Sennheiser HD 650 over-ear open-back Headphones - Official Thread

Pad rolling with SRH1540 pads

A few hours after watching this video, I realized Zach’s approach to his offering is the very same mechanism present in the SRH1540 and Fostex T50RP headphones.

Motivation

Having a brand new spare set of pads from the Shures and the plastic rings from a retired stock pad, an obvious idea came to mind. What if?

Difficulty

Very easy.

Procedure

Video from link above is all you need.

Materials

1. HPAEC1540 – Replacement Alcantara Ear Pads for SRH1540;
  2. Plastic rings extracted from any stock pads within the HD 6 family.

Outcome

HD 6XX with the alcantara pads from the Shure SRH1540.

HD 650 stock vs HD 6XX with SRH1540 pads (sandwich view).

HD 650 stock vs HD 6XX with SRH1540 pads (A/B test bench view).

Pros

1. Comfort – this is probably the best characteristic of the SRH1540 (huge :heavy_plus_sign: here);
  2. More bass. It does hit harder.

Cons

1. Sound is even more closed w.r.t. stock – i.e., even less perceived soundstage;
  2. Less airy than stock – sensation of scooped high mids;
  3. HD 650/6XX sounds even darker;
  4. Loose pad fit. SRH1540 pads are bigger than the plastic ring that fits the HD 6 family.

Yay or Nay?

That was a Nay for me. Reason is simple. If I want more bass with a better tuned midrange I can just go ahead and grab the SRH1540 instead.

But since my 6XX is in the drawer and the extra set of pads from the SRH1540 was in its original box for the past 2 years, I’ll probably leave this combination for the time being.

Why the heck is this being shared then?

Maybe this is a Yay for you? Believe me, the comfort is really a few notches above when compared to stock. Price-wise, it is in the same ballpark than the stock pads. Should you like to try it won’t break your bank.

Can’t deny that EDM was particularly fun to listen with this combination. :smirk:

Bonus question

Have you compared both 650 and 6XX with stock pads?

Yes, that was actually the very first exercise when I purchased the 650 a few months ago. Both sounded the same to me. I’m not a reviewer, hence, I only listen to music not test tones.

Cheers. :beers:

6 Likes