Schiit Audio Modi 3 DAC - Official Thread

Of course, though unfortunately I don’t have the income to test things out for now. Maybe in a few years, but not now, and I’m eager to try em out now instead of later, y’know? It’s a little frustrating, but there’s no harm playing the waiting game, so I’ll give it some time. That being said, I’m very tempted to grab a Bifrost 2 just for the stacking factor and the tech inside, looks really hecking cool.

2 Likes

I tried the Modi & Magni at CanJam and it was such a great stack especially for the price, it almost competed with the hip dac from ifi but the sound signature is night and day

4 Likes

I have a Modi 3 and Magni 3+ combo and can say I’m very happy with them.

Always wanted to ask though. Specs from manufacturer: Sample Rates and Bit Depths: 16/44.1 to 24/192 via USB, Coax, and Optical

From Windows – it’s in Portuguese but you get the point:
Why it is showing 32-bit as an available option? Is Windows lying to me or specs are not accurate?

Thanks!

If anyone wanted to see both the silver and black modi 3 together!

The black is powder coated while the silver is a nice smooth brushed aluminum.

Also the black’s input switcher is smoother and has less resistance than the silver’s. The silver one needs a bit more force to switch.

5 Likes

We should get a poll out of this.

Which Modi looks better?

• Silver
  • Black
0 voters
3 Likes

That could be manufacturing tolerances. Not all parts are made the same at all times (24/7).

1 Like

Good thing the black one had the smoother one! :smile:
They also source their aluminum from different manufacturers if I remember correctly so there’s some variations between them too

1 Like

I voted silver as I think the silver Schiit stuff looks better than the black.

However, I bought the Modi (if it ever gets here) in black to match the Heresy amp (and almost all my gear is Black, white and red).

I wish Schiit would start offering the other components of the same size in black also, I wouldn’t mind getting a black Loki and a black Sys to stack with the Modi and Heresy.

2 Likes

Hey, Happy Birthday @SenyorC. I hope you enjoy your cake day.

1 Like

Modi 3 will have another competitor by next month or so.

At this pace we can upgrade our $100 DACs on pretty much every year. The “Sherpa” ones.

Great times for consuming audio gear*. :+1:

* My old 2016 Lenovo laptop appreciates that since it only delivers 16-bit audio from the jack out.

3 Likes

That is interesting…I really enjoy that DAC chip as well!! Trickle down tech, like trickle down economics…but, you know, actually effective and beneficial lol

4 Likes

It makes me wonder who designed the DAC.

3 Likes

Schiit just announced the Modi 3+ w Unison USB…

8 Likes

Live stream this Friday April 16th 1:00 pm PT (Los Angeles)

Topping E30 vs. Schiit Modi 3+ Battle of the Budget DACS Live Stream

Hope to see you all in the live chat!!!

Much Love,

Marcello

6 Likes