Newbie looking for recommendations

I am currently running my HD650 through the JDS Atom amp connected to the JDS Ol Dac. It’s a really nice, very clean sounding combo with lots of detail, decent soundstage. And plenty of power to drive demanding headphones. Bang for the buck. There’s many excellent options within that price range so I am sure you will be able to find something that fits your needs. Schiit, JDS Labs, Chord Mojo, the THX AAA 789, Grace SDAC, the Liquid Spark and many others… Choose one and enjoy, you will need a substantial budget increase to beat the quality of the aforementioned. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you for the break down, Very helpful the way you put it. And thank you as well Henrik. There are many many options for sure

3 Likes

I’m a fan of NOS digital, also of Audio GD. My recommendation is the all-in-one DAC/amp, the R2R 11. It’s inexpensive ($350 + ship to U.S.) and can easily be upgrading by routing the RCA output to a standalone headphone amp.

Many like this combo unit. I haven’t heard it, but own/owned 3 Audio GD units & admire that sound…

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R11/R2R11EN.htm

I did also find some fine headphones from AKG and one Sony, which did sound almost as good and sadly too many (especially from Japan) that give the lower midrange a woody “boxy” or “cave like” sound. which naturally not sound as real life… As reference does actually Koss Porta Pro sound rather close to Sennheiser PX 100 II except that KPP has not the same brilliant crystal clear treble, less refined bass and get very easy stuck in your hair!

3 Likes

Hello guys, I have just got ksc75 and I was impressed with the sound quality. So I want to move a step up my eyes was on Akg k702 especially their price now in uk usually under 150 . And It was 350 MSRP.But the problem I can’t get a decent amp with it my budget will be 60$ for amp +150 for K702 but I’m afraid that it may sound bad with cheap amp. So should I go this way or better to get easier to drive headphone like X2Hr or ATH-900ADX or sennheiser hd599

With my Mb Asus b450 with supreme fx 1220 audio the Dac is clean with Ksc75 but the amp not so powerful it uses its half power with Ksc75

2 Likes

This is a pretty specific question, I’m not sure how many are familiar with this exact mix of products. Many of the regulars focus on high end audio (or they have no headphone budget limit whatsoever…).

If you buy an external starter amp you could use it with many types of headphones, and either with or without a computer DAC. Common all-around starter amps in the $100US range include the JDS Labs Atom, Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy, and Monoprice Liquid Spark. There are also a plethora of competing products from Topping, Fiio, SMSL, XDuoo, etc. etc. etc.

Consider whether you prefer a bright, neutral, or warm tone profile too. Select an amp to match your personal preferences.

2 Likes

I ran my K712 of an ART HeadAmp4 (and still do from time to time). Definetly an upgrade over onboard, not super ideal though (because of its 47 Oohm output impedane).

£119

3 Likes