Top-end travel rig

Yeah that has been a thought. Maybe later on. I worked out a trade in deal towards the Liric so will be giving those a go.

3 Likes

I just got back from a plane trip. My high-end IEM’s didn’t remove any of the ambient sound such that I could not use. Go ANC for air travel!

2 Likes

Your IEMs are not made by Etymotic. I bet the EVO isolates out airplane noise as good as, or better than, any ANC headset.

I’ll look into those.

1 Like

The Lirics are on the way. I worked out a good trade-in arrangement with my (not that old) CD transport (that I never used much). So I guess I ended up with pretty much what I thought I would.

If anyone has any experience with mini-SD cards and DAPs, please let me know. The slot on the DX 240 accepts but will not “grip” the Sandisk card I’m trying to use with it. (Reads the card fine, but I have to keep my finger firmly pressed down on the outer edge of the mini SD card). What’s the trick I’m missing?

2 Likes

If it’s anything like the other iBasso DAPs, it’s spring loaded; so, just push it in is far as it goes, then using greater pressure and the tip of your finger, give it a second shove so the spring activates and it locks in.

Congrats on the Lirics - BTW!

1 Like

Ah! OK, will try that thanks!

Yeah thanks I’m excited to have them en route. Hoping they will do the trick. Certainly look amazing and the reviews emphasize the comfort factor. I already own some Aeon Closed, and Focal Utopia, so wasn’t interested in doubling up on either of those brands (although great), and that very fancy CD player was just gathering dust, sadly.

2 Likes

I’ve been listening to the Lirics about 2-3 weeks. Beware they really need some time to burn in, but at this point I’m thinking about getting married and running away with them. Love the comfort, and when I switch back to the OG Focal Clears I find I like the Liric sound better even when at home in a quiet office, and the comfort spoiled me for others. I’m really happy with them as a portable option when I travel. Work fine on the Go Blu, but may look to upgrade that unit. I hope you’re as happy as I’ve been.

2 Likes

Nice to hear! I just got them in Monday! Beautiful design and build quality, and yes very comfortable … I find the Utopias a bit more comfortable, but also heavier … The lightness of the Lirics is a big factor, I kinda wish the ear cups were a little bigger (for my ears anyway), but certainly as a portable these are smartly configured. I probably have less than 20 hours on them yet, but my first impression is that they are very alive, with a “fun” sound, and a vivid soundstage … musical details pop off … This could become distracting, I guess, over time, but honestly I find it very enjoyable … Let’s see how it goes after burn-in … Makes the Aeon Closed (previous portable reference) sound excessively polite.

2 Likes

I have gone round and round on this topic. I think we need to distinguish between a noisy travel environment (plane, subway, etc.) and a quiet one (hotel room, etc.)

I used to take a Focal Bathys on my trips, along with a MacBook Air and an iPad. If I have any multi-stop flights, this gets to be a hassle dragging the setup with me. I am now committed to the lightest possible solution that gives me decent SQ and ANC:

• For plane travel: iPhone > AirPods Pro 2 (USB C version) [feather-light, decent sound, excellent ANC)

• For hotel room: iPhone > L&P W4 > U12T

3 Likes

On planes, the Liric/DAP setup works OK — I think the only real way to obscure engine noise is noise-cancelling pods or whatever. But for me this is good enough. THe headphones block a fair amount of noise, and the music takes care of even more. I may yet pick up a pair of IEMs for ease of conveyance.