Monoprice Liquid Platinum Balanced Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli

Nice! I like the look and especially the one with the wood side panels. However, I do notice that with the wood side panels, it looks like the side vents get blocked.

1 Like

Yeah I noticed that as well, the unit Jimsent me did not have the wood panels. The amp doesnt get very hot overallā€¦the tubes heat vent up and out nicelyā€¦I will send Jim a note, but I dont think this is a real issue to be overly concerned with ā€¦just my thoughtsā€¦

Alex

1 Like

Cool! I look forward to hearing his thoughts on that, as I do like the look of the wood panels. I just bought an iBasso DX160 DAP, so this amp is going to have to wait till next month, but I am seriously interested.

I think I have come to the conclusion that I will either add another LYR 3 for my desk paired with the D90 AKM 4499 chip or a Mjolnir since I donā€™t expect to go to balanced cables for all my headphones yet and my focal Elegia may not pair as well with the Monolith hybrid since it only has one gain setting.

2 Likes

Canā€™t go wrong with either on those. :wink:

1 Like

Now for the fun part of selling a like new SMSLTHXSP200 I bought in November, to the used market prices I go for a looksy.

GLWS! I have to say, selling my used gear is my least favorite part of the hobby. However, I usually need the money, and like to see gear that is not getting used, go to someone that will get some good use from it.

1 Like

Regarding wood panels on the TUBA: yes side vents get blocked, but thatā€™s ok! Vents are not needed for this design. I made the chassis such that it could be used for other matching products as well (phonostage in the works).

3 Likes

Could you take comments about the TUBA somewhere else if youā€™re not going to compare it to Liquid Platinum?

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I am looking forward to seeing how the Tuba compares to my Liquid Platinum and Bottlehead Crack.

1 Like

Wes, Tacancy is right lets take this Tuba converstation over to the Tuba area on the site!

Tuba Discussion

Sorry guys!

Alex

1 Like

Sorry @Tacanacy for talking about another amp, other than the LP in the LP thread, and derailing it! I have moved to the correct thread. It is easy to get going on talking about other tube amps, when you are talking about tube amps.

3 Likes

@Wes_S and @lost33 thank you for being so cool about your responses to moving the other stuff to the proper thread.

So to get the topic back on topic it sounds like there is great love for this Monolith hybrid amp, however it must be used with balanced connection to truly get quality from it and likely pairs better with headphones of slightly higher or normal impedance? Is that a safe assumption on my part?

3 Likes

To reiterate, the LP definitely sounds itā€™s best going with balanced in and balanced out. However, there is quite a bit of gain on tap, without a gain switch. So, because of the inherent high gain of this amp, it works best on itā€™s own with hard to drive headphones with a lower sensitivity rating. The impedance of the headphone does not make as much of a difference, as the sensitivity. For example, I use a ZMF Ori (about 94-95 sensitivity rating and 50 ohm impedance), and my ZMF Aeolus (99 sensitivity and 300 ohm). With that said, I typically listen to my Ori with the pot around the 9 -11 position, and my Aeolus around the 8 - 10 position to get to same volume level as my Ori. So, my experience has shown me, that the sensitivity has more of an impact, than impedance when it comes to volume.

On another note, as discussed earlier in this thread, this amp can be used with a passive preamp, which opens the door for using more sensitive headphones. So, if you are considering this amp, and have sensitive easy to drive headphones, a passive preamp is a must.

This amp really pairs well with hard to drive planars without a preamp, and is a match made in heaven with my ZMF Ori.

Happy Listening!

4 Likes

I guess my volume pot never goes much past 9-10, but itā€™s a decent pot and I donā€™t really have an issue adjusting it on small increments. Gain switch would have been nice, but I donā€™t think you need a passive preamp.
I mean I think I have one lying around somewhere and Iā€™ve never felt the need to connect it.

Curious what headphones and DAC you are using with the LP? I donā€™t use a preamp, and did not say it was a must, unless a certain situation applies. I guarantee if you try to use something like a Focal Elegia, with a balanced DAC and balanced out, you will need a preamp. This has been confirmed by many LP owners, by the way.

I use a Gungnir multibit. Balanced in and out on the LP.
Iā€™ve use Elex and various ZMF headphones, I donā€™t need a preamp.

2 Likes

Hi there. I am interested in the Liquid Platinum as my end game under a grand. Plan in pairing it with an SDAC balanced. I loved the CTH + SDAC with all my headphones. Especially the Elex. But I also love the Asgard 3 and Modi Multibit with the ZMF Atticus and 6XX. I am leaning on getting the Liquid Platinum over the Lyr 3, but am worried it will sound too congested. Everyone says itā€™s a rather intimate sounding amp. But warm and smooth is right up my alley. Could you break down how the Lyr 3 differed a bit even if itā€™s just from memory?

5 Likes

I had both amps at the same time for a while and ended up selling my Lyr 3, and keeping the Liquid Platinum. The Lyr 3 sounds a bit more open, but also not as defined. The Liquid Platinum is a step up in all areas except width, which with all other things being considered better on the LP, that is the amp I went with. The LP, is forward in the mids, and especially vocals too, and that makes it seem intimate, but the sound stage is plenty big enough. I had the Lyr 3 first and was really happy with it, until I heard the LP. The Lyr 3 sounds great, but the LP sounds real, like you are actually there with the musicians.

8 Likes

Thank you sir. Iā€™m now confident in my decision to keep saving for it. Hoping it brings out another wave of new experiences just like the CTH. Take care.

5 Likes