Topping D90 DAC - Official Thread

Its good that you state this!!

Is the Bifrost 2 as good as or equal to the D90? Some think the specs with SNR make the D90 a whole lot better, my listening experience doesnt find this to be true…I think both dacs are really close…and I do have a preference…

…and if it takes you 6-8 hours to try to figure this out, what does that tell you?

:wink:

Alex

5 Likes

I agree. Identifying the differences between them is more useful than trying to determine “best,” anyway

2 Likes

Well, I haven’t even tried to A/B the D90 vs Biftost2 yet, my initial impression is I really like the D90 and I am enjoying listening to my desktop setup again with my THX amp vs my old SU8. So much so that I thought I needed to sell the THX amp and get something different, and as of right now I don’t feel that way. It is funny how other places say you can’t hear a difference between DAC’s and as long as they measure well nothing else matters. That unfortunately to me is a load of BS.

I honestly doubt I will take the time to go through my playlist and A/B them 3-4 times, it’s really not worth it. They both sound terrific, and I am sure everyone may prefer one to another and I am just happy I now have both! They both sound terrific, and I think someone trying to decide should base the decision off of esthetics, features, brand confidence, warranty or possible sales price. That is my 2cents!

6 Likes

Whats the warranty on the D90? The Schiit Bifrost 2 is 5 years I believe?

Alex

2 Likes

This is a great evaluation, lol! Nice problem to have, right!??!?

3 Likes

2 year manufacturer warranty.

2 Likes

So if you have an issue with the dac how do you handle this with Topping?
With Schiit, I had ywo warranty issues, email, get an RMA send back, they fix and return…

In both cases they actually sent me a new replacement system, and paid the shipping both ways!!

I was nice !!

My concern is getting stuff from over the pond is how long is the overall process?

Alex

1 Like

Resale value is one of my top purchasing considerations, personally. If I can get a D70 for $250 used, why pay $500 retail? If course… If it’s a fairly new product, and it’s resale value is close to half the retail value, it often casts shadows of doubt in my mind that I should even buy it at all.

6 Likes

This is actually also a great point! I would also factor this in as well for anyone trying to decide. Thanks Professor @ProfFalkin

2 Likes

Man I am listening now to live orchestral music in hi-res via Qobuz with my smsl thx sp200 and the D90 and I am hearing details in songs I haven’t heard before when using my SU8, like people coughing in the audience! This is nuts, very impressive to be sure.

2 Likes

The D70 suffers from the rapid release of the D90. The depreciation was super accelerated with that particular model.

I look at depreciation by product type: computers/tablets/phones → 0% after a few years. Pocket knives → doubled my money on some rare models after a few years. Almost anything electronic will depreciate fairly rapidly.

2 Likes

I made about $15 on a set of Meze 99’s because I sold it in between Drops. First, and probably last time I’ll ever make money on electronics.

Also, if you bought a Rolex Submariner any time in the last 15 years you’ve made money on the deal

3 Likes

@MRHifiReviews, I’m glad you’re enjoying D90. Now that I have decent amount of hours with Bifrost 2, I think I’m going to stick with it. I’m still curious about D90 though lol. I’m just not sure if that curiosity worth $700. Have you play around with the Bluetooth? Maybe I’ll use it at work :thinking:

4 Likes

Try selling tubes. I’m sure suckers like myself will give you plenty of profits :rofl:

2 Likes

I haven’t played with bluetooth at all yet as I have been just using connected to my IMAC but I may give it a shot just for fun. I read it’s pretty good for CD quality tracks but anything better and it starts to diminish the quality of the music.

3 Likes

Update on Qobuz. They acknowledge there seeing similar reports from other users.

It would good to have few more reference systems that exhibit the issue aka outboard DAC’s that see the issue and OS version you use. I can add to the report

I am traveling this week.

If pm me with the info I add it to my ticket with Qobuz

3 Likes

Any follow-up views on Bifrost 2 vs. D90? I’m interested in both – and the relative improvement/ROI versus mainstream DACs such as the AKM 4490.

I did give some brief impressions above in this thread.

Yes, follow-up beyond impressions. Firming up your views with experience and rest?

Nothing more than what I linked in my previous post here Topping D90 DAC - Official Thread

I am doubtful I will A/B them at this time both are great sounding.

1 Like