SPL Phonitor X DAC/AMP - Official Thread

I’ve settled on my temporary endgame.

We’re trying to finish paying off a car so we can save up for a house down payment.

Tubes are terrible for my wallet. Even with something that has limited options like the ECP Audio L-2, I get really stupid and buy too many tubes.

I was about to embark on a speaker journey, but that would destroy my wallet even further.

In the end, I’m settling in with the RME ADI-2 Pro FS going to the SPL Phonitor XE.

I’ll be letting go of the ECP amp soon (buyer backed out).

3 Likes

I was just talking with @andrew today about how the Phonitor XE was my end game Solid State lol… except I’m going the other way with tube amps lol… I get my latest EC ZDT Jr next week…

4 Likes

I’m very curious on what you think of the ZDT jr. I was looking at it earlier this week but there aren’t any power ratings on the drop website for it.

1 Like

Well, before I melted my first one trying to remount the transformer… I really liked the sound! Enough to plunk down for the new (Mass)Drop drop lol… probably the best non-kit tube amp you can get under $600, it might even give the Cayin Ha-1A MKII a run for the money :dollar:

But I’ll have to give a more thorough comparison after I have more time with the lil amp

2 Likes

Good to know, I’m guessing the kit tube amp you’re comparing it to is the crack? I’ve been wanting to build one of those for a while… might have to do it soon.
Did you ever play around with the darkvoice?

No, I went straight to the BHC… I also have the Cayin HA-1A MKII… BHC with speedball and some tube rolls is my current favorite (sorry driving home so editing in as I go).

1 Like

You get a lot of weight for the money.

They don’t look bad.

If it was me … I’d spend my money almost anywhere else …Vali 2, anything from Garage 1217 (except, maybe, the Ember II - of which I am not a fan), the Crack, the EC ZDT Jr etc.

Now, if you habitually listen to poorly recorded/mastered noise, via Spotify and/or YouTube, via an ODAC and low-end Grados or the more common cheapy Beyers … it might be worth pursuing.

6 Likes

No worries man, drive safe.

1 Like

Thanks @Torq, I’m thinking I might do the crack then. Or just bite the bullet and work on building the mainline!

2 Likes

The Mainline is an excellent amplifier … but I’d start with the Crack unless you’re experienced in building electronics kits already. And, in particular, point-to-point wired kits at that.

2 Likes

I’ve built a few of my own guitar tube amps and well as kits there. But I may start with the crack anyway just for fun.

2 Likes

Excuse the trash photo, but this is my endgame for a while.

11 Likes

Very nice!

1 Like

I had a Phonitor XE with DAC in the house for about a month to do a supplemental review at Basshead.Club.

The short version: The DAC part is very good, but is outclassed by the amp (in that the amp is superlative).

It’s the inverse of the RME ADI-2 DAC, which has an outstanding DAC that outclasses its very good amp.

If you specifically need an all-in-one unit, I would likely go so far as to say that it’s better than the ADI-2 DAC if sound is the only consideration.

The USB is quite capable. I tend to listen for USB issues that I describe as hash or swoosh. Those issues are very common and are present in almost all USB implementations (exceptions include RME, Schiit, and Soekris). The SPL Phonitor XE does not have these issues.

The Uber-DAC is clean, transparent, and revealing. Without an amp as resolving as the Phonitor XE, it would be difficult to tell the difference between it and the RME. For those familiar with the ADI-2 DAC/Pro, I believe the Uber-DAC sounds like it uses the SD Sharp filter.

My only real issue with it is that you’re paying a considerable sum for a DAC that can only be used with one amp. Without preamp outs or direct output from the DAC, the DAC itself has essentially no versatility. You’re locked into the stock filter of the AK4490 and can only use it with the Phonitor XE amp.

For a couple hundred more, I slightly prefer the RME ADI-2 DAC and it comes with incredible versatility (more than any DAC ever, to be fair).

Back to the USB momentarily: I did feel the sonics were improved just a touch by using the AES output of the RME ADI-2 Pro FS vs. the USB of the Phonitor XE. It became more effortless and smooth in comparison.

As an AIO, the Phonitor XE is outstanding, but it’s hard to recommend if you ever plan to have an additional amp.

In the end, my personal setup is an RME ADI-2 Pro FS going to an SPL Phonitor XE without the Uber-DAC.

5 Likes

Man everyone on this forum with the Phonitor has the RME ADI-2 feeding it. The envy is very real from me!

Need to convince @andrew that getting one for the office is a wise investment.

8 Likes

I know how you feel :smile:

3 Likes

Poke Poke

@andrew you guys deserve one for your office :wink:

Just realized this picture is suggestive of a couple of suggestions for your office…all good ones :wink: but I’m specifically staying in line with the topic of the RME ADI-2DAC…

4 Likes

I feel lonely not having a Phonitor to power my RME.

4 Likes

Spend more time here … and explain to the S.O. that, if you just buy FOUR more of them, you’ll have saved enough for a nice vacation! :wink:

5 Likes

That is a dangerous post… It’s a good thing I’m trying to pair down right now…very tempted by a couple of those items…

4 Likes