and reported the findings without embellishment.

3 Likes

I’m on Firmware 1.01, I will stick with my above early impression of it. It is a good standalone amp/DAC and has enough power to run all my headphones. I would be fine recommending it to people with it in there budget range.

Yeah probably was the same guy…I made a stink about it to both Monoprice and GSO and…Shocker they had it out the day after T-day, even though it stated it wouldn’t be delivered until this week.

2 Likes

I also have firmware 1.01. Everything seems okay to me. Button placement could be better. Could use a remote. Everything I’ve written still stands for me.

4 Likes

Wow the impact of amir’s preview has made people who seemingly had no issues with the amp returning it now.

2 Likes

That is unfortunate, especially since he didn’t review it… I think it is a great amp. My only problem with it is it’s redundant for me lol… I may move it to the office but I actually enjoy my NiBL Element combo there…but who says I can’t have multiple options at work though lol

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a little over the top. I ended up returning a Nobsound DAC/Amp on which Amir did one of these incomplete reviews, but it was actually my unit that he reviewed and I actually didn’t have much use for it in the first place, so was happy to send it back.

EDIT - That said, the unit he got did die on him in pretty short order (perhaps because it was a beta unit, but who knows). That doesn’t necessarily speak to Monoprice running a quality operation here, so if people are nervous about the longevity of these units it’s not completely unreasonable to just return them. Also, a rep from THX actually chimed in on the AudioScienceReview thread and confirmed that THX did not actually design the unit, just provided their IP for part of the circuit. That in and of itself may have spooked some folks too.

1 Like

After reading it again I “feel” like he did something to break it lol. But I wasn’t there and the whole thing just screams ASR fan boi army attack level of crazy, @antdroid was very brave in posting a positive review on there…let the fan boi threats commence…yeesh.

1 Like

Well, I mean if it was your actual unit he didnt like. That’s definitely something different. :slight_smile:

Yea, I’ve followed the thread. I can understand some of the concerns. I have shopped at MP for I think 10 years and havent had any issues with their stuff and the one or two times I RMA’d or warranty’d something it was smooth and simple, so I guess I’m basing it off my experience.

To be honest, as someone in the US, I’d rather have to deal with a US-based company for a long-term product than Topping, SMSL, or Fiio or another company that is completely in China. I’ve had a decently good experience with Unique Melody on CIEM but they also have US representatives available too.

3 Likes

I think people are giving far too much relevance to his measurements. You should always use your own judgment. That’s what I have learned if anything from my experiences with different gear. There are always opposing viewpoints and it’s peoples need for affirmation of their purchases that sometimes causes the problems.

1 Like

Sorry for potato quality…just a quick cover of the display… purple for the win

3 Likes

did you just put a purple transparent film on it? Why not put it on the inside?

I will eventually, I’m still on the fence of what I want to do with this, I might use it dedicated for my PC, as I have a better setup for my Mac listening…Might take it to the office…

When I do finally find a home for it I’ll start taking it apart I’ll put the film on the inside then so it looks cleaner…I did the same film on my JBL 30X and the white dot on the Jot…I might have to do the same for my Mac Mini lil dot…but it isn’t as bright as the others.

1 Like

@antdroid Film now on the inside…looks good! I’ll try and find time to get a good not at night picture over the next couple days

1 Like

Potato quality, but I’m digging on the quick change

Deciding on what stays in the office today, but I think the MTHX788 will be staying. Help declutter my desk while sounding great. Plus my NiBL can be more readily available for travel purposes.

3 Likes

Got this monoprice thx 788 recently, hooked up with optical cable to my desktop Alienware pc and the USB port , mainly in optical, running with the full license of Sonarworks True-Fi program at $79 USD , it really pushes the sound stage more ,the thx 788 is really well built and sounds great - great mids and very punchy bass ,on my Focal Elear , Meze 99 Classics and my Psb m4u 2 headset , it would be a nice touch if they include a remote, I’m looking forward to see a full review on this monoprice amp on YouTube video, then the Massdrop version 789 , the LCD display for this unit is a better looker more premium feel and the power on and off button <Enter ON , Menu = Off , is nice thing in this unit ,
Over all a great buy ,pricey for $710 Canadian dollars with shipping cost

3 Likes

Xmos drivers were released this week for this device

1 Like

They just released a new firmware v1.03. The firmware tool they put out is missing a dll file, but someone sent it to me.

1 Like

what does it do? the update that is?

no idea. no changelog.