Ripping SACDs

First piece is hardware such as Oppo player mentioned above or least expensive is certain sony blu ray player which are shown which ones on link in my original post. As mentioned then a small java applet. Then a usb stick formatted fat32, which will hold the applet. One also has to have program such as one I mentored to interpret the dsd .dff .dsf files, and Lastly a dac which will play those files. Well worth it for all the sacd cds you have. The only reason I went older sony blu ray player was it cheap $27 delivered You have to make sure the remote is withit. It’s a beautiful thing. Directions are super easy with Hi Haven link above. Good.

2 Likes

@Torq I thought someone might have the answer for this. I ripped a classical sacd today and it comes out as a 7.68 GB .dsf file. It is a multichannel surround sacd. They always are bigger files (.dsf) . How does a 750 MB cd end up given that large a file? Or am I mistaken that cds might hold larger amount of data.
Could it be the DSD stream is somehow compressed. If you guys know, please let me know.

1 Like

DSD encodes an enournous amount of higher frequency (ultrasonic) electronic noise as a result of the massive quantization noise inherent in a 1-bit sample depth.

This noise is effectively random and as a result cannot be compressed.

That is the BULK of what makes DSD files so large. Otherwise they’d be about double then size of a normal uncompressed PCM rip for two channel, since 1x DSD (DSD64), which is what SACD uses, is roughly equivalent to 24/88.2 PCM (and then linearly larger for each additional channel).

4 Likes

@Torq Gee Golly! Is there anything you don’t know?

1 Like

You just have to love ripping the sacds you have instead of paying $50-60 again for the same music. My ears hear a big difference between the two formats.

1 Like

Exactly. They also just posted some new software. the claim is it is faster. The Gui for Sonore is nicer looking with more options. I’ll stick to what took me a little while to learn. That’s only because I am a slow learner. wtf

To me making transfer speed go from 2.5 mbps to 3.5 mbps is no big deal. It’s still only a few minutes. The bigger challenge are the multi-channel. They take about 15-20 minutes each. Running in the background while posting in forums works great for me.

I have just recently acquired a LG v30 that will play all my DSD SACD .dsf rips. The ESS Sabre ES9218 DAC in this phone is a quad channel Audiophile worthy chip that is also a very capable headphone amp with analog volume control (implemented by 75 step player app control). It supports 32-bit 384 kHz PCM and up to DSD512. The DAC itself has an integrated headphone amplifier capable of 2Vrms output. When headphones with a 50 ohm or higher impedance are sensed on the output jack, the “second stage” of amplification kicks in. It handles 300 ohm HD 650 with authority.
I also own a PS Audio Direct Stream Jr. that basically converts all levels of PCM to 1bit DSD. It will accept DSD native input through the I2s input from PS Audio’s DirectStream Memory Player (no longer in production). To quote PS Audio’s web site “Based on a proprietary handshake protocol between DMP and PS Audio DAC’s, through our advanced I2S interface, pure DSD is streamed to, and processed in, the same reference quality DAC used by mastering engineers.”
I have ripped all of my SACD 2ch using an Oppo BDP-103. The transport in the PS Audio DMP was built by Oppo for PS Audio which may explain why the DMP production has ceased.
The DSF files are a source of great pleasure in the portable package of the LG v30 (under 300 dollars from Amazon - unlocked) combined with my Campfire Polaris IEMs.
I know this was a dead topic, but I just now wandered upon it and wanted to answer a couple of the questions regarding the best way to enjoy the fruits of our labor learning to rip and enjoy the quality of SACD 2ch recordings.

2 Likes

That’s a great portable setup. I’ll bet it sounds great too.