Tone control vs. Tube amps, which do you prefer and why?

I have zero experience with the dark voice…but it seems to be a good alternative to the Bottlehead…though from research and reading comparisons, the BHC is an upgrade. But the price difference makes the Dark voice a good intro…only concern would be I’ve read it gets pretty hot compared to other designs…but take that as third hand info!

2 Likes

I’d say it’s a move up from Commander McBragg🤔

1 Like

And I have all three the BBC version the new version and books of Hitch Hikers. Of course.:sunglasses:

Nice of you to recognize it. But I’ve been on blogs and boards for years using the Commander icon or GoManVanGogh. image
but that’s also because someone else took Uniblab.

3 Likes

I’m particular to this fellow…

3 Likes

I am really interested in the Eddie Current Jr as soon as @TylersEclectic told me about it and I read all of the reviews and info on Drop. So I will probably just hang tight, give my wallet a rest and wait for it to drop again. @TylersEclectic what DAC did you pair with yours?

MR

1 Like

I paired mine w/multiple DACs… RME ADI-2DAC, El DAC, Airist R2R DAC…and the NiBL

1 Like

What headphones are you using?

I love the EC ZDT Jr … but not with planar cans and not with anything under 150 ohms impedance.

2 Likes

Hmmm, well this is good to know as my cans are Focal Elear, Hifiman Ananda, and Sennheiser 6XX what would you recommend that would be good with all three?

Solid States…for all three…

tubes for the 6xx…or higher impedance cans =)

2 Likes

I still remember the tune!

I went through a similar process not that long ago when my Headroom Standard amp died. I ended up getting a tube hybrid, the Schiit Lyr3. It does not have balanced output, but that’s not a problem for me. I’ve been very happy with it.

1 Like

Got it!

I am currently using the SMSL SP200THX amp and the SMSL SU-8 DAC and have been pretty happy so far. What I wasn’t happy with I have just used the Loki Tone control to adjust. I am still fairly new to the hobby from the headphone amp/dac perspective.

Maybe I will look at a less expensive tube unit to start with if only one pair of my headphones will really take to the JR Tube amp well. Or do you think the JR would be worth it just for the 6XX cans?

Thank you, I will check it out, I have a couple other Schiit products I have been happy with so far.

It’s a killer combo with the 6XX’s. I use it with those, with the Hifiman HE-560, and with my Grado RS1e’s all the time. Pairs with all of those, and drives my old Senn HD-580s just fine also.

2 Likes

Do you have an idea how long the Tube(s) stay new sounding before they start to change in the Schiit Lyr3?

2-3 years at 8 hours a day.

5 Likes

You know what I’m concerned about? The frog and the water metaphor. That’s why I’ve always stayed away from tubes.

I’m the wrong person to talk to … :wink:

You can do some fairly broad and deep tube rolling, without breaking the bank, with something like the Lyr 3.

The same cannot be said when you start down the path of 300B and 2A3 tubes …

3 Likes

What about using the Lyr 3 with the lower impedance cans I have like the Elear and Ananda any issues there?