Resolve's Headphone Ranking List

still wondering why there’s no Stax 009S and X9000, need some update please, might secure the SS place

Do u think V550 can drive all the headphones in your list sufficiently? Or it might not be enough to drive Susavara/ 1266 to their (relatively) full potential?

1 Like

Hi, I was curious if you would rate the Modhouse stuff or JD audio things if sent to you for review? I’d be happy to send in a pair.

1 Like

I think you we’re looking to ask @Resolve ? I’m sure he’d be happy to check them out!

1 Like

Any plans on ranking the HE1000 V2? Resolve seemed pretty enthusiastic about it in his live stream and even cited it as his choice at $2k in another vid I believe.

1 Like

Yeah I need to do a big update soon haha.

3 Likes

Also curious about your thoughts on the Abyss Diana TC, if you plan to get them in for any extensive period of time. I’ve had a brief listening experience with it and so far find it to be the most “correct sounding” Abyss to date, curious to hear how this ranks amongst the TOTLs from your perspective.

One question. Meze 109 pro is better overall than Hifiman Ananda.
Better overall for me is all aspects of sound quality. Tonality, layering, texture, detail, dynamics, soundstage, imaging, timbre…

I really like that you ranked the Utopia over the Utopia 2022. I feel that once a high-quality product is released, and becomes recognized, tinkering with it usually does not improve it. I still prefer the Andromeda to the re-booted Andromeda. However, I recognize valid counter-examples exist (e.g., the Stax L700 v2).

3 Likes

many are waiting for the big giant update!! let’s check out the new menu

Yeah I know it needs an update haha. I’ve bee preoccupied with the measurement stuff at the moment.

Would the radiance and the noire be too similar to have both?

No, not too similar. Listening un-EQed, the Radiance is fun, with more bass. The Aeon Noire is more neutral, but not completely. I would use Radiance for Rock and Noire for Jazz. (With a nod towards your preferences, Metal sounds better on the Radiance.) That said, if I was looking for 2 different flavors (in about this price range), I would consider the Radiance and a planar (e.g., Ananda). Just a person on the internet, YMMV, and all other caveats apply :).

2 Likes

I already have the noire :smiling_face:. Good to know about jazz because I got them for other genres. Radiance would be an all rounder so I’m sure it would be great for the office.

I’m looking at the Ananda or LCD x 2021 as alternative to the aeolous.

My (best?) advice: get all of them! My personal listening preference is Aeolus > LCD X (with EQ) > > Noire > Ananda (all caveats apply). Weirdly, this also seems to follow the price curve. More critically, the ZMF is a completely different flavor vs planar. Like comparing KC barbecue and TYO sushi. Both are beyond great, they are excellent!! More to the point, I think that the Aeolus needs to be appreciated as is. And the LCD-X is a very different technology, more amenable to tuning (EQ).

3 Likes

I love this idea.
All 4 should keep me occupied for quite a bit.

1 Like

I wonder where the Bluetooth headphones fit into this list.

@Resolve - Did you get a chance to audition the HE6SEv1 ? If so, which tier would it belong to, according to you?

I purchased an HE6SE v2 and really liked it. Based on Resolve’s comparison, I went on a search for an OG HE6 (6 screw) and scored one. It is incredible! The v2 was really really nice, but I find the same thing that Resolve did. The OG is leaps and bounds better in every category! I have a Utopia, LCD-5, Atrium and Verite. I like all of them, but I reach for the HE6 first, every time.

1 Like

It depends a bit on the run, but the one I evaluated wasn’t as good as the V2.

1 Like