There Can Be Only One- The Reckoning

For me, my end game setup is this -

Schiit Yggdrasil Mulitbit > ZMF Pendant > ZMF Aeolus.

I already have an Aeolus, and will be purchasing a Pendant next month. The Yggdrasil Mulitbit, will hopefully be purchased by the end of this year.

5 Likes

So sad, they’d now be worth millions if not billions*. A bunch of ET games were eventually reclaimed from the landfill and even ended up in the Smithsonian:

*In paper currency in Zimbabwe

3 Likes

EDC…
Or, my poor man’s “End Game” :blush:

6 Likes

if so.

Hope I get a truckload of beer on this island

P.S. old picture- there is now a balanced 3.5mm TRRS oidio sound nicely braided cable for the Elegia

7 Likes

I Love this photo! :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Thank you brother from another mother

2 Likes

:beers:’ ‘:beer:
(You get a smaller beer for your diet)

1 Like

On an island… there is no diet
Build a camp an go fishing or hunt… have some spare fat for the first weeks, cause you never know, right?

3 Likes

Yup!

2 Likes

After many years of seeking I have come to a point of comfort and satisfaction with my favorites in each category of headphone listening;

Mobile Music: Roon ARC > iPhone > LooToo Paw S2 > 64 Audio U12t - Dunu Blanche cable - Azla Sedna Crystal tips

Phone Calls, Podcasts and Exercise: iPhone > Beats Fit Pro - Azla Sedna Xelastec tips

Bedroom: Roon Nucleus > Matrix Element X > Focal Utopia - Transparent Ultra XLR cable

Listening Room: Roon Nucleus > dCS Bartok > Raal HSA1b > Raal SR1a - Raal Requisite Silver Cable

END GAME

I feel like I have arrived at my “end-game” setups, as I am now VERY satisfied with ONE setup in each category. So I am going to pare down and get rid of everything else. Although it is a difficult choice it is also liberating for me.

COULD YOU CHOOSE ONE?

If you had to choose only ONE setup in each of your listening categories forever, what would it be?

2 Likes

You’re missing car audio and speaker setups. The rabbit hole is not done. I’ve gotten very close to my end game for the office system, speakers. Clearly not something that requires TOTL loud sound, but that does not only sound better than most people - clients - have ever heard, but that doesn’t look like something they would ever see at the Magnolia Best Buy, It’s possible that it could get different speaker cables, or that a second sub could join in, but I don’t really think so or feel the need.

I’ve talked about it before, and speakers are a thing among themselves.
I have, I think found AN end game for mobile also. But that I know will change as tech changes, for now it’s

iPhone [Qobuz or Roon ARC] > Audeze LCDi3 with Cipher Cable > memory foam tips

That was easier for me because there are very few IEMs that I like or find comfortable. The LCDi3 has actual soundstage and is more than good enough for my ears. I don’t need to spend on the LCDi4.

For phone calls, I use the apple dongle and Koss Porta pros, because the mic seems to be better than the Audeze, although they can do fine in a pinch.

I’m a bit envious that you’ve solved the rest. Fortunately I am not so highly motivated, and am happy right now with the Rosson RAD-0 and FiiO K9 PRO ESS with HART AUDIO cables for general around the house use, and the Schist BF2/64 going to the STAX SRM-TIS and Nectar Hive most of the time or the LYR 3 to RAD-0 the rest of the time.

Although I like the Grado RS1e in travel system, it’s been getting less use as RAD-0 comes with a nice case. I have the SABRE a20d 2022 at the other house for that. (Instead of the FiiO))

2 Likes

Hi David. Thanks for your reply. I updated this post to focus on Headphone Listening. I am nowhere near so resolved on speaker based systems. My downsizing of residence has encouraged the focus on headphone listening (in addition to my wife’s admonitions to “turn it down”). Life is much more amenable for all by concentrating on headphones for music.

1 Like

Yes I did figure it was supposed to be a headphone chain post, but for me the journey into headphones triggered another dive into speakers. I have trouble listening to one without comparison to the other.

Further, I have been attracted to 95% solutions as the last bit of fiddling seems the least profitable. I take heart in observing @Torq ’s trajectory, particularly with mobile chains. From what I see, you are at about the (step)N-2 in paring down.

1 Like

I concluded long ago that car audio is an exercise in futility. Makes correcting for the space with speakers seem uncomplicated.

4 Likes