Sub-$900 Headphone Recommendations

Correction. I’ve now heard three complaints regarding the Focal Elegia and with that said, I still think they’re a good option. :+1:t4:

7 Likes

I still think they are an excellent closed can. @generic is a good example of how at the end is going to be down to preference. I honestly dont like Planars for closed cans (there is only a few options in that arena) but you can see how another perspective regarding comfort and or levels of fatigue are a huge factor to the end user.

To me Focal all day long for closed cans. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Same here, I’ll only use closed-backs in situations where I don’t want to bother other people with my backwaves. However there is a closed-back that I fell for head over heels: the Focal Stellia. It doesn’t sound or feel like a closed-back at all, there isn’t that come-and-go pressure feeling and the sound is extremely accurate and detailed. It is in the esoteric category though.

4 Likes

900 bucks and a mojo, I would with cans that would work with the mojo. Used hd800’s, hd700’s , hd660’s ,hd650’s, seem tempting but they need more power to sound good. Most Audeze’s will need way more power. The cans that stick out in my mind would be the Audeze LCD -GX,LCD X ,Campfire audio Cascade. With the power restraints to your amp your choice is very limited to sound good. Any IEM with that budget you would get better sound IMO. Since I have a mojo do know the strengths and weaknesses first hand. To me a used campfire andromeda would be a sure bet with great sound at the budget level

Sorry to be the 1st negative comment anyone has heard on the Focal Elegia: heard them briefly at an audio show last fall & hated the sound immediately: it felt bright, overly insistent (exactly as I hear the Elear), extremely closed in, and like all Focals I’ve tried, very uncomfortable. Those big earcups are very hard and sit against my face like a large drinking glass pressing around my ears.

Of course, this is not a fair comment to make: I spent little time with the Elegia (didn’t want to, frankly), and don’t recall the source. People who own or have spent time reviewing them know way more about this headphone than I do.

Moving on, I do have a recommendation for the OP: the E Mu Teak. It’s is less bright and has more nuanced/nicer treble than the TX-00 models that are physically similar, and thus sounds closer to neutral. Soundstage is better than the TX-00s, courtesy of the somewhat larger interior volume of the teak cup vs the other woods. And the bass is really to die for, as usual with this platform. There’s genuine sub-bass, not just suggested, and the rest of the bass range is very pleasing. This headphone impressed me. I sold it only because of what I experienced as uncomfortable earpads (but not everyone is as picky as me).

6 Likes

That was one comment; you posted the 4th negative comment in this thread!

Focal Elear, Elex, and Elegia can indeed be bright and/or insistent.

4 Likes

I think this comes to AMP paring and synergy.
No brightness at all using the iCan Pro. aka The Master of None.

1 Like

Yes, it can be mitigated by other devices. My initial dislike of the Elex’ brightness led to about half a dozen amp, DAC, and balanced cable purchases. However, the intensity cannot be fully eliminated. As you wrote earlier, personal preference and fatigue sensitivity are key factors.

2 Likes

Indeed, 10char limit.

I have no opinion of the Elex since I’ve only listened to it once, the Elegia I don’t like that much but the Elear can be made to sound excellent with proper DSP either self-programmed or commercial products like those from Sonarworks. That makes it sound dramatically different from the native sound, neutral like the Clear of which one could say is a corrected Elear in disguise.

1 Like

I am not an Elegia owner myself (yet), but wanted to put my hat in the ring as someone who likes them a lot. I will likely get a pair for work if/when I’m back in an office, and will, just like you, be running them off of a Mojo. For context, I have a Utopia + Hugo 2 at home, and having listened to the Elegia in an audition setting, think that would be a perfect work version of my home setup. I feel Focal has nailed clarity + punch, and they pair brilliantly with the Chord DAC/Amps, so that sounds like a good mix for the music you said you prefer. However, I also want to note that I’m not a planar guy - nothing wrong with them at all - just personal preference, and a relevant caveat - so, if you have a chance to spend a bit more time with Elegias vs [whatever planar] and find what you like, that will certainly help.Good luck!

3 Likes

I’d put a vote in for the E-mu Teak. I think those, with the Elegia would offer a pretty complete closed-back experience.,

2 Likes

I may have missed it @Minjun_Kim but what sound preference do you have/looking for? Based on your listening preferences you mentioned, I’d definitely lean more toward the E-mu Teak over the Elegia and, of the one’s you listed, The LCD-2 Closed, though I’d go with the LCD-XCs (probably can find a deal on them to get them in your price range). Those are going to have a bit more oomph in the low end that 2 of the genres you listen to a more lively. I can’t listen to hip-hop with the Elegia’s after listening to them on the Teak’s and tend to find my way to them when listening to hip hop and pop in general unless I’m using headphones like the LCD-3 or VC.

Another, and it’s at that upper end, is maybe a ZMF Atticus B-stock. Don’t know if they have any at the moment but you can always ask.

6 Likes

If you look hard enough, and an open headphone is OK, the Focal Clear is sometimes out there for 1k or slightly less, but you’d have to go up a little from your price range. Those are killer, and the best-looking in the lineup. Might not be great for travel use since they aren’t closed back.

2 Likes

I think if you have “on-the-go” in mind, you really cannot go wrong with the Elegia. Sleek design, nice hard-shell case, and easy to drive. Can’t forget to mention the really good sound quality and isloation.

4 Likes

Atticus used. Best purchase I’ve ever made. Neutral to slightly warm sound. They do originally come with a carrying case, but I definitely wouldn’t consider them portable. Paired them with a Bottlehead Crack I built myself. I am pretty set for a while.

5 Likes

If you like the Atticus, you’d probably go nuts for the Aeolus (same driver in a somewhat different & open earcup). It’s my favorite headphone ever…

3 Likes

I’d suggest 18 KOSS Porta-Pros

8 Likes

Pretty sure @Resolve here would recommend the Elegia if you’re going for closed back.

And the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed. I think there are a few threads comparing them as well. Check out the musical comparison from @MRHifiReviews.

I also did a closed-back shootout:

7 Likes