The Ultra Cheap IEM Thread

Tangzu x Divinus Fudu Verse 1

TLDR version on YouTube: TDLR - Tangzu x Divinus Fudu Verse 1

The Tangzu x Divinus Fudu Verse 1 have been sent to me by Linsoul in exchange for the publication of my review. Linsoul have not requested anything and, as always, I will do my personal best to be as unbiased as humanly possible.

You can find a link to the Fudu Verse 1 via Linsoul by visiting the version of this review published on my blog (link at the end of this review).

As with all the links I publish, it is a non-affiliate link, meaning I do not receive anything in exchange for clicks or purchases via the link.

To avoid being repetetive in my reviews, you can find all the info about how I create the reviews, equipment used, how I receive the products and how to interpret my reviews by visiting: About my reviews

Intro

Tangzu x Divinus Fudu Verse 1
 that is certainly a long name! Tangzu seem to have a tradition of adding verses and chapters to their IEMs, so my guess is that there will be a follow up to these IEMs (which I am going to refer to as Fudu for brevity).

I originally reviewed Tangzu before they were actually Tangzu (they were called T-Force at the time) and I have to say that they have made some interesting sets. I felt that the Tangzu Wan’er were a great set of IEMs in the sub 20€ bracket, well, they still are, although there is a lot of competition in that price bracket.

The Fudu are in a slightly higher bracket, selling for around 80€ on Linsoul at the time of this review, and while this puts them outside my personal ultra budget limit of 50€, they are still not an expensive set of IEMs.

The Divinus part of the name comes from the collaboration with the brand (Divinus) who make ear tips. I have never tried, or heard of, Divinus tips (until now) but it seems that they are well known amongst other IEM users.

So, let’s take a look at this latest release from Tangzu and see what we get from the brand that has given me positive vibes in the past.

Presentation

Tangzu is pretty generous with the contents of (most of) their models, with packaging that usually focuses on traditional Chinese decor. In this case, we still get a hint of that Chinese traditionality on the box but much more subdued than their usual packaging.

A rather large black box is covered with a black sleeve showing greyscale clouds and birds in the background and white model name and branding on the front. This simple presentation does give the packaging a bit more of a more elegant look (in my opinion) than many other presentations from the brand.

Opening up the box, we find the IEMs in a cardboard and foam cutout in the center, with 3 sets of Tang Sancai tips and 3 sets of Divinus tips to the left. On the right we get a (faux) leather case with zipper closure that reminds me more of my grandmothers coin purse than an actual IEM case. Inside the case (purse?) we find the cable which, in my case, is terminated with a 4.4mm balanced connector, although 3.5mm unbalanced is also available.

The presentation in general is not remarkable but is good, with a selection of contents that may not be the most vast at the price point but does seem to be of quality.

Build and aesthetics

The IEM shells are 3D printed resin with a very dark tint, allowing just a hint of the internals to be seen. On the front of the shell they feature a metal faceplate that shows Tangzu on the right earpiece with Divinus on the left.

The IEMs are small and light, using a pretty generic shape, which should work for the majority of people out there. Personally I have not experienced any discomfort. The faceplate has sloped surroundings that aim to a triangle in the center (where the branding is shown in white). I can’t say that they are going to win any prizes for their beauty but they are not overly dreary, just a little simple.

The included cable works fine but does have a bit of a cheap feel to it. It is also a little bit “springy”, although this may reduce over time with use. As I have been using them at my desk, the cable hasn’t really moved a lot, so it still has that new springyness to it.

The included Sancai tips are tips that I received with a previous set and find quite nice. They have a textured finish to them and, while they are not my number one prefence, I have found that they work well with some IEMs that I find overly bassy. The Divinus tips have been a pleasant surprise and I feel that they work well with the Fudu (I haven’t tried them on other IEMs yet), improving the sound at both ends of the spectrum (to my ears).

Sound

All tracks mentioned are clickable links that allow you to open the reference track in the streaming service of your choice (YouTube, Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, etc.)

There is a noticeable difference between the 2 kinds of included tips, with the Divinus moving a bit of the low end presence towards the subbass region instead of the midbass (although midbass is still very present) and seemingly giving things a bit more sparkle in the upper ranges. These have been my preferred choice for the Fudu.

My measurements, as always, are taken with foam tips to keep consistency between models, so the frequency response will not match exactly with the included choice of tips but is still pretty close:

Starting off with the low end, here I found the tips to play quite a large role in the presentation. Well, tips always play a big role, but in the case of the Sancai vers the Divinus, I found that the latter placed a little more emphasis on the subbass ranges, making the midbass area seem a little less prominent, whereas the Sancai took a little away from the subbass, making the midbass be more of the center of attention in these low ranges.

Using my typical “Chameleon” as a test track, there is enough subbass with both of the tip choices, yet, as the Divinus move the attention a little further down, it doesn’t seem to be as overpowering as with the Sancai tips. Overpowering is maybe the wrong term, as it is not like these IEMs are bass monsters, but as someone who prefers a less boosted midbass range, I found the Divinus to work better in this regard.

The same goes for more electronic focused tracks, with things like “No Sanctuary Here” being more to my preference with the Divinus tips.

In general the bass range is rather smooth and relaxed rather than fast and detailed, something that holds true for the rest of the frequency ranges also, with these IEMs giving a more relaxed and rounded presentation in general.

I don’t find the midbass to be overly boomy but it is still a little north of my preferences on tracks like “Crazy” by Daniella Andrade. The bass region of the guitar is pretty smooth and while I would like a little more detail on other tracks, for this kind of music it is not something that stands out.

The midrange is pretty decent until we start to get into the higher end of it. There is a climb in the upper midrange frequencies that serves to bring the presence a little forwards, however, at the 2kHz mark it stops climbing, even rolling off a little, until suddenly we have a peak around the 4kHz mark.

The issue with this is that it brings vocals forwards so they are not lost (counteracting that additional midbass), however, that isolated peak at the 4kHz mark, followed by another prominent dip, makes vocals sound fragile to my ears. I found this to be the case both with male vocals, such as John Mayer in “Free Fallin’”, and female vocals, such as Daniela Andrade in the song “Crazy” that I already mentioned. In fact, on “Billie Jean” by The Civil Wars, both vocals (male and female) sound a little thin and fragile, even impacting the higher ranges of the acoustic guitar.

As we move into the higher frequencies, this is another point where the tips are most noticeable in their changes. Here I once again preferred the Divinus with the Fudu, as they make things sound a little airier and spacious in these ranges. With the Sancai tips I would say that the upper ranges are a little too rolled off for my tastes, yet with the Divinus I feel that they are much better balanced.

Sound stage is also improved with the Divinus, becoming quite decent for a set of IEMs. It is not a huge difference from the Sancai but it is noticeable and I would say that they are on the higher end of average with these tips.

One thing that is noticeable throughout the whole spectrum is that detail is not the forte of the Fudu. They have used that 4kHz peak to make things a bit clearer and also the Divinus tips help by making the upper ranges seem more alive, however, this just adds a false sensation of detail.

Conclusion

I can’t say that there are any glaring issues with the Tangzu x Divinus Fudu Verse 1 (I’m glad I abbreviated it to Fudu throughout the review :wink: ) but I can’t say there is anything spectacular about them either.

They are a decent performing set of IEMs but, in my opinion, they have tried to make up for a lack of detail by using that 4kHz peak, along with a couple more peaks throughout the treble.

I really don’t think it was necessary for them to do this, as I don’t feel that all IEMs should be detail monsters. Sometimes we just want IEMs that are musical and provide us with enjoyment and I think the Fudu would be great for this if it wasn’t for things becoming “fragile” with that intent to seem more detailed.

Again, I can’t complain about them, I think they are a set of IEMs that can be very enjoyable with just a little tweaking of EQ (or maybe some kind of filter in the nozzle to tame that peak) but I also can’t say that they are amazing.

As always, this review is also available in Spanish, both on my blog (www.achoreviews.com) and on YouTube (www.youtube.com/achoreviews)

All FR measurements of IEMs can be viewed and compared on achoreviews.squig.link

All isolation measurements of IEMs can be found on achoreviews.squig.link/isolation

5 Likes

Tin Hifi C0 Elf

TLDR version on YouTube: TDLR - Tin Hifi C0 ELF

The Tin Hifi C0 Elf have been sent to me by Linsoul in exchange for the publication of this review. Linsoul have not made any requests or comments and, as always, I will do my best to be as unbiased as humanly possible.

You can find the C0 via Linsoul by visiting the version of this review published on my blog (link at the end of this post).

As always, this is a non-affiliate link, meaning I receive nothing in exchange for clicks or purchases.

Intro

Tin Hifi have been around for quite some time in the IEM world, making some very good, and some not so good, sets. A lot of their models have been based on variations of the original T2 shape and the C0 that I have here today are another similar design but with some changes that I will mention.

They have also released quite a few ultra budget oriented IEMs, with the C0 also being well inside that sub 50€ bracket that I consider ultra budget. At the time of publishing this review, the standard model is available on Linsoul for just over 10€, although there is also a model with a microphone and even one with a USB-C connector and built in DAC for not much more.

The IEMs feature a 10mm driver in an open back shell, which is nothing really new for this style of IEMs from Tin, although these feature an open back shell which is a little different to the usual configuration we find from the company.

Presentation

When a set of IEMs retails for around 10€, something has to be reduced to keep costs down and I always prefer that it is the packaging and presentation.

A simple white box with the make and model on the top, along with some specs on the side is the extent of the external packaging, but it is more than sufficient.

Inside we get the IEMs in a piece of sponge, along with the cable, two rubber earhooks and 6 sets of silicone tips. Again, more than sufficient for the price we are looking at for these IEMs.

Build and aesthetics

At a simple glance, the C0 are very reminiscent of the T2 (and other similar models), however, once we look a little closer, things are quite different. The shells are still completely made of aluminium, yet the size is a little larger and rather than the extra shape on the side for the cable connection, here the cables connect directly to the cylindrical shape of the shell.

This time, Tin have opted for a two pin connection for the cables, which is a good thing as I have had quite a few issues with their MMCX connectors in the past. The IEMs are also open back, with a larger version of the same metal filter in the nozzle on the back of the shells.

As far as comfort, I am not quite sure why but there is a bulkiness to these IEMs that makes them sit strangely in my ear, always feeling like they are not quite seated or sealed properly (to which the tuning doesn’t help either, but I will get to that in a moment). I tried all of the included tips and quite a few others and at no point did I get comfortable with these IEMs. Of course, everyone’s ear anatomy is different but in my personal case, they just don’t seem to fit right.

The included cable is simple vinyl covered cable, with metal two pin connectors and plastic for the rest of the hardware, which doesn’t look too bad but it is a bit microphonic. It’s not terrible but it is noticeable.

Sound

When I first started listening to the C0, I found that there was quite a lack of bass which, added to the sensation of the IEMs not seating correctly, made me think that I was not getting a seal. I started to work my way through all of the tips without anything seeming to make it better. I then moved on to other tips and while some of the extra narrow bore tips did improve bass slightly, the sensation of them not being sealed correctly. (edit: see note at end of review)

I spent a few hours messing around with them and in the end I gave up and looked at the frequency response:

Looking at the graph, I then realized that I wasn’t going crazy, there really is a lack of bass and an emphasis on the higher ranges. However, not to the point that I am hearing in reality. Remember that the graph above is in comparison to my personal preference target and I am someone who favours bass on the leaner side. If we were to compare this to the the preference target of somebody who is more bass happy than me, such as HBB, this would be the result:

Usually I would spend at least 5 days listening to a set of IEMs before I sit down and start doing more detailed listening, with my usual test list. In this case, I am sorry to say that I didn’t make it that far. I did spend a few more hours with them and just couldn’t enjoy them. Even while working (which is how I do my usual 5 days of working), the music kept drawing my attention to it as it was
 annoying?

Now, I don’t know if this is an issue with the set I have or if this is the intended tuning of these IEMs, as I haven’t checked any other reviews or measurements, but the set I have is not an enjoyable set of IEMs for me personally.

I did do some tests with a few of my usual test tracks but I honestly didn’t see the need to continue nor do I see the need to get too deep into how these interact with specific tracks. In general, they are lacking subbass, short on midbass, then over emphasized in the upper mids, moving into a peaky treble.

Yes, there is more of a sensation of openness to them, both due the fact that they are open back and that they emphasize the upper ranges, but making the sound wider doesn’t make this particular tuning sound any better to me.

Conclusion

I am going to cut this review short as I don’t want to spend too long explaining faults when I have other things I would prefer to listen to and review.

Yes, the C0 Elf are a very cheap set of IEMs with a good build quality. Unfortunately that is the end of the positive side for me. The cable is microphonic, the IEMs are uncomfortable and the tuning is something that I do not enjoy. I would say that they are a cheap set of IEMs that sound cheap but that would be unfair, as there are cheap IEMs that sound pretty good, including some from Tin’s own brand.

Edit: After putting together the above review, I discussed the C0 Elf with another reviewer. We compared measurements and the units do measure the same (close enough to account for differences in rigs and measuring techniques), so we are looking at the same tuning.

He mentioned that he also had a lot of fit issues but with certain tips he managed to get them to actually have more bass presence and less focus on the upper ranges.

I tried another few tips but I’m afraid that I just cannot get them improve in my ears. So, I am saying this to point out that my review of these IEMs could be totally due to me not managing to get a decent seal (which is what it feels like). This would actually make sense as the measurement of these IEMs is very close to the Titan S, which are a set of IEMs that I use regularly and really enjoy.

This is not going to change my opinion or review of the C0 as I have shared what is my experience with them but I do want to point it out as your experience, depending on your ear anatomy, may be totally different with these IEMs.

This review (and all my reviews) can also be found in Spanish both on my blog (www.achoreviews.com) and on YouTube (www.youtube.com/achoreviews)

All FR measurements of IEMs can be viewed and compared on achoreviews.squig.link

All isolation measurements of IEMs can be found on achoreviews.squig.link/isolation

5 Likes

7Hz Sonus

TLDR version on YouTube: TDLR - 7Hz Sonus

The 7Hz Sonus have been sent to me by Linsoul in exchange for the publication of this review. Linsoul, as always, have not made any requests or comments and I aim to do my best to be as unbiased as humanly possible.

You can find a direct link to the 7Hz Sonus via Linsoul in the version of this review published on my blog (link at the end of this post). As always, the link is non-affiliate.

To avoid being repetetive in my reviews, you can find all the info about how I create the reviews, equipment used, how I receive the products and how to interpret my reviews by visiting: About my reviews

Intro

For those that follow my reviews, you may remember that, when I reviewed the 7Hz Legato I said “With 7Hz I have found that I don’t have a middle ground with them, out of 5 sets I have tried, 3 I have found to be very good and the other 2, well, let’s just say that they are not my thing.”

Well, the Sonus are set number six and have equaled the score board.

(EDIT: After a few people have notified me of my error, I have reached the conclusion that my maths leave a lot to be desired in this review. More info at the end of the review)

Using a hybrid design of a single dynamic driver paired with a single balanced armature driver, I find them to be very coherent and well balanced, making for a very enjoyable listen.

Coming in at just under 50€, placing them inside what I consider to be ultra budget sets, that makes them even more interesting.

So, here are my findings and opinions on the 7Hz Sonus.

Presentation

The presentation from 7Hz is usually pretty decent for whatever price bracket the specific model sits in and the Sonus are no exception. While there is nothing exactly spectacular about the unboxing experience of the Sonus, they do arrive in packaging that is not just thrown together and include the necessary accessories that we have come to expect at this price point.

An orange box, inside a grey and white cardboard sleeve with images and specs, opens to reveal a clear plastic semi-rigid frosted cover. The cover lifts to reveal the IEMs in their corresponding cutouts, cable attached, with the accessories placed underneath.

As far as contents we obviously get the IEMs and cable, along with a simple but elegant storage/transport pouch, 8 sets of the multicolour coded tips we are accustomed to from 7Hz, and 2 sets of spare filters, both mesh and metal.

Again, I have to say that, while nothing is amazing and game changing, I can find no reason to complain about the presentation or accessories included with the Sonus.

Build and aesthetics

One thing that 7Hz has a habit of doing is making their IEMs aesthetically different. Even the ones like these, which opt for a more generic shape in comparison to some of their other models, still have their own look to them.

The transparent (medical grade) resin shell is paired with an aluminium faceplate which has a curved, stepped, design to it. The 7Hz logo is engraved on the metal face plate and, while it is not exactly “out of this world” as far as aesthetics, it does look good and has an elegant vibe to it.

The IEMs are comfortable, lightweight and seem to be well built. I have had no issues with them as far as comfort, choosing to use the tips with the white core for this review.

The included cable is a four core in a ribbon style layout. This is not the first time I have received a cable like this with IEMs and, as with the previous cables of this style, I actually am quite fond of it. While it does look like it may be bulky and uncomfortable to use, I find it is actually the opposite, at least when using the IEMs while sitting at my desk.

For sub 50€, the aesthetics, build and accessories are all more than adequate.

Sound

All tracks mentioned are clickable links that allow you to open the reference track in the streaming service of your choice (YouTube, Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, etc.)

The last couple of sets of IEMs that I have reviewed were not exactly enjoyable but sitting down to listen to the Sonus, I have to say that I like them. No, they are not something that provide never before heard music, yet they perform very well within their safe but (to me) enjoyable tuning.

Here is the graph of the Sonus in relation to my personal preference target:

While the subbass may seem a little more elevated than my personal preferences, the slope of the subbass into the midbass makes for a tuning that I am very fond of. Listening to “Chameleon” there is no shortage of subbass, yet that ramp down into the midbass stops things from becoming overpowering.

Subbass is also clean and fairly fast in its resolution. Things don’t become too “sludgy” in those areas, with things like that slight dirt in “Royals” being apparent without taking over.

Midbass is by no means overpowering, with my usual test of “Crazy” being rather clean whilst not missing any body to the low end of the guitar. I wouldn’t say that the dynamic driver is the best performing driver I have heard in the these low ranges yet the tuning favours it, due to no sense of muddyness or boominess, so details are appreciated.

The midrange starts to climb quite early, peaking around 2kHz and then dipiping slightly up to the 4kHz mark. This, in addition to a quite tame midbass range, can make certain vocals seem to have less body than on other options, such as Rag’n’Bone man in “Human (acoustic)”.

Listening to “Billie Jean” by The Civil Wars, I find the female vocals to suffer less from this than the male vocals. The male vocals are still quite pleasant but I feel that either a slight touch of warmth in the lower ranges or less of a dip in the 2k to 4k mark would have have worked better in favour of both the male vocals and the strikes on the strings of the guitar in this track.

The BA used for these upper ranges is fairly detailed and, with the help of the tuning, does keep layers well separated and details quite present, such as the vocal layers of “Strange Fruit” or the (accidental?) bird chirp during the intro. Again, a slight bit of extra body to the voice of Dominique Fills-AimĂ© would have been nice but I still enjoy the presentation.

Things that do have a bit more of musical presence with the vocals, such as “No Ordinary Love”, don’t emphasize this as much, keeping a nice clean presentation throughout.

As we move into the higher ranges, there is no real roll off, at least as far as my personaly auditory capacities go. It is not the smoothest of treble areas but it is not terrible either. Sibilande is kept in check pretty well on “Code Cool”, maybe placing Patricia Barber around a +1 (on my -12 to +12 scale), which is nice when taking into consideration the general tuning. It also portrays a nice sensation of air and openness.

Sound stage is also pretty decent, not huge but enough to enjoy a sensation of width, with details assisting in the placement of images, which may not be milimetric but are still fairly good.

Conclusion

Whether or not the Sonus is for you is going to heavily depend on your preferences as far as tuning. This is obviously always something that comes into play, but what I am referring to is that, if you are someone who likes a nice clean presentation, without any midbass boost and leaning more towards the cooler side of things, then I think they are a great set of IEMs that should definitely be considered in their price range.

If you are more on the warmer side of things in your preferences, with more of a bass boost and more body in the lower end, then I think that other sets will meet your criteria much better.

I would look at the Sonus as a bit of step up in performance from 7Hz’s own Salnotes Zero, where the tuning is similar but the detail and openness is improved. To be honest, I do think I prefer the 2kHz to 5kHz tuning on the Zero, seemingly a little smoother to my ears, but for the rest, I think the Sonus could be considered an upgrade without taking too much of a step up in price.

As I said at the beginning, I have reviewed 6 sets of 7Hz IEMs and the score is now level at 3 I like versus 3 that aren’t for me.

(EDIT: As I mentioned above, my maths in this review are terrible!

In reality, the Sonus so not equal the scoreboard, they actually put it 4-2 in favour of the models that I do like!

The 7Hz models that I have reviewed and if I like them or not:

Timeless =Yes

Eternal = No

Dioko =Yes

Zero =Yes

Legato = No

Sonus =Yes

My apologies for the confusion!!)

This review (and all my reviews) can also be found in Spanish both on my blog (www.achoreviews.com) and on YouTube (www.youtube.com/achoreviews)

5 Likes

So, @SenyorC, are you damning these with faint praise? Your writing is more reserved than usual, and you don’t say anything actually bad about these. But if they even you score, then they show as not your thing.

Can you put your finger on the irritation? Thinness? Shouty? Just underwhelming?

If you were going to order some IEMs as stocking stuffers this year, which would you get for the 16 and under set? Or would it be something else entirely? I snapped up some Truthear Crinnacle Zero Reds, but only two boxes - one to test and one to hand out. And I haven’t listened yet.

1 Like

Lol, I have had a few messages about this

The reality is that my maths just suck in this review :smile:

I have edited the review to mention this but I do like the Sonus. It’s not the best IEM ever but I like it!

Regarding stocking stuffers, I am not sure what your limit is price wise but as you mention the RED, I am guessing around 50 $/€.

In that category, the RED are still my personal favourite, maybe even up to the 100€ mark, but that doesn’t mean they are for everybody.

Other alternatives that I like are the Kiwi Ears Cadenza, the Tangzu Wan’er and the Salnotes Zero. Maybe the Cadenza if you want a bit more bass and Zero if you want more neutral. If you want something a little more focus on the midbass, the Blon Z300 is another option.

Finally, if they are young and can’t understand why anyone would ever use cables, the Moondrop Space Travel are a fun set of TWS for 25€. No LDAC or anything like that and the app is crappy but you can choose various sound profiles in it and they will store on the IEMs, so you only really need to use it once.

6 Likes

While this model may be just outside the ultra cheap realm, it is only just and it is still on the lower end of the planar IEM price range, so I am going to leave it here

Kefine Klanar

TLDR version on YouTube: TDLR - Kefine Klanar

The Kefine Klanar have been sent to me directly by Kefine in exchange for the publication of this review. As always, I will make every attempt to be as unbiased as humanly possible. Kefine have not made any requests or comments and all opinions are my own.

I cannot find an official page for Kefine but the Klanar are available through all of the usual stores that sell IEMs online.

Intro

Kefine is a new brand and the Klanar are their first set of IEMs. As an entry into the IEM world, they have opted to go with a 14.5mm planar driver and are priced at a little over the 100€ mark.

I can’t really give you a back story on them as I don’t know it but when they reached out to me, I was happy to give them a listen.

It’s true that they have picked a segment, the planar magnetic IEM segment, that is quite crowded at the moment, yet the price is an interesting one, coming in at the lower end of the current planar options, so let’s see how they did.

Presentation

The box is a plain black one, with a lift off lid, that arrives inside a white cardboard sleeve. The front shows an image of the IEMs, along with the brand, model and “Planar IEM” on the front. On the back we get the basic specs, along with another image of the IEMs, and that is about it. The outer packaging doesn’t do much to stand out, but that is not a complaint as I don’t listen to the packaging. I would rather packaging be basic and the contents get the attention.

Inside the box we find that the packaging stays simple, with just a piece of foam with two cutouts for the IEMs and a larger one for the storage/transport case. The case is a simple grey semi rigid type with Kefine on the top and contains the additional silicone tips. In total there are 7 sets of tips included, with 3 different sizes and two core sizes, that are nothing special but do the job and are what I have used for this review.

Build and aesthetics

The IEMs are almost as simple as the packaging, using a generic shape with Kefine written in white text and a white circle on a black faceplate and shell.

By simple I am not being negative here at all. No, they are not something that is going to jump out and grab your attention, which is often a very good thing, but they use a metal faceplate on a dark plastic shell that does not look out of place and honestly look to be well built (although only time will tell).

Due to the simple, generic shape of the shells, they should be comfortable for the vast majority of users and I am no exception here. For long listening periods I did not find them to create any discomfort at all.

The included cable is a four core brown and black weave, with a metal 3.5mm connector and splitter, along with plastic two pin connectors at the IEM end. As with the whole package so far, nothing is special but nothing is offensive, I can’t see the aesthetics being a negative at all.

Sound

Ok, so far we have a very generic set of IEMs and when we get to the sound, we could expect the same, seeing that the driver used in these IEMs is one that we have seen in many other models so far. The majority of those other models have been on the better side of things, although there have been a few that were let down by the tuning. In the case of the Klanar, I must say that I feel they have done a good job.

Here is the graph of the Klanar in comparison to my usual personal preference target:

It’s been a while since I said it, so I will remind people that my target is not a “be all end all” as far as tuning. While that reference is a good guide to my personal preferences as far as tuning, it doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy other sound signatures that deviate from it (or that I always enjoy those that are close to it).

Now, let’s do my usual round up referring to my test tracks that I always use for detailed listening and review references.

Starting off with the subbass, there is plenty of presence in these areas with the Klanar. “Chameleon” has a lot of rumble in those low ranges, which is made even more present by the boosted midbass range that follows it.

To be honest, it is a little too much for my own tastes, making things a little overpowering for me in those lower notes, however, for those that do like plenty of low end, there is no denying that it does it well.

Let’s face it, “Chameleon” is a track that is exaggerated in the lower ranges (being one of the reasons that I use it for testing), so moving on to something that is more focused in the midbass than the subbass, such as “Sun Is Shining”, that exaggerated low end cleans up quite a bit. There is still plenty of midbass for those who want it but we are no longer surrounded by a wall of rumble.

Here the midbass does seem more controlled and refined, with a decent overall performance even if a little elevated for my tastes.

If we focus on my usual midbass fatigue test track, which is “Crazy” by Daniella Andrade, I do not find the midbass tiring. This is always a good sign to me as, when midbass is overly present and not well controlled, I will quickly feel nauseous and even get a headache before the end of the track. Again, it is noticeable that the presence is above what would be my preference for this track but the quality is there to keep it from being a negative.

As we move into the mid range, here there is a noticeable lack of presence. This can make male vocals lack presence in their midrange, sort of hiding them behind the bass. With female vocals backed with acoustic music, such as Daniella Andrade in the track I just mentioned, or Sara K. in “All You Love Turned To Passion”, this is not as noticeable. There is plenty of presence in the upper mids to bring clarity to them even if there is a bit of mid presence lacking.

This lack of mids stands out more when we have more complex tracks, especially with male vocals, such as “Get Lucky” or something more rock like Rage Against The Machine in “Killing In The Name Of”, where Zac is slightly overshadowed by those thunderous bass and guitar notes.

One thing I will say is that Kefine have done a very good job elevating those upper mids to bring clarity and counteract the bass presence, without making the IEMs shouty or thin. Looking at the graph I would have expected things to be very shouty but it is not the case.

As we move into the upper treble, there is a bit of roll off which is noticeable but does not sound bad. It just adds to that V shaped signature that the Klanar are aiming for.

Details are as good as on many other sets that use this same planar driver, with the lower ranges being very well presented as far as details go, unless we have the wall of rumble that is “Chameleon” of course :wink:

Sound stage I would say is about average for a set of IEMs, which is not bad for something that has this amount of bass presence. The bass can fill the sound stage quite nicely and while things are not milimetrically placed, that extra clarity of the upper mids does allow a nice stereo separation.

Conclusion

I think that the Klanar are a very respectable first entry for a new company. They have kept things very simple with the design and presentation, chosen a sound signature that should appeal to the masses and spent their resources on getting that part, the most important part, right.

They are not my favourite sound signature but they are a very enjoyable presentation that I have had no issue listening to over the past week. Again, I feel that the tuning they have decided to go with is something that is not going to stand them apart from many other brands in the segment but they have made a good job of it.

When you are new, you can take the risk of doing something completely different and either make a huge impact or fail miserably and make your first impression a bad one, which is something that will follow you for quite some time. In this case, Kefine have opted to do something simple and I think that they have set a good foundation to grow upon.

As with all my reviews, this one is also available in Spanish both on my blog (www.achoreviews.com) and on YouTube (www.youtube.com/achoreviews)

7 Likes

Well I like the simple looks of them. Less can be more. Too bad I’m not at all in need of any more IEMs at the moment. Nice review.

4 Likes

I have been testing the new KZ PR3. Here is my impression of it:

KZ PR3
I was contacted by Kate, the social media representative from KZ and invited to test the new PR3 Planar IEMs.

KZ has embraced the recent trend for Planar drivers with its PR1 and PR1 Pro models and the HBB PR2 collaboration. The new PR3 features an upgraded 13.2 mm Planar unit with a “Nano-level” silver plated membrane and electronic filter tuning. The frequency response is quoted as 20Hz - 40KHz with a sensitivity of 98 dB and an impedance of 15 Ohms. It retails for around £40.

Product link:

The PR3 comes in the standard KZ packaging, a compact white rectangular box. The front of the box bears an image of the IEMs and the rear features the specifications. Removing the slip cover reveals a white plastic tray with the IEMs inside, below which is a white card flap under which the accessories are stored. The contents comprise:

● PR3 IEMs
● 2-pin silver-plated copper cable
● Three pairs “Starline” silicone ear tips
● One pair foam ear tips (pre-fitted)
● 2-pin silver-plated copper cable
● Documentation

The PR3 is a semi-open design with a clear resin body. The gunmetal coloured alloy faceplate has a grille of diagonal parallel strips, three gold hex bolts and the words “Planar Technology” written around the border in a white sans serif font. There is a grille and mesh on the side of the earpieces and a pinhole vent in the centre of the underside. The raised 2-pin socket is also coloured gold and there is a white filter over the nozzle. The overall shape of the earpieces is reminiscent of earlier KZ designs such as the ZS10 Pro X and ZAX and the build quality is very good, as it was with other recent acquisitions, the Krila, AS16 Pro and Castor.

The cable is a silver plated OFC type with a 2-pin 0.75mm connector and a gold plated 90° angled 3.5mm plug. The sheath is transparent, revealing the wire within. The cable is not as prone to tangling as previous KZ designs but there is still no chin slider.

The PR3 was tested with Xduoo X20 and Hidizs AP80 Pro X DAPs. A smartphone, via an Aiderlot DC02 USB-C dongle, and a digital radio were also used. The IEMs were subjected to a burn-in period of 100 hours before evaluation. The stock cable and medium Starline tips were used which resulted in a comfortable fit and good isolation.

Sound Quality
Fed from the Xduoo X20 (which gave the most pleasing results), the PR3 displayed a well-balanced, neutral profile with a warm and natural bass, an expressive midrange possessing good timbre and a smooth, relaxed treble showing excellent detail and extension. The soundstage was spacious with good layering and separation which made it easy to follow individual strands in the music. The volume needed to be set somewhat higher than normal, which is often the case with planar drivers. The PR3 proved itself capable of revealing the different sounds of the various sources. The output from a smartphone worked best when augmented by a USB dongle, which provided the necessary power. Further improvements were gained from using a 2.5mm balanced cable which increased the power and expanded the staging.

Bass
The PR3’s bass produced a weighty sound which was a combination of the warmth and depth of a dynamic driver and the speed and resolution of a balanced armature. Timbre was natural and extension also very good. Sub bass rumbled healthily and transitioned smoothly into the midrange with no bleed.

“Mirage”, by Hennie Bekker, is an album of imaginative synthesiser pieces featuring attractive melodies and intricate rhythms. The title track begins with smooth synth patches and delicate percussive elements. Soon these are joined by a very deep and resonant bass which was nicely reproduced by the PR3 and produced a perfect foundation for the semi-melodic chord progressions and sparkling electronic effects. The whole piece gelled really well with everything in perfect balance.

Sir Alexander Gibson’s wonderful performance of Sibelius’s “The Swan of Tuonela” with the London Festival Orchestra received a full and atmospheric rendition from the PR3. At the beginning a solo cor anglais plays a meandering melody supported by hushed and mournful strings. Sustained menacing bass drums rolled threateningly in the background like distant thunder and these were captured effectively by the PR3, conveying the mystical message of the Finnish legend which inspired the piece.

Midrange
The PR3 possessed a smooth, open and expressive midrange typical of planar drivers. There was very little recession with vocals standing out from their accompaniment clearly and with lyrics easy to discern. Studio effects such as reverb and panning were particularly well-rendered and the timbre was natural and accurate, while the tonality was very even throughout.

“In the arms of Mary”, by Sutherland Brothers and Quiver showcased the excellent vocal capabilities of the PR3. Ian Sutherland’s soulful lead vocal was precisely delineated enabling the words to be clearly heard while the guitars, bass and drums all occupied their correct places in the stereo image. The lead guitar solo was crisp and incisive, cutting through the mix without affecting the overall balance of the production.

The piano is always a useful instrument for determining the midrange timbre of an IEM. “I Gott Bevar” from Benny Andersson’s solo album “Piano” demonstrated this perfectly. Set in a reverberant acoustic, Andersson’s Fazioli instrument sounded natural and clean and the gentle melody was nicely presented by the PR3 with a natural tonality. At the climax of the piece the melody line is supported by full arpeggios spanning the octaves and the PR3 handled this admirably with a perfect balance between the percussive and lyrical aspects. There was believable dynamic shading and the sustain and decay of the notes was reproduced accurately.

Treble
The PR3’s treble was clean, detailed and airy with no evidence of harshness or sibilance and very good extension. Disparate elements were well separated with an attractive sense of space and remained so even during more energetic passages. The level was in good balance with the midrange and bass. Occasionally in more dynamic pieces, there was a little congestion and a slight flattening of perspective.

“Equinoxe 5” by Jean-Michel Jarre features all the trademark elements of his music with a sequenced foundation, typical synth voices and complex rhythmic patterns. The high frequency sounds were beautifully precise on the PR3 with the stereo imaging particularly impressive. The movement across the stage was excitingly portrayed and the whole piece was presented in a lively and entertaining fashion.

“Music for Orchestra” by Geoffrey Bush is in the form of a “concerto for orchestra” with a cameo for each instrument featured in succession. In a superb Lyrita recording with the London Philharmonic Orchestra under Vernon Handley, the piece came to life dramatically in the hands of the PR3. The piano came through clearly above the accompaniment and percussion possessed good impact and clarity, imparting the whole piece with a “live” feel and demonstrating what a fantastic recording this is. The dynamic range here was especially notable and the ambience of the recording venue was convincingly realised.

Soundstage
The PR3’s soundstage was expansive and spacious. The width spread beyond the ears and there was a fine impression of depth with good height as well. Imaging was precise and movement within the image well handled. Layering was also of a high standard, with the positions of individual instruments and orchestral sections clearly differentiated.

“3 circles” is a track from Patrick O’Hearn’s album “Trust”. It begins with a heavy bass synthesiser occupying the centre of the stage with high frequency percussive effects placed in the extreme left and right. A smooth synth chord progression joins in and a sparkling rhythm sequence propels the piece along while the lead synth voice plays the theme. The PR3 managed to arrange all these elements into a coherent whole with plenty of space around them, creating a spacious and enveloping result while retaining rhythmic drive. This was very impressive.

“Mausoleum at Halicarnassus” is the fourth movement of the “Seven Wonders Suite” by Stuart Mitchell. The piece begins with an extended flute solo supported by a lush orchestral accompaniment. The solo instrument seemed to float above the strings and the triangle and harp accents were airy and well-defined. There was a real sense of distance in the performance by the Prague Symphony Orchestra under Mario Klemens with the timpani in the rear of the hall displaying a natural ambience and realistic decay.

Comparisons
As this is the first single driver planar IEM I have auditioned, I have selected three different types of IEMs for comparison.

TRI i3
The TRI i3 is a tribrid design with an 8mm dynamic driver for the bass, a 10mm planar unit for the midrange and a balanced armature for the high frequencies. It is housed in a shiny silver coloured solid alloy shell and has an MMCX interface. Although retailing for four timed the price of the PR3, it is included here because of the similarities in the midrange produced by the planar driver and the fact that both the i3 and PR3 need a healthy signal to give of their best.

The i3 has a big, bold cinematic sound with a huge soundstage, powerful sub bass and a well-extended top end. It sounds “bigger” and more refined than the PR3 and its staging and bass are addictive. In the midrange, however, the two sound very similar. The PR3 is slightly brighter and not as weighty in the bass. Its treble is a little thinner in tonality but it performs well at the price. Some may find the i3’s very large earpieces problematic whereas the PR3 is very light and comfortable.

KZ Castor (Harman Edition)
The Castor employs two dynamic drivers in a stacked configuration. Bass duties are handled by a 10mm unit dealing with the frequency range up to 200 Hz while the midrange and upper frequencies are covered by an 8mm driver. It is very well made with an alloy faceplate and resin body.

As befits the name, the profile follows the Harman curve, a generally V-shaped frequency response, but the midrange is only slightly recessed. The treble is brighter than neutral and sometimes becomes rather emphasised. The PR3 is much more neutral with a smoother treble but with no loss of detail. In fact it is more extended than the Castor. The Castor’s bass is stronger but a little more coloured, with a small amount of bass bleed. Midrange goes to the PR3 with superior timbre and layering. In soundstage, the PR3 is more defined than the Castor with better imaging, but the Castor is easier to drive with the PR3 needing substantially more power to shine.

KZ AS16 Pro
The AS16 Pro is an all-BA design with eight drivers per channel. There are two bass units, two midrange and four treble drivers. The shell is rather large but comfortable with the correct tips. It has a bright, detailed sound signature with excellent detail and speed. The bass is surprisingly powerful for a balanced armature IEM and there is very little evidence of “BA timbre” with a clean and precise delivery. It is brighter than the PR3 and is more immediate with a snappy transient response but can sound “clinical”. The PR3’s bass is warmer with more weight and a more natural decay, the midrange is more forgiving and the treble is smoother. The two IEMs have different personalities and are complementary in that respect. Preference is a matter of style and both are good examples of their kind, but the PR3 is more musical and the AS16 Pro more technical.

Conclusion
Possessing a neutral, well-balanced profile, the PR3 shows the advantages of planar technology. The full-range driver displays excellent coherence, fast transients and a wide frequency response with good extension at both ends of the spectrum. There is no bass bleed or mid-bass bloat (often found with dynamic drivers) and the sometimes artificial timbre of balanced armatures is totally absent. There was a good balance between technicalities and musical expression and the soundstage is exceptionally proficient.

It is solidly built and comfortable in use with good isolation. The packaging is rather basic and the cable could be improved (chin slider please, KZ) but these are minor issues. Overall the PR3 is an excellent IEM and an ideal way to sample the planar sound without breaking the bank!

3 Likes

EPZ Q5

TLDR version on YouTube: TDLR - EPZ Q5

The EPZ Q5 have been sent to me directly by EPZ for me to try them out and to share my opinions in this review. EPZ have made no requests and understand that I publish my honest opinions, good or bad, where I try to stay as unbiased as humanly possible.

The Q5 are available from the official EPZ store on Aliexpress, you can find a link to them by visiting the version of this review published on my blog (link at the end of this post).

As with all links I share, it is a non-affiliate link.

Intro

EPZ are a company that I really didn’t know anything about except for having seen a few images of the actual IEM I am reviewing today. I have not read any reviews of their products, nor seen any measurements, and when they reached out to me to offer to send a couple of models, saying that I had been recommended by a friend in Spain, I honestly didn’t know who they were.

I am always interested in trying out things I know nothing about, as long as it doesn’t involve any drama from the people who want to send it. This is something that happens more than you can guess, with people requesting all kinds of things that I just politely decline. I do this for fun and if I can’t review something on my own terms and be totally honest about it, well, there are plenty of other things out there to try out. I am not anyone special as a reviewer, I don’t have tens of thousands of followers, but the one thing I do have is a job that is nothing to do with my reviews (although it is audio related), so I don’t need to make any income from the reviews (in fact, I actually lose money) and I certainly don’t need any more stress than my real job brings me. So if I can’t have fun, then I’ll do something else.

But anyway, as always, I am rambling on about nothing of value to this review and the only reason I started on this tangent is because EPZ reached out to me and I knew nothing about them but as they were very easy going and just wanted me to check out their stuff, I was happy to do so.

The Q5 that I am reviewing today (yes, this is an actual review, not just me going on about irrelevant things) is available on their Aliexpress store for around 55€ at the time of putting this review together. Their listing says that it is a “10mm dual magnetic circuit dual cavity ceramic carbon nano piezoelectric horn”, it is actually a 10mm dynamic driver, so I am not sure where the piezoelectric horn comes into play. Other specs are listed as having a 109db sensitivity with a 26 Ohm impedance.

My search on Google didn’t actually bring back any stores that seem to carry the Q5 other than Aliexpress and Amazon Japan, although I may be missing something.

So, let’s take a look at this set of IEMs that falls outside the ultra-budget category of sub 50€, but only just.

Presentation

As always, I like to point out when something is different in the presentation side of things and the box of the Q5 is actually quite unique, at least in comparison to IEMs that I have received.

The outer cardboard sleeve is nothing unusual, although it does feature a largish design in bronze, with the model, make and information that EPZ started in 2019 (so they are not new). There is also a slogan that reads “Sound for the custom pleasure in it”, which is the usual case of something that is probably a very nice phrase in Chinese losing elegance once translated.

On the sides there are some basic specs and also a 5th anniversary logo, while on the back we get the graph and more detailed specs. All of these are in the same bronze colour.

Upon removing the outer sleeve is where things get interesting with the box. Rather than a lift off lid, or some kind of sliding system, the box actually hinges in the middle, with the two halves of the top dropping to the sides and the center popping up. This reveals the a small card cover that opens like the front of a booklet, which shows Q5 in the center and reads “Five years of prosperity and glory” underneath, again, all in the same bronze colour.

I find the way the box opens to be rather unique, although it doesn’t make it too easy to access the contents. The main part of the box reveals the IEMs in their foam cutouts, with a semirigid storage case beneath with the cable and 6 sets of tips. In the bottom of the box, an accessories box if included that contains the documentation, user manual and a microfiber cloth.

Build and aesthetics

The first time I came across a photo of these IEMs, they were the black version and it was in the Meze Advar thread on Head-Fi where somebody pointed out how blatantly similar to the Advar they are. There is no denying that the aesthetics are almost identical to those of the Advar, which means they are a very good looking set of IEMs.

The EPZ are well built, with a 3D printed resin shell that honestly looks like ceramic, with that same bronze look in the center circle. They even use the same text around that center circle in this case reading “EPZ Audio started in 2019”.

The version I received is the white one which I personally think looks even better than the black one, with bronze coloured hardware on the white cable that matches the IEMs.

Honestly, these IEMs look great, seem to be very well built and give an impression of being of a much higher price point than they actually are, it is such a shame that they decided to copy the Advar aesthetics as they seem to be capable of making high build quality. I know that they are certainly not the only company that does this but it doesn’t make it any better.

Sound

Getting past the negativity of the copying of the Advar in the aesthetics department, we can forget all references to the Romanian brand and judge the Q5 on their own merits. They are not similar in sound to the Meze in any way (or in price point), but that does not mean that are not a good set of IEMs for what they bring to the table at their price point.

As always, let’s start off with a look at the graph comparing them to my usual preference:

The subbass is present at a level that I find more than adequate, with a performance in the lower ranges that is very respectable for a set of IEMs at this price point. It may not be the most amazing subbass out there but it is difficult to really pick faults with it. “Chameleon” shows the lower notes to be fairly quick and controlled, with the low ranges not affecting the overall performance of the IEM.

The midbass is similar in its performance, with a clean response that has just enough body to give a little bit extra to the lower notes of the acoustic instruments that I enjoy. “Crazy” being my usual fatigue test for midbass does not come across as overly present and is well controlled, meaning that this frequency range does not become fatiguing for me.

The transition into the mids is clean, however, there is a slight lack of presence in mids that can leave certain vocals a little hollow, especially due to the response we get as we climb into the higher mids and lower treble.

The upper mids range is just a touch too high but it would not really be an issue is it wasn’t for the peak at 5kHz as we go above it.

Yes, my dreaded 5k peak! It has been a while since I listened to a set of IEMs with such an emphasis on 5kHz and I’m afraid I find it very uncomfortable. The higher notes of electric guitars, vocals and even percussion comes across as very harsh and it is something that I find I am allergic to. It really makes the Q5 a difficult listen for me.

Moving past the 5kHz mark, there is also quite a bit of presence in the upper treble, which does add air and brilliance to the sound but at the same time it sums up to the upper mids and 5k peak, putting a large emphasis on these ranges and making things come across as very bright.

While I wouldn’t say that the lower range is lacking, at least not for my preferences, it is not enough to counteract the upper ranges and these lead to a tuning that can make the result harsh and even quite thin.

Conclusion

I have said it in the past many times, I am someone who suffers a lot from 5kHz peaks and the Q5 puts a lot of emphasis on that exact frequency, maybe it could be called the Q5K :wink:

This means that I have a major issue in being able to enjoy these IEMs, which I feel is a shame, because I think they are a well built and good performing set of IEMs, even if I am not keen on what they have done with the aethetics (not because I don’t like them, I love them, just that they are not original).

I do have another set of EPZ IEMs that I haven’t listened to yet and I hope that the things that stop me from enjoying this set are resolved on that set, but I guess I will let you know when I find out.

As always, this review is also available in Spanish both on my blog (www.achoreviews.com) and on YouTube (www.youtube.com/achoreviews)

6 Likes

How does that work? Or are you trying to amortize the cost of testing equipment?

1 Like

When I receive stuff that is sent to me from outside of the EU, even if it is a demo or test unit, I have to pay import fees and taxes.

1 Like

Does that apply if the item is on loan and supposed to be returned, or only on items they don’t want back?

Is there a way to reverse the charges so the people that want the review pay them?

Yes, it also applies to loan units, tour units etc.

It is possible to import them as a company and then prove they have been exported out of the EU again and claim back the VAT (although not the other associated costs), but that would mean starting a business to do so and it is something I am not interested in doing.

Opening a business means needing to make profit to cover costs of running the business and I already have more than enough workload with my real job.

On items under 150€, the VAT can be paid at source but it is something that only a few suppliers do.

5 Likes

When I first started reviewing, I had a similar-ish problem. In Canada, DHL holds your package ransom if you don’t pay their little $20 processing fee. It’s not even duties and tax at customs but just DHL’s brokerage fee. So any time a company like Linsoul or HiFiGo sends me a product via DHL, I’d get dinged with a $20 charge I pay out of pocket. Thus whenever I could, I would try to ask them to send by slow mail or to bundle multiple items at once. Which wasn’t the best for the FOTM churn that ChiFi chases after. I kinda took it as the “cost of doing business” i.e. reviewing. This still happens actually but I’m doing significantly less ChiFi reviews now so I haven’t had to deal with it much lately. Plus, now that I work with Headphones.com, it does help me cover the cost of it.

I’m sure there’s a way for these companies to properly pay upfront the amount so I don’t get dinged or I could ask them to PayPal me back the DHL fee. I’ve done the latter a couple of times but it’s a bit of a hassle and when I first started reviewing, I didn’t want to cut off access to any items. Thankfully, that’s no longer really an issue.

5 Likes

There should be a USA style solution. Perhaps once you are established you could get competing manufacturers to pay you not to review a product. This certainly could get around the taxes and fees on physical goods, and you would have plenty of time to not review the full range of options no matter the rate of new model introductions.

5 Likes

The EU taxes mining, then taxes manufacturing, then Value Added, then shipping, then buyers, then all the government workers go on a paid vacation, then it taxes resale, and then it taxes disposal. Their model is precisely the opposite of Ultra Cheap. See the Concorde, Airbus A380, Chunnel, etc. Profit is not an option.

7 Likes

Then my solution is perfect. No work, no product, no shipping, no disposal. In addition to government workers (I used to be one) other indigents typically receive funds from the government.

2 Likes

I think this is Crinacle’s exit strategy. Maybe this is why he hasn’t been reviewing too many products these days and is focusing on his cool hangout coffee shop thing :laughing:

(for legal reasons this is a joke)

6 Likes

EPZ G10

TLDR version on YouTube: TDLR - EPZ G10

The EPZ G10 have been sent to me by EPZ for me to try them out and to share my impressions in this review. There have been no requests or comments by EPZ and I will do my usual best of being as unbiased as possible in my review.

The Q5 are available from the official EPZ store on Aliexpress, you can find a link to them by visiting the version of this review published on my blog (link at the end of this post).

As always, it is a non-affiliate link.

Intro

Recently I reviewed the EPZ Q5, another set of IEMs by the brand that were sent to me together with the ones I will be discussing today. While the Q5 comes in at just over 50€, the G10 is a cheaper option, costing around 32€ (at the time of this review) and placing itself firmly inside the sub 50€ ultra budget category.

This model also features a 10mm dynamic driver and has quite some similarities to the other model I reviewed in terms of sound, but we will get to that soon.

Presentation

The packaging is simpler than on the sister model, with flip top black box that shows a diagram of the IEMs, along with the make model and a couple of features in a reflective green. On the sides of the box, the model is shown as Symphony Dragon, at least I think that they are referring to the model, with more specs and the graph shown on the back.

Opening the box reveals the IEMs in a sponge surrounding, with the cables attached, and below this we get an accessories box. The included accessories are 3 sizes of regular silicone tips with bright green cores, along with 3 sizes of double flanged tips and a small drawstring bag for storage. A cable with an inline microphone, buttons and adapter (from 3.5 TRRS to 2x 3.5 TRS) is also included, something that you don’t see very often with IEMs lately.

One other thing included is a small UV flashlight, which will make more sense in a moment.

Build and aesthetics

My complaint with the Q5 was that they looked great and were built great but had copied the aesthetics of a different brand almost 100%. I said that is was a shame as they seemed capable of building good quality IEMs and I think that the G10 proves that point.

Although we get a much more universal shape with the G10, it is a very dark and opaque shell that features a dark faceplate with a gold G and EPZ on it. Under the dark translucent top layer of the faceplate, it seems to have what looks like greyish fibers making a pattern. This is where things get interesting.

I couldn’t really understand why they would include a small UV flashlight with the IEMs until I shined it on the faceplate. The fibers below then started to glow a very fluorescent green which suddenly made all the green hints around the box and tips make much more sense. The glow doesn’t last for too long, especially if you are not in a very dark area, but it is something that I find original and a cool little touch. I am not sure if this has been done before on IEMs, at least it hasn’t on the ones I have reviewed, and while it is a bit of a gimmick, it gives them their own aesthetic which is nice to see.

The included cable is a little strange as it is a thin silver cable, with the inline mic and controls, that ends in a 3.5mm TRRS. The strange thins is that they include an adapter cable in black, which, although very much on the cheap end of things (to be expected), actually matches the IEMs more than the IEM cable does.

The included flashlight is also a very cheap one (again, to be expected) but at least it does have a replaceable battery, so you can continue to recharge your IEMs for longer.

Sound

Ok, if we go back to the the Q5 review once more for just a moment, I said that the issue I had with them was that peak at 5k and the rather present upper ranges in general. This gave them a rather harsh sounding response to my ears (I am delicate with 5kHz) and I hoped that the other model, the G10 I am reviewing today, would be a different story.

Well, I am sorry to say that the sound signature of the G10 is basically the same. It is a little more subdued in the upper ranges, so I will explain a little more in detail, but here is the graph of the G10 in comparison to my usual personal preference and the Q5 for reference.

You can see that there really isn’t much difference between them on paper and when they are in the ear, my ears at least, there isn’t a huge difference either.

The subbass is still adequate for my tastes and there is enough midbass to give acoustic instruments some body. In fact, I would say that the only difference between the 2 models from 20Hz to 2kHz is that this cheaper model doesn’t seem to be quite as detailed, but that could be my subconscious telling me that because of the price difference.

Truthfully, I think it would be difficult to pick them apart in the lower and mid ranges, especially because of the upper mids and treble areas.

Once more the upper mids are just a little too hot, taking the focus away from those lower mids and bass frequencies, moving the focus on to these upper ranges. And once more we have that dreaded peak at 5kHz that I just find so uncomfortable.

In the case of these IEMs, that 5k peak is actually less pronounced than on the Q5 but it is still too much for my ears and makes things very uncomfortable for me.

I know that not everyone is fragile to the 5k range, some people hate 3k, other hate 6k, we are all different. In my case the specific 5k frequencies can feel like someone is stabbing me with a knife in the ears and I really struggle to listen to anything with a peak there for any length of time.

If you look at my preference target, you will see that I have a dip there, which is my preference, but I can actually do without the dip, as long as the adjacent frequencies (4k and 6k) are not dipped, leaving just a peak. In this case, while the peak is less than on the other model, it is still a peak and it is still painful for me.

I will say that the upper ranges on the G10 seem to be less present than on the Q5. This, together with the slightly less pronounced peak at 5k, doesn’t make thing sound quite as harsh as I felt they did on the Q5.

As the treble is boosted and peaky, on both models, this does lead to a false sensation of detail also. Not that the details are bad but they are pushed at you in such a way that it does make them seem “synthetic”, for lack of a better word.

Conclusion

I am sorry that the sound signature of the G10 is so similar to the Q5, because I really wanted them to have a tuning that I enjoy. Not just so I could review them more positively (which I always prefer to review positives than negatives) but so that I could actually enjoy them during the time I listened to them. In these cases, where I find a tuning uncomfortable, it turns enjoyment into work, and I do this for fun!

Again, it is a great shame that I can’t get on with them as I think that EPZ is putting a lot of effort into their IEMs and think that they deserve more attention that they are getting. Unfortunately, I can only relay what I experience and sound wise, the experience has not been enjoyable for me. That doesn’t mean it won’t be for you, if you don’t have an issue with 5k, then you may love these IEMs and they are very well priced!

I am sure EPZ will read this review, as this is my first time reviewing their products and they will want to know whether to avoid me in the future :wink: In which case, EPZ, if you have any models in your line up that avoid the 5kHz peak, please let me know because I would love to enjoy a set of yours!

As always, this review is also available in Spanish both on my blog (www.achoreviews.com) and on YouTube (www.youtube.com/achoreviews)

5 Likes

Well this is a first. A UV light in the box. The original Kiwi Ears Orchestra had some glow-in-the-dark stuff too but didn’t have the UV light.

3 Likes