Sennheiser HD 800 S - Open Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

I’m considering them too.
I believe that coupled with my custom Mogwai OG they will sound very nice.
Share your impressions when they’ll arrive.

4 Likes

Will do. Running off Soloist/Bifrost 2 for the time being.

1 Like

My take:

I’ve had my HD800 since 7/16 and my HD800S since 9/19. Can’t see myself ever selling either one.

I have owned HD600 and Utopia (both sold) and currently have 1266PHI with CC pads and Susvara in it’s latest iteration, and a RAAL SR1a.

The HD800 series will always be a benchmark for me with my (predominantly classical) music and still provides a very satisfying listening experience that is among the most comfortable to wear that I’ve experienced.

Along with my Susvara (at 4 times the price), both HD’s have a very nicely balanced sound top to bottom and correct amp-ing makes a positive difference. While not set in stone, I like OTL or transformer’d or hybrid tube amps with the HD’s or some of the more pricey solid state amps. Not the ultimate in this or that particular area but overall both deliver for my ears. Just a nice balance of the various sonic qualities I listen for.

The SR1a is an inner detailing monster but I generally use a little EQ on the bottom to get the bass where I feel it belongs, and that need varies greatly from one recording to the next. My 1266 is a bass monster.

Also, I did try the Drop HDXXX but sent back, not an improvement with classical to my ears. Maybe better for more popular genres.

And, as always, there is no one phone to rule them all.

7 Likes

They were orgasmic on my Leeloo/Pendant, so I bet they are going to be magical on the Mogwai.

2 Likes

The only thing that has stopped me until now is my love for punch.
But for electroacoustic/acousmatic music I’m currently studying I believe I don’t need impact.
Having a decent tube amp I’ve rediscovered my Sennheiser’s.
Not give a try to HD800s after HD600 and HD660 sounds impossible so I believe soon I’ll go for them.
The store where I repair turntables has a returned pair that have been used for one day and are like new. For something around $900 it seems a crime not get them.
Thank you for your feedback.

2 Likes

Good combo, something to be happy with for a lot of time.

2 Likes

So, I just started listening to the HD 800 S for the first time less than five minutes ago.
I honestly checked my Burson to make sure everything was correct because I thought the track was somehow coming from my speakers. I took off the headphones and realized, nope, everything is right.

Much to listen to, both in cans and music, but as a VERY first impression, no other headphones (mind you, not a ton of experience) quite shocked me like this. Most emotional reaction to a first play (Mozart) I’ve experienced.

12 Likes

Wait till you get it on tubes (especially something like the Stellaris, I can only imagine)…I have a very cheap tube amp and i think it’s incredible. 800s and the Arya are my 2 favorite headphones atm.

1 Like

At this rate, I am almost inclined to buy a Kenzie OG or something to use for a year until the Stellaris is ready and theoretically sell (or keep both, who knows).

1 Like

What Mozart recording? Want to replicate on my end.

1 Like

A classic I am simply very familiar with: The Overture from The Marriage of Figaro as performed by Wiener Philharmonic.

3 Likes

I can relate. I went from the HD660S to the HD800S and had to put the 660S back on to believe that there was that much difference. Now after about 250 hours of burn-in time they are even better. Does anyone know the best time to consider them “burn-in complete”?

2 Likes

From the video:

Now 450 hours in and with the Cardas Clear cable I am incredibly pleased with this decision. They did take this long to ‘smooth out’ for me. I am a classical and jazz and vocalist enthusiast. The 800S does it all in the detail and soundstage that I have always wanted. I don’t find that they lack anything in the lower end and the clarity is great there as well.

4 Likes

For the magic just add tubes 🪄

They would likely really sound beautiful with a tube amp. I am still waiting (now two weeks) for my Phonitor x which I trust will be a nice addition. Are there good tube amps that are reasonably affordable that you would suggest I listen to?

1 Like

Depends on what you consider reasonably affordable. :grinning:

And then there is the tube rolling problem.

Schiit’s LYR 3 comes to mind or their Valhalla 2.

Thanks. I see if I can find them locally for a listen.

Schiit sells direct not thru dealers so that could be difficult to accomplish unless you live in southern California LA area then you can visit their store.

I recommend those two for price $499.00 and $349.00. If your new to tubes this a a good reasonable place to start. I own both amps and HD800 & HD800S.

https://www.schiit.com/products/lyr-1

https://www.schiit.com/products/valhalla-1

The LYR 3 is a hybrid, tube driver, SS output, the Valhalla 2 is tube in tube out and a perfect match for high impedance loads like the Senn’s 300ohm.

The LYR 3 has a tighter bass end, the Valhalla 2 typifies the all tube sound so many audiophiles take a shine to.

OH! and Schiit have a 15 day return policy and 5 year warranty.