A discussion about what we want this community to become

As the founding members of The HEADPHONE Community, we get to decide what it becomes. I wanted to start this thread to get an open conversation going about the kind of community you want to be a part of.

What do you like about current audio communities? What do you not like? What do you hope we become? What do you hope we avoid becoming?

Make sure you’ve read the Welcome Post to get an idea of our founding principles.

Look forward to seeing what we come up with!

2 Likes

What I like about headphones community: info, exchanges, news about news models, feedbacks. I do NOT like conflicts and arguments, whether it’s about cables, subjective perceptions or objective measurements, etc.

3 Likes

I like hearing about impressions of new/upcoming headphones, seeing measurements of headphones, and discussions of the science/theory behind headphone technologies

8 Likes

We also do not like arguments about cables, “snake oil”, etc…

This community isn’t meant to sway people one way or another on the subject. If someone purchases headphones, cable, dac, amp or whatever else and they genuinely are happy with their purchase than we want to hear about their enjoyment with the headphones. People can offer counter opinions about why they don’t like that particular thing. But no opinion is wrong because even though headphones can be measured with some objective measurements, the enjoyment of audio is still largely a subjective experience.

13 Likes

It’d be really nice to have a friendly forum for discussion on both the objective and subjective aspects of headphones/dacs/amps/etc. Basically a way for measurements as well as personal preference/taste to coexist without people debating the weight of one over the other.

12 Likes

Amen

3 Likes

also, it’d be nice to have a buy and sell system. :man_shrugging:
oh and to have loaner tours of new products!

5 Likes

Awesome. We agree on that. We are also preparing to launch a tiered review system as well - and you get to keep the headphones you review. The higher quality the review, the more expensive the gear you get.

10 Likes

A buy and sell system is a good idea. Have any ideas on the best way to set one up? Any good software kicking around?

2 Likes

I’m mostly interested in finding stuff out about gear. Headphones, amps, players, tweaks maybe. As reported by the end users and not by parties with various biases (e.g. professional reviewers and/or publications). Nothing wrong with a professional review, most of them know their stuff, but regular dudes reviewing stuff seems a tad more honest, even if maybe highly subjective. Mind you, all hi-fi is subjective once you drift away from specs and measurements :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, I tend to find a lot of new music via threads of the “What are you listening?” variety. After all, it’s all about music, innit? Maybe pinning one such thread wouldn’t be a bad idea.

4 Likes

I love listening to music. Anything that makes the music sound better is what I am lookin for. I am not current with the latest jargon either, and do not like all the technical stuff that comes with some reviews and forums. I think it’s interesting and am wanting to learn some of it eventually, when there is time.
But for now, I am just looking for other enthusiasts who enjoy music also and can help me make my music enjoyment better through opinions and suggestions.
And trying out new equipment would be a plus. My most expensive headphones purchase is the Sennheiser Momentum wireless version. I will have that post in the current set up thread.
Trying out some of the more expensive headphones would be nice to see what the difference is. I would be willing to return them also and purchase my own if I deemed them worthy.
Being on a budget makes me choosy.
I also like to know any other equipment needed to make the music sound great.

1 Like

Seems like I am always in the market or interested in new headphones, so I’d just enjoy reading people’s actual experiences with the headphones they either own, have borrowed, or just have heard. The more hands on, real world perspectives I can read, the better.

Friendly is always nice, too!

3 Likes

I like that. Along those lines I think it’s also important to avoid tropes and to try to avoid group-think (or accepted group wisdom). We need to always work from first-hand experience and not “play to the crowd.”

Hard to do, but I think it’s important.

1 Like

“Community” is the right word, I think, to describe what we’re building here. The audiophile hobby, in general and head-fi, in particular, tends to be a solitary pursuit. An outlet to share experiences with likeminded enthusiasts who are supportive rather than combative helps us to feel less isolated. It’s also great fun to welcome newcomers to the world of quality sound reproduction and help them to get their questions answered while supporting their growing interest in what we’re all up to. This space changes quickly, so sharing news about new gear, software, and techniques that may lead to a more involving experience will keep all of us learning and engaged.

5 Likes

I want our community to be an open market of ideas. Let all opinions be heard but I wish everybody should adhere to the most basic of human courtesy, respect!

2 Likes

I don’t know. I don’t mind a good debate as long as it stays civil and reasonable. At the same time, that rarely happens so I see your point.

2 Likes

I believe it will be important for you to enforce your Industry Insider Guidelines appropriatly. Head-Fi started out as something great, community driven and ended up as yet another marketplace for vendors to peddle their wares. Your guidelines look good. The focus should always remain on the community.

4 Likes

That is exactly why our guidelines exist and I am glad that you agree.

Schilling has its place as in the end businesses are businesses and they need to make money to survive. But his isn’t the place for schilling. There are other places like the one you mentioned for that.

With no sponsorships / brand fees, this is a place for representatives to freely engage with their community at their own will. The level of participation is entirely up to them.

4 Likes

I am interested in gaining knowledge of the various headphone types that are available and which amps are best suited for a particular type/headphone.

2 Likes