RAAL-requisite SR1a - Earfield™ Monitor/Headphone - Official Thread

To this point, I have been a bit cagey about which power amplifier I was initially running the SR1a with. This was mostly out of a sense of surprise that it sounds so good feeding them.

Why surprise?

Because just using it to drive speakers (as a general test … this amplifier was purchased purely to provide a quick, entry-level, reference point for a relatively inexpensive way to drive the SR1a) had “not been the most rewarding experience in the world”. Not terrible, for the price, and certainly decent enough for basic home-theatre use or non-critical listening. But not something I would personally opt for in a 2-channel rig, even with relatively modest speakers - such as the the KEF LS50.

The amplifier in question?

The Parasound NewClassic 2125 v.2 - which can be had from Audio Advisor (directly) or via Amazon, for under $600 delivered.

So, again, not something I would recommend for 2-channel speaker rigs, but it had been more than holding it’s own feeding the SR1a. That’s a combination that I’d put above most of the high-end dynamic or planar headphones I’ve heard, in most scenarios. And if you wanted to get into the SR1a, don’t have a suitable amp already and do not break the bank right out of the gate, this is a viable way to do it.

But …

… there is a better way …

… and it’l only cost you $100 (plus shipping) more.

That would be to run it from a Schiit Vidar. Just a single one, in stereo mode, for now; I’ll get to trying it in dual-mono configuration in a day or two.

These are initial thoughts with the Schiit amp … but Vidar is definitely a step up/forward.

I could not hear any noise or hiss, at all, out of the Parasound, even with the volume turned all the way up, with just a silent file playing, but still Vidar seems to present an even blacker background. Not really sure how that is possible, but that’s the sense I get.

The delivery is more refined with the “little” (it’s half the size of the Parasound, though is 80% of its weight) Schiit. Stage is deeper, and layering and imaging is more vivid.

Tonally the top end via Vidar is both smoother (and it was already smooth by most headphone standards) and seems less prominent and more natural. And I have backed off my bass EQ lift by about half a decibel.

More to come … but this is an immensely impressive pairing.

6 Likes