The Objective, Subjective & Dejected Thread

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always thought of scientific knowledge as the best explanation we have at the moment that explains at least some of what we observe. To that end, I find it better than any of the alternatives and am happy when new theories with better explanatory power replace the old ones.

6 Likes

Just not a fan of ASR, seems to biasedā€¦also has what appears to be a ā€œGodā€ complex when it comes to his measurements and opinionā€¦ Just my take on it thoughā€¦

1 Like

Pure truth this. The hardest thing to get thru to people, especially some scientists, is that science must always question itā€™s own observations & assumptions. If those prove to be wrong it must discard them no matter how ā€œcherishedā€ they are.

People arenā€™t really good at this.

Mark Gosdin

7 Likes

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh! Visit any gathering of university professors and the egos are so large that only one or two heads fit in a room comfortably. Imagine mostly non-athletic bodies with heads the size of an elephant. ā€œI am a WORLD expert on pwierionasnvxcvklsdpiatadsst! Iā€™m the ONLY CREDIBLE expert on pwierionasnvxcvklsdpiatadsst! Read my book! READ MY BOOK!ā€

Amir is utterly and completely the same, but puts this attitude in writing. Itā€™s way too blunt for high-brow journals and publications, as the right tone preserves an illusion of objectivity and keeps the grant money flowing.

And this is why I referred to him as a ā€˜hobbyistā€™ (@bidn) ā€“ he simply doesnā€™t present a professional social face.

3 Likes

Yup, been there done thatā€¦it isnā€™t limited to scientific types, plenty of normies, or supposedly experts in their fieldsā€¦it always rubs me wrongā€¦

3 Likes

On why freq. resp. doesnā€™t matter, or Beyerdynamic responses etcā€¦

My general impression of the Beyers (T1, T90, T70p, DT1770, DT1350, T51p, DT770-32 and others) is they do have more crispiness to their sound than the average headphone in their price ranges, and some of those have a very strong output in the 12 to 15 khz range, if not above that. If thatā€™s part of their design and sales objectives, I think theyā€™re succeeding. Since the T1 and T5 dropped below $1000 USD, it looks like theyā€™re not going after the upper price market, unless I missed something. So more crispy sound might just be their niche.

3 Likes

I beg to differ. My Dad, now 91, long time department head at a major state university, usually came out of gathering/meetings muttering, ā€œnone of em could park a bicycle straightā€

He generally includes himself in that assessment.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s true too. Ego has nothing to do with realityā€¦

3 Likes

I was asked to be a guest lecturer at Univ of Washington this week. Canā€™t wait for my ego to skyrocket!! :slight_smile:

I donā€™t mind Amir except he does breed an army of objective zealots who forget to actually listen to music, it seems. Itā€™s annoying. Iā€™ve meet Amir several times now in person and correspond with him from time to time. Heā€™s a nice guy, very smart, and he has his mission ā€“ itā€™s different than mine but it is what it is. Iā€™m actually going to send him a care package of stuff I got for review to go do his wizardary on soon.

As always, I donā€™t know how people lump me in the online world, as I use measurements as a key part of my presentation to the world of what I subjectively think. I donā€™t know if people consider me an objectivist or not. I am definitely to some degree, but not enough to sway me to ignore what actually sounds good!

8 Likes

Thanks for being positive! Itā€™s easy to get totally wrong impressions of people when we only interact with them online.

4 Likes

@antdroid congrats on the UW gig! that is very cool! We should find time this week for lunch! Or maybe next week if we end up getting busy lol.

Regarding Amir and ASRā€¦ I have not met himā€¦ so I based my opinion of him based on reading his comments, this is not idealā€¦but there is something to be said about ones ā€œtrue/hiddenā€ personality coming out in written word or when posting onlineā€¦

For instance, pretty positive most people would not approach me on a dark street :wink: in person.

Books and covers, judgment and all that fun stuff lolā€¦ Now that being said, I reserve the right to walk back anything Iā€™ve said, as experience and interaction is the only way to truly determine something for oneself.

I try to live in the grey while also knowing there are black and white. I.E. as Bruce Lee said ā€œBe like water, my friendā€ :wink: one to live by right there. Water flows around, over, under things in its path, while also wearing down those that it canā€™t get around =) be fluid, adaptable, willing to change course(ideas/ideals etc).

Iā€™m happy to be proven wrong, as that means Iā€™m learning something new! learning and experiences are what make us who we are after allā€¦and no one is the end all be all to anythingā€¦ my late pops, always said ā€œthere will always be someone bigger, better, stronger, smarter than you waiting in the wings, so you have to be able to adapt and overcomeā€ he mostly used this in reference to sports or fighting and brain power.

As I get older, I get wiser, but that doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m smarter than someone younger than me or olderā€¦just means my experiences are mine and make me react the way I do to whatever stimuli I encounter =)

ehā€¦a little deep, but what-evs :wink: lol

3 Likes

Thatā€™s an interesting thought. Perhaps itā€™s self-serving as I myself manifest different personalities depending on where and what I post, but Iā€™ve always thought of people as having many sides to their personalities, some of which are more likable than others but all of which are truly a part of them.

2 Likes

I always placed you in the Slitheryn Positivist campā€¦either that or Ravenclaw Obstretricist, not sure which now that I think of it.

3 Likes

I think of you a someone who enjoys headphones and especially IEMs and has the same rare ability as Tyll to use both measurements and listening to paint a coherent picture of headphones. Oh also, you like things a bit on the brighter side than I do, something I only know because you do a bang up job of describing your preferences.

2 Likes

Iā€™m starting to feel like I hate treble now. Maybe itā€™s because Iā€™ve been comparing IEMs with others who are younger than me or are less sensitive to it. Or just gotten used to some headphones that are less treble rich

2 Likes

Itā€™s funny how preferences change. Iā€™ve sort of moved from liking things a bit darker to liking them a bit brighter, or at least well extended in the treble.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just getting back from vacation like you are. But Iā€™m probably down to meet up this week if things arenā€™t crazy when I get back into the office. Iā€™ll text you sometime early this week!

As far as objective vs subjective things, like @MCM mentioned in his awesome TOTL IEM review, the Z1R, VX, Solaris, and even the i4 all have very similar Frequency Response measurements, so similar that youā€™d guess they all sound the same. But they have very distinct differences that just canā€™t be measured:

The Z1R has bass definition and subbass rumble that is handedly better than the rest.
The VX and i4 are resolution monsters, with crazy speed.
The i4 has the biggest soundstage.
The Solaris is much thicker and warmer sounding than the others.

Itā€™s things like this where pure objectivism canā€™t be the end all for everything, because a single measurement or even a couple canā€™t attribute to everything.

6 Likes

I love measurements but also think that the only thing that the measurements tell us is exactly what is being measured. Take the NFL, for example. You get a bunch of player measurements from the NFL Combine that tell you who runs the 40 the fastest, who can jump the highest, or bench press the most, but ultimately, the measurements canā€™t tell you if someone is a good football player.

Headgear measurements are similar. I can study graphs or THD measurements or whatever but they canā€™t tell me if I like the headphone or gear. I can make a pretty good guess but canā€™t know until I actually hear it.

4 Likes

Great comparison, those measurements canā€™t tell you the heart/willpower of a player, or if they can take a hitā€¦

Similar to how everyone has different biology and who knows how a headphone or IEM will sound from one person to the nextā€¦measurements help maybe narrow it downā€¦but without hearing it yourself, you are ultimately doing yourself, a disservice.

4 Likes