RAAL-requisite SR1a - Earfield™ Monitor/Headphone - Official Thread

I finally got a chance to build the cables prototypes I wanted to try for the standard* RAAL-requisite Amp/Ribbon Interface and SR1a.

“Audiophile” 4-pin female XLR connectors are very thin on the ground. The Furutech is probably the best looking (and I love their connectors), but the less-expensive Neutrik actually works better for our purposes here.

The 3.5mm TRRS connectors are from Eidolic, have big cable-entries, and have a variety of optional inserts for appearances. I went with the carbon-fibre here to match the SR1a’s build.

I also went with carbon-fiber for the Y-splitter for the same reasons:

That’s a quick cell-phone snap of the finished prototype (better pictures during the day, I expect).

I built three versions, each with differing impedances (special measurement techniques and equipment are required to properly measure resistances this low … i.e. between 0 Ω and 0.2 Ω), as impedance affects treble-response to an unusual degree with the SR1a.

The 0.1 Ω version seems to provide the best overall result … and, for me, is the final step in getting from “studio neutral”, to just “plain neutral”, without needing software-EQ.

These cables still feature:

• Proprietary dual-interleaved, quad-helix, geometry.
  • Ultra-low resistance** and capacitance.
  • High purity, oxygen-free, pure-copper wiring.
  • High-density, plated copper-matrix shielding.
  • Electron-beam irradiation (EBI) - for improved flexibility and reduced microphonics.
  • Cryogenic treatment - because … “Why not?”
  • Reflective and Glow-in-the-Dark cable sheathing.

And, of course, they’re reassuringly expensive.

*I still plan on building an alternative interface, with different connection options, selectable treble-bias, and options for dielectric biasing and active shielding.
**Options for 0.05 Ω, 0.1 Ω and 0.2 Ω.

12 Likes