SPL Phonitor X DAC/AMP - Official Thread

The X sounded markedly better for my JBL LSR 308s than my Jotunheim. The Jot is no slouch, but X is pro man. It sounded more dynamic and impactful to my ears. All around improvement.

4 Likes

I am curious about what you thought of the Phonitor X compared to the ECP DSHA 3F, especially with the Verite or Focal Utopia/Clear if you had then on hand.

The X sounds like a solid state amp (one of the best I’ve heard) in that it is just ultra clean and revealing. The 3F has a 2nd order distortion thing going on, so it’s actually more like an ultra clean tube amp in sound and staging. The X beats the 3F in bass quantity, but the 3F (subjectively speaking) hands the X it’s ass in every other aspect, I’ve found.

If you want a good comparison of the 3F to another amp, it would be a modified Eddie Current Aficionado running it’s best glass. The EC Af slightly edges out the 3F on staging depth, by maybe… 10%, but otherwise I found they have almost exactly the same staging and spatial queues. Tonally, they are super close to each other as well. The 3F nails the subbass a little better with better control and texture, but the differences are subtle and track dependant.

Best part is, you don’t have to wait an hour for it to warm up, will never have to buy tubes for it, it takes up 1/3rd the space, and it won’t challenge your air conditioning for superiority during the summer.

The design of it is also extremely elegant and simple. XLR in and XLR out, volume and a power switch. What else does a guy need?

Also, two transformers are available for it, and are user swappable. The amorphous core transformer is a little more neutral, and the nickel core adds just a little bit of flavor.

Hope that helps.

Edit: I know this turned into a comparison against the Af, and not the X. Sorry. If I had to summarize the difference between the 3F and x, I would say the 3F brings the soul of the music out, the X it’s better for analytical listening.

4 Likes

Thanks for that, I appreciate that you took the time to respond. I had read a few very positive comments about the 3F and while you are the only one who has specifically mentioned 2nd order harmonic distortion as part of the design, I was very intrigued by its comparison to a good quality tube amp. I gave up on tubes because of the warm-up period and all that heat as you mentioned, and the expensive and obsessive nature of tube rolling but I loved the listening experience. I wish more ss amp designers would incorporate a hint of “good”, purposeful and carefully implemented distortion into their products (the Pass Labs HPA-1 comes to mind) but the repeated mantra now is, “all distortion is bad.” “No need to listen, just look at the SINAD measurements.”

2 Likes

From : https://superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/ecp-audio-dsha-3f-technical-measurements.7509/

People who rely on SINAD measurements are like those ill-fated mad scientists in movies who run around in a hysterical panic as the lab explodes around them, screaming “it should have worked, my science was infallible!” … then die.

atomicbob’s notes on the amp:

5 Likes

I do not need this. I do not need this. Who am I kidding? Of course I do…

I’ve known about SPL for about the past 5 years. Ever since I dabbled a bit into music production, SPL’s one of those brands that has continuously stuck out in my book. Though I learned about them from their extremely robust VST plugins, they’re certainly no slouches in the hardware department. I had zero reservations suggesting the Crimson audio interface for producers who weren’t limited in budget and not a single one felt I misled them. UA, RME, and MOTU have a pretty firm hold on the Crimson’s price bracket and it’s well-deserved, but there’s something ze Germans have managed to do with SPL that I don’t think I have the ability to quantify.

If you have the capability of adding VSTs into your audio chain, I’d highly recommend either adding in TwinTube for its amazing tube emulation or EQ Ranger Plus for a (to me) completely transparent implementation of software-based GEQ. Obviously, they’ll hold much more use in the audio production realm, but guys like Plugin Alliance frequently run sales on SPL’s VSTs and it’s not uncommon to find TT or EQRP down at $30 per.

One of these days, I’ll be able to justify the Phonitor’s cost and it’s nice to see that there’s a segment of the head-fi world that’s embracing SPL in the hardware realm just as much as my producer buddies have in the software one.

6 Likes

If I had the funds the one I would buy would be the Phonitor X.

4 Likes

The SPL Director Mk2 is about to come out. What a lovely stack of VU meters that would make.

https://spl.audio/professional-fidelity/director-mk2/?lang=en

1 Like

I was initially tempted … “just because” … but it just has too much overlap with my Phonitor X …

And the ability to put a signal processor, or, say, a tube-buffer stage, in to the setup using the tape-loop is particularly tempting. If I didn’t have the X and actual tube-amps, it’d be hard to ignore …

Now for those that went with the Phonitor XE … :wink:

3 Likes

Happy cake day!!! and you stop it also! you and @Torq are bad for me today!!!

2 Likes

Buy it. Buy it now. Food is overrated.

2 Likes

I do follow the 16/8 fasting M-F but tend to level out on the weekends due to eating whatevs :laughing:

The logical stack would be Director Mk2 to Phonitor E. I’d stick a Garage1217 Project Sunrise 3 in the tape loop for magic sauce duties.

Two sets of VU meters would be overkill. Then again, I probably couldn’t sell the XE and afford the E, so…

1 Like

I am admittedly ridiculous, but the SPL Phonitor XE has been largely relegated to IEM duties. The RME ADI-2 DAC has an amazing IEM output, but my main earphones seem to enjoy the power and control of the SPL amp.

Perhaps 32ohm dynamic drivers still like power regardless of the size of the package? I mostly use my Future Sonics MG5HX. Any of my other IEMs don’t get the royal SPL treatment (nor much head time).

I do still use the Sennheiser HD650s with the Phonitor XE at times, but I mostly use the ECP Audio L-2 for those. Edit: I’ve slowly migrated more toward the Phonitor in the past week. Something about how clean it is is missed when I stop using it.

1 Like

SPL Phonitor XE Headphone Amplifier Review

Top secret: My setup when reviewing gear tends not to be very tidy. It looks more like this mess:

8 Likes

I never realized how big that is compared to the RME ADI-2 dac. Nice looking setup!

2 Likes

I just noticed that Headphones.com has a Canadian site (.ca) with items priced in Canadian dollars. I also noticed that the Phonitor X is priced the same in CDN dollars as it is in US dollars - $2499 and that there are open box Phonitor Xs priced at $2099 CDN. If that is the case and not an error, it is an amazing deal!! Wish I had seen that before purchasing.

3 Likes

Enjoyable read.

I recently put a phonitor e into my chain.
While evaluating, I got lost and popped up for air about 2 hours later.

I am using this with a Verite and was listening to an album the I have been listening to since the '70’s. Allman Brother’s/Fillmore East. I believe I have finally heard it all. There have been many improvements over time, source/format, amps and speakers.

Anything truer than this, well it is possible, but I may never hear it.
USB from fidelerized pc, Gungnir MB A3, phonitor e, and ZMF Verite.

5 Likes

Now that I’ve initiated stage 1 of my kinda-upgrade process for my system, I’m almost ready to upgrade my amp.

Well, not really upgrade so much as spend a bunch of money to get the preamp outputs of the SPL Phonitor X.

I’ll probably list my Phonitor XE (silver) here first since this seems to be the best discussion venue for the amp and this forum could use more good deals.

4 Likes

I’ll have to review the different models’ capabilities but this amp seems to have no bad reviews and appears pretty much end game for many.
I suppose if there’s a pre-amp version and one needs that, your goal posts got moved in your end game!

$2,000 is a bit out of my league, especially as it would also require an excellent DAC purchase.

It would also likely send me down a never ending “wonder how those sound with the Phonitor” HP buying vortex!

2 Likes