Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC - Official Thread

The Bifrost 2 is easily the best bang for the buck in that list.

Differences between DACs, competent ones at least, are very small. They can be important differences, but they’re generally still small compared to what you’ll experience between different transducers or amplifiers. And among competent DACs, even going from the most basic Grace SDAC all the way up to an M-Scaler fed DAVE, or the complete dCS Vivaldi stack, “satisfaction” doesn’t jump by 100% and certainly not more than that.

Hell, sticking to “competent” as a requirement, only transducers and turntables (and their ancillaries) give anything approaching differences of two orders of magnitude in performance.

In fact, I’d lay it out more like this:

If I put the M-Scaler-fed DAVE at a nominal score of 100 (as it’s the best digital reproduction I’ve heard to date), then an Yggdrasil A2/Unison would score a 97 or a 98. The Qutest and Bifrost 2 would hit around 95 or 96. A Modi MB or Grace SDAC would come in around 90.

I look at the Yggdrasil GS as something for those that a) want the original Yggdrasil’s presentation and/or b) are stuck using Windows versions earlier than 10. Otherwise, at this point, I’d actually go with the Bifrost 2 if the Yggdrasil A2/Unison was out of reach.

The only pure DAC I’d add to your list, under $2,500, would be the Matrix X-Sabre Pro (MQA), though there are some AOI units that are interesting also, and the Holo Audio Spring DAC is still where it’s at for a NOS DAC in that price range (I enjoy NOS DACs, but increasingly found myself going back to OS designs … and that’s where I’ve stayed, since).

22 Likes