Suggest audio-related topics for us to cover on our podcast, The Noise Floor!

Ahh got it. Appreciate the insight regardless! Clamp never scared me before, but havnt had the pleasure with Audezes as of yet. Just really didnt think id feel that 2k dip on arya so hard. Makes me nervouse MM500 will get me in the other direction. Alas, nothing is perfect without the inconvenience of eq

Your topic on taste last week got me thinking about how aspects outside of audio impacts our perception of audio. It is well known that audio memory is quite fallible. So it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on what we actually remember is the emotion we felt when listening to something rather than what something sounded like.

So if something sounds bad we remember the disappointment, anger or surprise we felt when we heard it rather than necessarily how the product sounds. And then how this emotive response shapes our preferences.

2 Likes

I actually think this is something we haven’t talked about at all and I genuinely think there’s a good reason to touch on it, even if only briefly. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

While we are trying to avoid touching on the extremely nerdy stuff like this as often as we have previously, I think its likely worth talking about because the answer isn’t necessarily simple. Thanks Kierke!

1 Like

If I can use PEQ really well should I just get my hrtf measured and eq everything to my hrtf? (I am very inexperienced and have a basic understanding of this topic so I am curious).

We can talk about this at some point, but the simple answer is likely “yes, but you’ll likely still need to make preference adjustments.”

How should I go about protecting my hearing? Like finding the right listening levels? What kind of earplugs should I use and knowing when to use them? Does anc help with protecting your hearing?

We rarely if ever talk about ear protection and we definitely should. Thanks for the suggestions!

1 Like

You’re the best! All of these have been added, though the “history of headphones” sounds like a better idea for a separate video (an idea we’re happy to yoink, thanks :grin:)

1 Like

I actually love this topic, and I think it speaks to a level of engagement with audio we rarely if ever talk about on the show, so it has been ADDED :partying_face: Thanks, Sorys!

2 Likes

A few ideas but they all revolve around things you’ve read/what you’d recommend others should read.

• Discussing some of the “essentials” when it comes to what to read (papers/articles/books)
  • Talking about what papers/books/articles were important for you guys/made an impact/gave you an “aha!” moment
  • Discussing some of the “time traps” in the academic scene. Pretty much any discipline will have practices/ideas that are discussed/written about, yet are complete wastes of time to read into for one reason or another. Having some sort of warning from people that know what they’re talking about would be nice.
1 Like

Talk about discrepancies between reviewers (among yourselves probably, if you guys are feeling adventurous you could talk about other reviewers) and how to navigate through these discrepancies.

Discrepancies could include different taste, language usage, methodology and their general philosophy on reviewing

How about something completely different… Music?

4 Likes

This could be fun, though I fear we may have more fun than the audience. Thanks, it’s been added!

Oh I actually love this idea. Definitely added, thanks.

We did this two streams ago and I’m stumping for it to become a recurring segment!

How about Music formats Dolby Atmos or Spatial Audio. In my opinion there are big differences, some albums sound great in Dolby Atmos (Rush: Moving Pictures) others are terrible (Dire Straits: Money for nothing (Remastered 2022)).

1 Like

You can make it like a short section, where everybody introduces a single piece / song and why this particular one. Not only from a HiFi perspective, but also from a ‘what moved you’ view.

If you have any experience with them, I’d love to hear about the products that try to deal with HRTF simulation and creating actual out-of-head soundstage. (The ones I know about are the Smyth Realizer, BACCH and the open source Impulcifier.)

Also, since I am a lazy bastard, best headphones for using EQ presets, i.e. in your experience which have the least unit variation and differences in FR between user’s heads (anything else?)

1 Like

I have talked about this multiple times, but I’d like to hear more about amp power measurements, how different amps perform under high loads, etc., because I still feel this is an area where using price as a proxy creeps in

1 Like

I’d market an “Earth’s magnetic field nullifier.” Ideally, I’d purchase a prop from a 1950s b&w sci-fi movie, and manufacture a limited number of copies (perhaps 25). It would claim to nullify the effect Earth’s magnetic field has on headphone magnets (it would come with suggested settings, based on the magnetic field strengths of the 20 most expensive headphones on the market). It would retail for $1,950.

Another idea, along the lines of the suggestion by @SenyorC: What headphones that you’ve heard are PERFECT matches for certain genres of music, in your opinion? Various price points, various driver types.

What’s your favorite headphone for rock? Classical? Jazz? Hip-hop? EDM? Metal? Acoustic? Vocals?

There’s a lot of emphasis these days on “all-arounders,” and that’s great, especially when you don’t have a big budget for multiple cans. But getting granular, which cans just NAIL IT for certain genres?

1 Like

How do you compare audio equipment, both headphones and electronics? Things like level matching, A/B, blind vs sighted, long vs short listening between switching, evaluation music, etc.

Do solid state amplifiers that “measure well” (I’m being purposefully vague) sound different? If so, in what way and are there measurements that can show this?