Might be worth making this thread a resource over time.
Some info I’d like to gather:
- All of the products (including DIY)
- User manuals (I have some and will mirror them)
- Internal shots
- Modifications that have been performed
- Recommended linear power supplies
- Links to reviews
- Maybe fun: Lineage tree of the amps
Assuming I can edit the main post forever (is that a thing here), I’d like to compile it into the first post.
Perhaps I can convince dBel84 to come over here since he’s the expert on all things Cavalli.
atomicbob did some amazing work measuring the effect of LPSUs on the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid (he does this sort of thing for a living and as a hobby). He also gives good advice about floating ground and how to connect an OEM supply correctly.
TLDR: The stock SMPS is fine. A linear supply built by diytalen86 on eBay is better.
If you’re willing to go with a lab or OEM power supply you can get further improvements with: BK Precision 1627, Acopian A28MT210, Keysight (HP/Agilent) U8001A
Unmeasured but what I’m using: Power Designs 5015D. This is a lab supply that does 0-50VDC at 0-1.5A, so it’s suitable for the MCTH and upcoming Liquid Platinum.
Some useful info from the man himself (Alex Cavalli) on Head-Fi:
On Linear Power Supplies:
- “As you guys think on linear supplies, note that you will need 36V 1.5A. The platinum runs about 650mA at idle.”
- Later, responding to to a question about using two iFi PSUs in series: “I can’t say that it won’t work, I just suggest that you be really careful what you do. Do not exceed 36.5V under any circumstances.”
Also, he provided a picture of the Liquid Platinum board that was at the recent CanJam: