RME ADI-2 DAC fs - Official Thread

Thanks very much Torq.

I understand completely and will use my RME’s with the first method described (Set the RME units to “Ref Level”-5dBu…etc.).

2 Likes

How does this thing fair as a All-in-one? And does it have much competition in that price range or cheaper? Questyle CMA400/600 maybe?

There are dozens of posts talking about this unit as an AOI in this very thread.

Nothing cheaper really measures up as an AOI, even if you forget the raw feature set of the RME unit, at least that I’ve heard. The Soekris dac1541 and Holo Audio CYAN (PCM) offer a different take on the AOI model, and are audibly different (and maybe more interesting), but those a bit higher in price.

And I’ve read them!

Not much talk comparing it to consumer based AIO models in the same range like the Questyle units. More popular offerings that I have a chance of finding here I guess.

The Soekris I have fsck all chance of sourcing down here. The CYAN is being sold at one store, albeit 30% higher price than a RME new. RME show up used a bit too, CYAN never.

RME is about $1600 AUD. CMA400i is $1200 AUD. Both new. Both come up used sometimes.

Wow!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This is a huge improvement, especially noticeable in added clarity, detail, texture and vitality.

ALERT TO OTHER RME OWNERS: This set -up recommendation from Torq is really a big deal and added so much to the sound quality of my RME ADI-2 DAC that you might want to try it too. Here’s the set-up:

Press EQ button on front of the unit, and toggle down…Auto-Ref Level=Off…Ref Level -5dBu…turn volume of RME down to zero dB…turn volume of your amp up to whatever level you prefer.

4 Likes

@Torq

Whats doing this actually do? Stops the RME doing a digital sound attenuation? Spits out line level to amp?

1 Like

Takes the digital volume control processing out of the chain, while providing the proper level signal to the external amplifier (so you don’t risk clipping the input stage while keeping proper DR and SNR).

It’s usually a subtle thing, unless you were clipping inputs or under-driving your amp - then it can be a big deal.

6 Likes

Yeah ok, what I thought.

You helped me sort my Topping D50S too, similar thing. It sounds better in exclusive mode, Tidal, 0.0db (no digital processing of volume) straight to amp.

Is there much of an upgrade going the new version? The older 4490 ones come up used a fair bit here, if the only real change is the chip, surely the differences are very slight? I’ll go research some.

Does the better remote from the updated model work with the older model?

I.e If I find a used 4490 model, can I buy the remote by itself and have the same functionality?

You can read my direct back-to-back, initial, comparison here. There are some other minor (and measurable) changes beyond just the switch to the AKM 4493 IC.

Yes; you just need to be on the most recent firmware.

1 Like

Yeah, did read that just before, thanks! Probably beyond my ears, the changes.

And good to know. Haven’t looked into how easy it is to get the new remote in Aus yet though.

Anyone else experience dead pixels? Mine has gotten a ton in the past few days. Sending it in for an RMA.

sorry to see you have problems with the unit. How old is it?

It’s failing bud. Do they move? Is it all the time?

It’s less than a year old!

They don’t move; it’s all the time.

Yeah ok. Screen failing. Hope it’s under warranty mate. Best of luck.

1 Like

I can´t see, why it should not be under warranty

yep good luck @tusing

3 Likes

Some countries have crappy laws. Never know.

If they were moving or not all the time you may wonder a more software type fault, but lights out, all the time, just a faulty screen

All electronics have a failure rate, even the best of brands someone gets unlucky. How they handle it defines the company more so.

3 Likes

yep like a problem is the best chance for a company to shine and keep his customers

1 Like