Monoprice Liquid Platinum Balanced Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli

Lyr 3 was on my shopping list as well. I guess I’ll have to reconsider. The LP as of today is listed $100 more than the Lyr. For the balanced input/output features, it certainly looks like a better deal.

Can one hear the typical tubbish sound with this amp? Consider HD600 or 6XX.

Another thing that attracts me is the DC in. DC power supplies tend to be bivolt (auto range). Is this the case for LP as well?

Thanks much!

1 Like

It’s a hybrid amp, so it’s less “tubey” than non-hybrid amps, but you still get to fiddle around with things like staging and tone by tube rolling.

In other words, tubes impact the sound less in hybrid amps. It’s not like the BH Crack where sound is entirely dependent on the tubes - eg. you can roll in a '50s NOS Mullard long plate and get a super warm sound, then put in a new production JJ and get treble fatigue in 5 min. Tubes retain their same general characteristics with Lyr 3 and LP, but their effect is much less.

That’s what I noticed anyway.

4 Likes

First off, I agree with @ProfFalkin. The LP does definitely has some tube flavor and magic, compared to some of the SS amps in it’s price range. I would say compared to my pure tube amp (OTL), the LP seems like a 60/40 blend. 60% being SS clean and powerful/impactful, and 40% being tube goodness. You get all the benefits of a solid state, with a more 3 dimensional presentation and ease to the sound.

5 Likes

Thank you @ProfFalkin and @Wes_S.

As previously mentioned in another thread, I have and heard all tube guitar amps, but never heard a tube headphone amp myself. :weary:

I would like to step into this world. I understand that the tubes in LP are in the pre stage, right?

If I like the color of this sound down the road (vs SS amps), then I can see if I go towards an OTL or an all tube one.

Speaking of tubes amps, let me share some of my 30W guitar amp nudes. A few pics are blurred. Sorry. I know this way out off topic… Guitar amps… Bleh…

3 Likes

Typically the tube is in the voltage amplification stage. Current gets amplified by the solid state parts. It’s what each part is best at. Or so I’ve been told. I could be wrong, I’m not an EE.

2 Likes

Cool tube amp! I love guitars and tube amps!

1 Like

I was sold about this amp. Just ordered one. :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings:

Initially I’ll be feeding it from my Scarlett 6i6 balanced outputs. I’ll purchase a dedicated DAC for it as time and budget allows. E.g.: Bifrost 2 or equivalent.

I hope now I can get some “blood from a stone” with my 600/6XX. And different coloring as well.

Thanks for lobbying. :blush:

2 Likes

Nice! I absolutely love this amp. I have been listening with my Aeolus hooked up to it all morning, and it has been pure bliss.

1 Like

Two weeks from coast to coast. Finally here though. :partying_face:

I’ll need time to digest the sound signature, since the DAC feeding this amp is quite limited (Scarlett 6i6, but the only balanced out I have). The Magni 3+ in the picture is being fed by a Modi 3.

So far a great experience with HD600:

• Balanced out: the way to go (already well known).
  • Single ended out: less volume (boring if you have a balanced XLR plug).

Both outputs can be used at the same time. I saw this as a plus.

User guide suggests a 100 hours burn-in, and this is what I’m going to do. I tend to not question user guides (RTFM). :blush:

6 Likes

This happened yesterday when I plugged the DT 770 PRO:

This singularity is documented in the user guide. That’s another plus for this amp.

User interface was very well designed – I mean, there’s no much to be done with 2 buttons and 1 volume knob, right? But users tend to be creative and sh*t typically happen in the field, not in the design phase of a product.

That TRS shorting is one example. Another one is replacing cables while the amp is on. This is documented as well (as a don’t do it).

Only (quarter of) star removed so far is the single ended output:

They could have this better explained to the consumer. E.g.: I found by experimentation that the SE output (the one in the rear of the unit) only works when the SE input is used. This suggests me that both plugs are hardwired (Y-splitter type). It certainly does not annoy me, but it is a design flaw (or limitation if you will).

Roughly a day so far and I’m still enjoying a lot this amp.

Cheers.

2 Likes

I can use mine from the SE output while connected to my DAC via balanced.

Humm, I meant the SE output at the rear of the unit. Headphone SE out works fine regardless the input (balanced or SE). I edited my post to make that clear.

Can you confirm? Thanks!

I was going to shoot an e-mail to customer support to confirm this but it seems I won’t need to. I found this evidence:

The back panel has a jack for the power supply, one set of 3-pin balanced inputs, one set of RCA unbalanced inputs, and a “loop out” RCA output – which can send the unaffected signal from the SE input to another device (note: this is not a preamp out. There is no volume control.).

… and this post as well.

The above matches what I saw. Too bad what I saw haven’t matched with I have originally written. :blush:

Hope that’s fixed now.

I did the same thing last night with the CTH, I unplugged from the Atom and into the CTH without lowering volume. I got a red light for a while (that will remind me not to do it in the future).

3 Likes

This amp is now on sale for $550. Good price.

2 Likes

That is a steal, for one of the best amps under $1000.

2 Likes

Ffffff.

$550 USD is $840 AUD. Reasonable.

Shipping. Get this. Wait for it. $150 USD. $150 USD

$700USD is $1080 Australian.

2 Likes

Ouch!!! That shipping fee is crazy! Is that for overnight shipping?

You need to move bro. Your location is not conducive to affordable audio bliss.

4 Likes

I got mine 2 weeks before the sale. Never a good thing to look back, nor regret. I’m very happy with the amp.

Have you seen the new sibling DAC that they’re cooking? It is promised for later June.

I hope I can better control the anxiety this time.

1 Like