Empire Ears Valkyrie - Official Thread

The Empire Ears Valkyrie is a hybrid driver style IEM using a dynamic driver for bass frequencies, a balanced armature for the mids and an electrostatic driver for high frequencies.

Tech Specs:

• Drivers - 3 Proprietary Drivers, “Tribrid Design” (1 W9 Subwoofer, 1 Mid, 1 EST High)
  • Estat Technology - Empire Intelligent Variable Electrostatic Control
  • Technology - 4-Way SynX Crossover System, A.R.C. Resonance Mitigation Technology
  • Impedance - 3 Ohms @ 1kHz
  • Sensitivity - 96dB @ 1kHz, 1mW
  • Cable - 26AWG UPOCC Litz Copper/UPOCC Silver Hybrid Cable, Handcrafted By Effect Audio

First impressions:
I mentioned to @taronlissimore that I think the Valkyrie sounds like a “spicy Campfire Solaris”, and I think I’m going to run with that. To be more specific, this is a V-shaped IEM that demonstrates the “guilty pleasure” concept isn’t mutually exclusive with exceptional performance. The dynamic driver gives it solid punch in the bass, much like the Solaris - if not slightly more so. Then there’s substantial midrange recession, more dramatic than the Solaris, as well as a bit more treble energy. The treble is well-extended, again much like the Solaris, however there’s also a slight 5khz peak that affects percussive instruments ever so slightly. Without even looking at the frequency response, that 5khz elevation is immediately recognizable on the Valkyrie, and this is why I like to call it a bit ‘spicy’. It’s just an extra little bit of energy that personally isn’t quite to my taste, but I can still see it being a desirable quality to some.

In spite of it not being totally my preference, it’s really good as far as performance goes, and the tonality is still quite agreeable for modern genres (an EDM lover’s dream?). In fact, while I’m able to find a few things to nitpick, there’s far more that this IEM gets right, and it’s easily one of my favorite Empire Ears IEMs. For anyone wanting something similar to the Solaris just with a bit more flare to it in the treble, the Valkyrie is worth a serious look.

9 Likes

Just adding my impressions video here:

4 Likes

The Valkyrie has some of the best bass I’ve heard in an IEM. Particularly its subbass response as it hits & rumbles suuuuuper low. To balance it out, Empire tuned for more 1-8khz response which (imo) balanced it out nicely. It’s a bit like how Hyla chooses to tune their IEMs.

2 Likes