Spirit Torino Headphones

I agree. The Clear OG is not strictly super-neutral but has a bit of warmth. Still I consider it to be rather neutral overall. I never heard the HD800S but I read they are supposed to sound much “flatter”. One could define a flat signature as the only true neutral, of course… :wink:

I may have found a possible reason. In the manual, there are different versions of the same headphone.
The 1706 and Ragnarr editions apparently have a different frequency range than the regular ones:

Also the driver is stated to be an “advanced neodymium” driver vs. a regular one on the standard editions. Maybe that’s the secret as I have the regular Super Leggera that goes not as deep as the 1706 or Ragnarr edition. So as for the Super Leggera, there are 3 different tunings in total! Also, I believe I was told that they changed the earcups on all models and did some optimisations on the SL.

In this review from George Dobrescu on Head-Fi the frequency range is different alltogether:

Spirit Torino SuperLeggera Open-Back Dynamic Headphones | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org (head-fi.org)

That makes it 4 different frequency ranges so far. It looks like they were iterating a lot on this one. (Maybe due to bad reviews?)

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience, i have heard a lot of the Twin Pulse, especially on italian forums but they were all kinda vague with the sound signature and not really saying a lot, so i was always left wondering if what i heard in the Superleggera was their house sound or just a “black sheep” in their lineup.

Yeah HD800S are defenetely much flatter. Especially in the bass. Personally it doesn’t bother, but i would understand if someone would call it “too flat/anemic”.

1 Like

So we all have our preferences :wink: :+1:

Btw. All ST headphones I have sound quite different. I could not make out a “house” sound so far.

1 Like

The thing is, it’s not really a matter of how deep goes the bass, it’s more of the quantity of it. The Ragnarr
and the 1706 should both just verions with upgraded drivers, without changing the tonality and just giving a better performing headphone, or so that’s what i understood by reading a bit online about them.

No idea about that one, but they are all pretty similar so maybe it’s in the realm of errors and such?
It wouldn’t really make sense to have 4 iterations with all different sound signature.
As for bad reviews, i highly doubt it. Online there is basically nothing, only on italian forums and 90% of the time is about the Twin Pulse and, although i haven’t searched a whole lot, never read a bad review of them, they were always pretty positive.
I really don’t know, maybe they really did a heavy revision on the sound signature?. I will contact Andrea Ricci tomorrow via email, maybe he can give us some clearer answers.

1 Like

From what i gathered their house sound should be “bassy” with the Superleggera being the bassiest of the bunch, the Twin Pulse is the more balanced but still described as bassy (here i am taking into account William Murdock impressions, he also reviewed the Twin Pulse and from what i remember he said that it was still pretty bassy but not as much as the Superleggera).
Would be interesting if someone does have a measurament rig to register their frequency graph.

I know frequency graphs don’t tell the whole story, but Crinacle measured the Radiante and seems to be pretty broken, like my impressions of the Superleggera: a wrong sounding headphone.

2 Likes

If you lived in Switzerland too, I would send you the SL to tell if they are different. My SL has the least bass of all 4 models by far with Radiante being the bassiest by far.

1 Like

Unfortunately i do not live in Switzerland, i live in Italy.

1 Like

So you’re at the source and can ask Andrea in Italian which I cannot. :+1::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Good morning everyone.

I already got some feedback from someone who works for Spirit Torino:

G:
“The earpads where updated twice. You have the latest version earpads, that have been substantiallly improved. If anyone wants the upgraded earpads, they can be ordered, and it is fairly easy to change them.”

Me:
“Only the earpads changed the sound so much? People said the SL was the bassiest headphone of Spirit Toriino. For me Radiante has like 10 times more bass.”

G:
“You are absolutely right, and yes, the earpads have a great impact, as they are the '“music chamber” between the drivers and the eardrums.”

Spirit Torino also sent me a chart that shows the new “Ventilation Pad System EVO” of the Twin Pulse.
They applied this to the Super Leggera pads too, just a bit simpler and smaller:

5 Likes

So it really is just a matter of updated earpads.
If everything goes well regarding the Covid vaccinations i think by October various events and gathering could re-open, as well as the “Milano Hi-Fidelity”, one of the biggest Hi-Fi gatherings in Italy. Spirit Torino should be present too. I’ll make sure to listen to their lineup and report back.

1 Like

I’m sure that if the sound signature change involves ear pads if you drop a line to Andrea and ask him to try the new ones he will have no problems sending you a couple in order to test them.

2 Likes

Oh really? I wonder what would be the cost and how that works, since i suppose Andrea would first want a deposit as a sort of “warranty” to get the headphone back and. I just turned 18 last year and don’t have a bank account and don’t want to get my family involved.

For a pair of headphone for sure Andrea will require an insurance but if as I’ve read above it is a questions of ear pads I don’t believe it is required.
Anyway dropping him a line and asking will cost you nothing more than the internet connection.
Being in Italy you can also call him or drop him a WhatsApp. He always replies in few minutes or at least he always replied me in few minutes.

2 Likes

The third in the bunch of Spirit Torino headphones:

Spirit Torino Twin Pulse 1706 Edition

First Impressions

The Spirit Torino Twin Pulse (TP) are open-back headphones with a voluminous sound signature and a darker but rather natural timbre. I read that the goal when creating this headphone was to achieve a true-to-the-original sound. Well, I’m not a sound engineer but Andrea Ricci, the owner and head of Spirit Torino, is and I believe he did a good job here. The Twin Pulse uses 2 drivers per side in an isobaric chamber which is pretty new and unique as far as I know.

Build quality

Spirit Torino don’t use plastic on their headphones. The 4 cans I received are all made of metal and real leather. The build quality is very very good, I love the craftsmanship that goes into those beauties!
The Twin Pulse are comfortable to wear, at least for me, despite the relatively high weight of 540g. The nicely padded headband and custom Dekoni earpads made from the softest leather are wonderful to touch and wear.

The cables on my model are fixed ones to achieve the highest possible sound quality. You can have the Twin Pulse with interchangeable cables too, but I wanted the best here. The attached cable is the thickest cable I’ve ever seen on any headphone! The diameter is around 10mm and it looks a bit like a serious speaker cable for a high end home system. Of course that Anaconda of a cable adds some weight as well, so I would probably not use this setup on-the-go. But you totally could! The quality of the cable is excellent -no complaints here whatsoever.

Sound signature

Out of the box the Twin Pulse took me some time to get used to. This headphones sound signature did not “jump at me” as immediately as the Super Leggera and Radiante did. I tried it, put it away and tried it again. As I am writing these impressions, I have finally made up my mind about the TP.

The Twin Pulse has less bass than the Radiante, which surprised me considering the tandem-drivers, but more than the Super Leggera. The bass quality is very good. There’s punch and structure when you need it and the sub-bass is always there supporting the other frequencies without overshadowing them, rather painting the whole scene in a slightly darker tint.

The TP renders a smooth, natural treble without ever getting sibilant. When listening to the TP for the first time, one could think that there’s lack of detail, but that could not be further from the truth. The detail is there, but less pronounced than on the Radiante or the Super Leggera. I don’t feel that any frequency has been artificially bumped here. It’s probably just the dual-drivers doing their work.

Singers appear slightly forward in a way that voices stand out a bit from the rest of the recording, but that’s probably not because the frequencies are emphasised but rather because the separation is simply excellent on the Twin Pulse.

Electric- and acoustic guitars are a pleasure to listen to and good orchestral recordings let you hear every single instrument. - The Twin Pulse are not very forgiving headphones: Bad recordings sound bad, good ones simply wonderful.

Amplification/Synergy/Tunability

Due to being restricted to the fixed 4-Pin XLR cable and an XLR-to-6.3mm adapter, I could not yet test the TP with other gear than my Burson DAC/amps. I hope to receive an adapter to 4.4mm balanced later to test them with my DAPs too.

So for now I can only guess that the Twin Pulse behave like the other Spirit Torino models and will be rather source-dependent. What I can say that they do work well with EQing, so you can experiment a bit here - though I personally don’t feel the need to do so.

Final thoughts so far

The TP have a relaxed and embracing yet captivating sound that makes for hours of fatigue free and enjoyable listening. And so I end my first impressions tonight while listening to Frank Sinatra’s “Nice ‘n Easy” album, with a satisfied smile, unable to skip a single track: “You go to my head like a sip of sparkling burgundy brew…” Exactly!

8 Likes

Did you contact Andrea?

1 Like

Yes i contacted him, forgot to report back. He confirmed that the pads make all the difference. As he said they are “like the tires on a supercar, it can make a world of a difference”. He also said to me that if a wanted to try the headphone, the deposit is “only” 30% of its value, i honestly thought it would have been more. If i fail to get to listen to them, i may try them out this way.

3 Likes

That’s great, thanks for the feedback!
I would have never thought the pads can change sound so drastically. :grin:

They have changed all the pads on all products and even iterated them. It’s good to see a company take customer feedback seriously.

If you get the SL, make sure to use a source that has some warmth or is not totally neutral. With a neutral source, the bass is basically zero, at least to my ears. But since you like the HD800s, the new signature might be to your liking.

3 Likes

In case anyone is interested, impressions of Titano will be up next…

3 Likes

They kinda look like Rollerblade wheels from the 90s. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes