STAX Discussion for STAX and Other Electrostatics

Niiiice! Good to see some one snagged those 407’s in a 404 shell.

Jealous you got your Icelandic treasures before me! Customs is killllling me atm

An yea wow I can’t believe it’s been 21 days, I did settle on a @spritzer CCS modded SRM-007tA and a Stax SR 009. Hoping it’s a wow’zr

2 Likes

Mine took a little less than 3 weeks … maybe 18 days … to get to Florida. Hopefully your Box’o’GreatFun should be arriving soon.

I’m definitely enjoying my @spritzer modified SRM-T1S, but I have yet to bite the bullet and purchase some new STAX headphones. You’re both making me jealous. I know, it’s only money. But I want a Bifrost 2 next to the SRM-T1S also. I’m still using my normal bias SR-5n earspeakers that I bought new.

Looks like you guys took all of Birgir’s better used headphones - except maybe the Orpheus.

As a tightwad, I do look for a good bargain on an SR-L700 or maybe the SR-007.

4 Likes

I hope, I’m right at 3 weeks now… 21 days >.>

It must be the tubes freaking the Custom workers out

1 Like

Birgir https:@spritzer is awesome. One of my favorite headphone gurus. I had a KGSS/HV amp of his some time ago, and I wish I still had it.

I currently own a Pure Bipolar dynamic amp he made, and if it sounds incredible driving a pair of Focal Stellias. This combo gives Stax a run for it’s money. The Stax SR-007/KGSS-HV has a bit more transparency, BUT, the Stellia/Pure Bipolar has more jump/slam, and sounds closer to live music.

1 Like

Yea I’ve been eye balling his Bi Polar amps, a very close friend of mine built himself a 100% matched [like he hand matched/measured] his Dynahi and it’s dreamy with headphones…

So to hear the Bi Polar is the what super symmetry schematic for the Dynalow, I’m interested!

I’ve heard that due to the open design and the ultra-thin membrane of the speaker, Stax are extremely sensitive to dust. So much so that they should always be covered or stored away when not in use. What does the crowd say about this? I certainly want to protect this investment.

I’ve never had a problem with my STAX. Never took any special care, but now that I’ve heard this I might store my 45 year old SR5n more carefully.

Nah

1 Like

mmhm I’d take care of em, the 009 I got has just displayed a 10 dB channel imbalance, which is apparently common to them :confused:

Of the 4hours I got with 009 with the CCS Modded SRM007tA and a Bricasti M3 Dac I have to say it was quite something! Very much what I was hoping for… but back to waiting I guess as I need to secure a replacement for this defective unit… or hope it “settles”

1 Like

Yes, yes, take care of them. I’ve been lucky. And the 009 is a bit pricer than the $495 in 1983 dollars that I paid for mine. It may also be that the higher voltages in Pro Bias attract more dust. Elsewhere the same question was asked and I referenced @spritzer’s website and comments.

I would NOT be happy with a 10 db channel imbalance at that price. I’ve never heard the 007 or the 009. Which doesn’t stop me from wanting a pair. Glad to hear it was what you were hoping for.

I’m still looking for the gift of a crown royal bag to help protect the new Hives. I have one…

2 Likes

Right… I’ll sort it out and it’s gotten better. Tonight it’s only 5dBs so maybe in the morning it’ll have settle’d again. Apparently some drivers only have intermittent imbalance problems, others never settle

1 Like

I had an electrostatic phase in my collection and have experience with TOTL Stax models. My setup consisted of:

• SR-009, SR-007 mkII and L700 mk I.
  • KGSShv and Octave III. But I started out with the SRM-007TII.

I later decided to focus on dynamic headphones instead and sold my whole e-stat setup. I would still like to hear a blu-tack modded L700 mkII and a SR-404LE. Those two models are what I would go for if I got back into Stax.

If you have any questions about the above mentioned Stax models and amps I would be happy to answer them.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in your thoughts comparing the L700 and the SR-007. STAX has a long history of having both Lambda style headphones and more traditional looking round ones in their lineup. Back in the 80’s the round ones were in the middle, not on top.

2 Likes

The L700 is brighter and sounds airier to me. The 007 sounds a lot darker to begin with and has more prominent bass presence. I feel that the L700 sounds more forward from the mids and up. The 007 is more easy going from upper mids and up. It is easier to amp the L700, the 007 really needs a powerful amp to shine. I do think that the L700 and 007 complement each other well, there is definitely room for both in a collection.

6 Likes

I just joined the L700 MKII club. Having lots of fun with estats right now, especially with the L700.

7 Likes

I know this is probably more of a “general purchase advice” but it is sort of relevant here…

What models of electrostats are worth keeping an eye out for on places like ebay?

I will sometimes see older Stax models for cheap prices (like $200) but are without energizers or are a model I can’t really find !uch about online. I would love to try some out but have really no idea where to start without dropping a huge amount of cash.

I guess my question is, what is a realistic “low budget” option in the e-stat world?

3 Likes

I would say the best budget option to try Electrostatics in my opinion would be the Koss ESP95X. Energizer and headphone for $400 I believe.

6 Likes

This, and very good recommendation.

1 Like

Buying new, as @dncnexus says, the Koss makes sense. It’s often on Drop, but that may not work for you in Spain. https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-koss-esp-95x-electrostatic-system

You might take your time and look at Birger’s website https://mjolnir-audio.com and see what he has in used headphones. He’s pretty good in getting back in email and discussing or helping. He had been a member here @spritzer, but I don’t see him listed anymore.

I have one of the amps he worked on (modified STAX amp), and he sometimes has decent buys on amps, plus he has an upgraded SRD-7 energizer if you have a regular stereo amp to hook up. He’s in Iceland, I don’t know if there are advantages regarding duty, etc. for you.

I see right now he has an SRM-T1S modified just like the one I got from him in his used equipment.

4 Likes

mmmhm, I quite like the 95X. I need to get my review posted for it tho now that I have both a 100% stock model and one with upgraded pads [and an upgraded energizer] to compare to it

1 Like