Tell me about your simple setup

My setup is already simple. Running Hifiman Ananda with SBX AE5 soundcard. This soundcard is so underrated btw. Ananda is extremely open so i have backup DT 770 too.

Now i’ve ordered Topping E30 dac and Drop THX 789 amp. The soundcard is already good and capable enough though i wanted to see how good external dac/amps works.

Hifiman Arya is out of my league but i have big curiousity towards Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Beyerdynamic T1.2, Audeze LCD 2F and one of those foster closed backs (Fostex X00 Ebony or Emu Teak).

4 Likes

I have an early model of the JDS Labs Element (no RCA-in). Despite thinking about upgrading many, many times I can never bring myself to do it, mostly because I couldn’t hear a substantive difference between The Element and a SMSL SU-8 v2 + Auralic Taurus combo, which measures at least 15 db better in terms of SINAD. I’ve mostly convinced myself that The Element is good enough for my ears and my wallet is all the happier.

6 Likes

There are just so many ways of doing this. Thanks for all your reflections and inputs. So inspired!

2 Likes

A few different setups I currently use or have used in the past which I consider to be based around simplicity:

• (Trans)portable high-end: FiiO M11 Pro & Meze Empyrean
  • Simple desktop workhorse: JDS Labs The Element & Sennheiser HD 660S
  • Pocket-sized HiFi system: FiiO BTR5 & FiiO FH7
  • Max OTG convenience: Samsung Galaxy S10+ & Samsung Galaxy Buds+
3 Likes

Please learn from my mistake!

I decided to replace my 1st gen Element with an SDAC-B + THX 789 because I thought that would be the last word in fullsize source gear, and while I was able to identify differences between the Element and SDAC-B + 789, I subconsciously kinda went with “it measures better and I hear the difference so this is the better way”. I gave the Element away to a good friend, but upon hearing it with my Empyreans recently (which I bought after giving away the Element), I found it to sound more lively and enjoyable than the 789. I recall describing that as “fatiguing” with my HD 660S when I decided to say goodbye to the Element.

And to my knowledge, there is no close competition for the Element’s volume knob, aside from the Element II or EL Amp II.

If you want to upgrade your amp, a tube(-hybrid) amp makes more sense than an ultra-clean measuring solid-state amp. For reference, my Feliks Audio Euforia (0.4% THD) sounds more detailed and clear than my 789 (0.00001% THD). What gives. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Element is wonderful, and is absolutely no “entry-level” device.

7 Likes

The Element and Element II really are quite good for the money. I still have my E2 here and use it with my HD 6XX as my living room setup.

2 Likes

Is that THD a published spec from Feliks? If so that’s a pretty baller move and I respect it.

2 Likes

Looks like it is.

http://feliksaudio.pl/en/products.php

2 Likes

Has anyone done a comparison of the Element II vs the Asgard 3 with built-in DAC module? These seem to be at or near the top of the list for DAC/amp combos in the less than $500 price range, non-battery powered. I ultimately chose the iFi Nano Black Label for its battery, portability, and small form factor – and the NiBL is awesome. Proper footnote to @TylersEclectic for the NiBL naming/reference!

1 Like

Magnet upgraded HD650 for increased sensitivity and livelyness + Sony WM1A on low gain. Great transportable holliday system.

I have decided to do with my Chord Mojo and add a pair of Hifiman Sundaras for now. I can move around the house without too much of a hassle. After spending some time in the rabbit hole I was on the verge of buying the Anandas but having read the review and inputs by @Resolve it seems the new pads have contributed to close the gap even more between the two. And at their price it seems they are so hard to beat. I have sold my HD650s which was too mid-centered and dark to my taste. Actually the Tin T2’s made me realise that I prefer something more balanced with more extended treble, more soundstage and space/air.

Maybe you are familiar with the terms ‘satisficers’ and ‘maximizers’? If not here’s a fine introduction.

On a personal note I am really trying to avoid the rabbit hole and try to be more of a satisficer. But it’s so darn difficult! :slight_smile:

I can definitely relate to what the article says about being a maximizer:
Maximizers are prone to experiencing a sense of ‘buyer’s remorse’ following a decision, doubting whether it was correct, and envisaging how life would have been had they chosen a different path. Whether it’s a choice between universities or the purchase of a chocolate bar, maximizers are prone to the fear that a better choice was, or is, available.

10 Likes

I think the Mojo is a great choice for a do it all and walk around the house solution. There is the Hugo 2 but it’s 5-6x the price, although the cross feed feature is pretty nice. I’ve some Ananda’s which I got on sale, and they sound great to me with the Mojo.

1 Like

Very interesting article. I think some maximizers are also prone to being defensive about their choice. They might even convince themselves it is the best choice for everyone else too.

7 Likes

What works for me is cold-blooded “blind-ish” testing. I’ll use various setups and think one is an improvement, but then find it to be harsh and unpleasant on another day or when I’m fatigued. I’ve inadvertently praised the WRONG equipment in my mind, and that’s humbling. Oh, that was my cheap amp! Wow, it’s great!

There’s not much difference between many products on the market. Some cheap products outperform some expensive products and vice versa. However, the overlapping influence of brand name, price paid, looks, and perceived quality are genuinely difficult to split apart. Double blind testing is the only true test, and really hard to execute with something as personal as headphones or IEMs.

Another thing that works for me is having additional hobbies (aka “four small rabbit holes instead of one big rabbit hole”).

6 Likes

Oh no! This is a terrible idea for me! It’s just a good excuse for having four big rabbit holes eventually.

Oh who am I kidding? I already have four big rabbit holes. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Blind-ish and a variety of hobbies – creed.

1 Like

Great choices.

This was a good read, thanks for the link. It was probably written by a satisficer. I kid. The maximizer category does have its cons, and the satisficer category does offer some value (pun not intended). I believe one may apply tenets of each category depending on the context: business, professional, personal, entertainment, hobby.

Happy listening/reading/deciding.

2 Likes

A really simple setup think would be

Modi 3 Multibit -> Vali 2 -> HD6XX

I think this setup would be really good for a “budget” price. Not only is there great synergy but someone would be able to get the taste of multibit, tubes, and have the HD 6XX which would scale really nicely with nicer gear one acquires in the future.

2 Likes

Nice and I agree - curated by a professional.

2 Likes

I’ve been spending some time with iFi Zen Dac and using the iPower 5V and the 4.4mm BAL out with my HD 600 I’m really impressed! The real test will be if it’ll run 24/192 and Amazon Music on my Laptop driver-less!!! If so it’ll likely be my new AIO for when I’m working on my Laptop outside of my home

An actually I need to do some Instagram & Facebook posting on my Tablet… and I’m honestly excited to be able to hook ZEN Dac right up to it and finally be able to listen to some music while I type out all those darn hashtags and posts lol!!!

2 Likes