The VINTAGE Restoration Thread

Same company. They made some sweet drivers in the 70s. I used their 3/4 inch soft dome tweeters in my Rectilinear III mod. One of the best of that era.

Those that couldn’t afford the Phillips often used McKee. Or McGee, don’t recall the spelling.

The Sansui is done and sounds great! We decided not to replace the power cord because it would possibly hurt value, and given the inside of the box, would not really have any point. I’ve got a bunch of photos of the process, more than convenient to post here, unless I can find a free photo hosting service that I can connect to for a slide show.

The last detail was a matter of servos and the power LED - getting it to behave properly and stop blinking and go solid. After the resto, apparently the power it got was slightly different and Matt had to trace back to the necessary servo. Matt Early used to own a hi-fi shop and has been doing restorations for decades. He’s got all the equipment for testing also.

After completion he tested with big 8 ohm resistors and as you can see, both channels came out to 140 clean RMS watts per channel (Sansui rated it at 100). Matt ran it to clipping then backed off a hair for this chart:

THD was also well below spec. This is a photo of a screen, so not quite as clear. Distortion figures are on the bottom, Matt says they jump around in real time between 0.004 and 0.006. Prior to the work they were at 0.011 I think.

I’ve got a frequency response graph, but flat lines are so boring… :wink:
Work started in early August - here are some “before snaps”

And some first day board pics

I’m asking Matt for some details if he has them, and I have not found too many before/after board level shots. I have many bagged (by board) components that have been replaced…

Midway into the project . . .

And finally putting it back together

There you have it. I’ll take some pics of how it is in the office. Then you all are invited to come by and hear it when you’re in town.

12 Likes