Qudelix 5K Review and Comparison to ES100, FiiO BTR-5

Is amazon ultra hd flac tracks enough to tell for you?

When I do hear a difference, it comes across in deeper dynamics, which, of course, could be created by even small mismatches in volume. The qudelix makes that really easy to account for. Since then, I simply can’t tell.

For what it’s worth, I generally can’t tell with apple music either for most music.

Either way, I have to do intense a/b comparisons to hear it. If I just put on one or the other, I would never know.

Amazon HD or Qobuz is fine. Tidal is iffy because of their default filtering.

Wireless and compressed sounds shakier and grainier, with a seeming absolute limit on potential nuances. Over time (15 mins+) I often detect compressed sources because they lead to fatigue and tinnitus. With a particularly bad source this can happen within 5 or 10 seconds.

If you are happy, we are all happy. You have your own ears and it’s your choice.

1 Like

I am just trying to understand what people hear differently. I am not treble sensitive at all and don’t have any form of tinnitus as far as I know.

I am having my hearing checked next month for the first time in at least a decade to see where I stand.

I love that BT doesn’t bother me as the convenience is insane. What does bother me is hearing hiss or noise due to the amping. On nearly every other BT device I could hear that with my Dunu Zen. Not the qudelix 5k. The fiio q5s-tc tried to kill me with it’s BT noise. (that’s the reason I don’t own one).

So, I am happy with qudelix. Very happy. To the point that I limit my headphone choices to what work on it.

1 Like

I find myself using balanced out for my more power hungry cans.

It’s awful, and I’m only barely used to it.

If you haven’t already, try playing with the filter settings. It could totally be placebo, but I like the Apodizing fast roll-off type 1.

1 Like

Thanks for all of the feedback. A few updates after reading your comments.

– Guess I need to get some balanced cables to get more power from the Qudelix. I’m running unbalanced all the time.

– The lights do turn off on the buttons after a bit. I didn’t notice that when I first started testing.

– I have dug into the app and know about the various power settings. I’m running high-gain (2 volts) on Performance mode. I’m pushing this thing as hard as it can with unbalanced cables, and it’s just about enough with the HE-400se. Those are low-impedance cans, but they also have very low sensitivity. On the other ear, the Qudelix has no problem driving my Meze 99 Classics whatsover. I expected that, as a phone drives the 99 Classics as smoothly as Lewis Hamilton.

– I’ve never seen the “drawing too much energy” warning when using the Qudelix with unbalanced output on my iPhone 12. That’s good. Are you seeing that warning only when running balanced because of its greater power demands?

The Qudelix is a mighty impressive little unit. It’s my first Bluetooth DAC/amp. If there’s a better one on the market, it must be all that and a bag of chips.

I’m just not sure yet if the crisp, bright sound of the DAC works for my old ears. More testing to come!

1 Like

nods This will give you the power jump you were expecting. At least more than tempotec or apple dongle.

Almost certainly. I can’t run it wired with the volume pushed to max balanced. The drop ether cx can take that. As long as I run with the internal volume down a bit (there is probably a number I could figure out for Volts), it doesn’t do it.

Having tried an insane number of them, I am confident in saying it is not a well known one if there is a better one. Now, keep in mind, sound quality is not my top priority. Overall ability to function is. And nothing I have used comes close.

Now, if you are willing to be wired and lose BT, that comment changes. Your hip dac rises straight to the top. As does a number of other ifi products in my opinion. But, all of this functionality in one easy package? no, this is the king of the hill there.

Balanced may fix this as well. When a headphone like a planar is not powered well, it can get whiny. Maybe you haven’t heard he400se at it’s best yet? Let’s hope!

hart audio cables. Go!

Quick update in my testing of the Qudelix 5K compared to my iFi hip-dac for sound only, not features.

I just don’t think the bright, slightly thin sound of the Sabre DAC in the Qudelix is for me. I’m far from a basshead, but I do like a richer, slightly warmer sound than what the Qudelix is providing me. The Burr-Brown DAC chip in my hip-dac just seems to be a perfect sonic match for my daily drivers, the HiFiMan HE-400se International.

The Qudelix is such a cool device. I would recommend it in a SECOND to anyone looking for a Bluetooth DAC/amp and who likes a brighter sound signature. The bright Sabre DAC in the Qudelix does balance the bassy, warm sound of my Meze 99 Classics better than the warmer Burr-Brown DAC in the hip-dac.

But since I’m probably selling my 99 Classics and sticking with the HE-400se as my daily drivers, the hip-dac sounds like a better match to my cans and ears.

A bit more testing to come today and this weekend …

3 Likes

I liked the burr brown in the ifi idsd micro signature better as well. In fact, that is the best sounding amp I have heard period. The dx300 with the cirrus logic chips was similar.

The qudelix convenience simply won for me. If the wires don’t bother you, the hip dac must be amazing! It also has much more power over balanced. Which the he400se can probably take advantage.

Get balanced! Hart audio cables are awesome!

2 Likes

They just sent an update where they include eq settings from the AutoEq database.

I’m not convinced of the quality of AutoEq since I’ve seen measurements all over the place but at least it’s something to try and I think unique for portable dacs.

3 Likes

I finally got around to trying the AutoEQ stuff, and its quality definitely by headphone. The cool thing is that all it does is pre-populate the EQ settings, so I can use AutoEQ as a starting point and tweak from there.

The HD58X and Starfield presets are quite enjoyable, though I had to dial back both a bit by hand. It would be cool if Qudelix added a wet setting like in Reveal.

1 Like