Need help changing cable from 1/4" to XLR balanced

Hi guys
I’m new to DIY and modding and I have a question regarding changing stock ZMF cable (similar to Audeze) from 6.3 TRS to 4pin XLR termination. Mine came with 1/4" stock and I’ve bought a Neutrik 4pin XLR

So at the headphone end I have 4 cables:

1. blue (LEFT)
  2. pink (LEFT)
  3. grey (RIGHT)
  4. pink (RIGHT)

which one of these should solder into 1,2,3,4 of XLR pins? I don’t know if pink is considered negative or positive.

1 Like

Left mini pin 1 to XLR pin 1.
Left mini Pin 3 to XLR pin 2.
Right mini pin 1 to XLR pin 3
Right mini pin 3 to XLR pin 4

2 Likes

Thanks man, so basically the pink wires are positive (+)

The colour is irrelevant. Make sure you’re writing it down right, not sure if one of your photos is maybe mirrored or not.

The positive ones are the ones going to the Pin 1 of each Mini XLR. Grey and Blue according to your photos.

Then you have two negatives, both a shade of pink.

Just look at the numbers on the XLR and follow that pin back, don’t look at pin diagrams and hope you’re facing it the right way.

2 Likes

Just to be clearer. No. They are the negatives.

1 Like

Aha, now I get it. Thanks again

Get a cheap ohm meter if you’re going to be doing this so you can check continuity and verify which wire is which.

2 Likes

Can you point me to an article or a video on how to do it?

What he said. After you have completed making the cable you will need to test it first anyways. So, get a cheap multimeter from Amazon. Search for multimeter and then price less than $10. Then purchase one with red and black leads that uses the battery type you want.
For example here is one for $8.39 https://www.amazon.com/ProTechTrader-Large-Screen-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B07FN8XN13/
There are even $5 meters with analog needle if that is your thing.

2 Likes

hope this might help you out… you do need a ohm meter to be on the safe side…

2 Likes

That’s an excellent read. Thank you

1 Like