TOTL tubed headpone amp

Update: I got in touch with Donald North at DNAudio, and may go for a Stratus, although not sure when. Looked like the best bang for the buck, and also love the aesthetic and the personal touch/vision. Really appreciate the input, especially the comprehensive notes from @torq.

2 Likes

That’s great. Really looking forward to your impressions.

Will certainly share them! Long wait … like 6-7 months, but that was better than I’d expected, and I’ve waited longer for things.

3 Likes

I have enjoyed the no-longer-available original MOTH 2A3 (Version 1 and also Version 2 with the external 5AR4 to keep internal heat down). I am fortunate enough to use them with the RCA 2A3 monoplates. Anyone else using this amp?

This amp has not yet met a headphone that it couldn’t appropriately drive, including my Susvaras.

1 Like

My longest wait time for an item was 24 months.

Wait times seem longer though in a pseudo lockdown situation though.

1 Like

Yes, it appears to be a true monster. I think it will hit the spot!

1 Like

And welcome to the forum!!

1 Like

Thank you. Much appreciated.

2 Likes

Anyone have any experience with LTA’s MZ3? I’ve read good things here and there, just not much out there.

3 Likes

I’m curious too…:+1:t4:

1 Like

I am glad to see the Cayin HA-300 on here. I absolutely love that amp. I am currently waiting for the HA-6A that I order a couple weeks ago to become available again in the states. Not quite as high end as the HA-300, but the HA-6A is meant to be more of a sister product than a downgraded version of the HA-300 according to John from Cayin. I hope he is correct! Enjoy that amp!

3 Likes

Same here. I settled on the Mz2 because I had heard it before and got a great deal from LTA

2 Likes

There’s a Cayin HA-300 online now at Audiogon for $2977 … very tempting,

2 Likes

That’s a pretty sweet ‘placeholder’ til your DNA arrives… :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Have you listened to the DNA?

Donald brought over the Stellaris 2A3 over to listen on my Chord Qutest and LCD-3, and at least to my taste and system synergy, it was just too analytical and not enough mid-bass body and bass slam.

It’s accurate but not as musical and fun as my Ha-300.

9 Likes

I’m not really able to audition anything right now. I usually pop into hi-fi shops or visit manufacturers (if they welcome visitors) when I’m traveling, which would usually be at least half the time. It now seems uncertain when I can return to that, so just trying to investigate possibilities before making a decision.

4 Likes

Amazing set-up Joey! I know the HA-300 is pretty heavy. Is it clunky to maneuver/set up? I have limited real estate on my desk, and also try to steer clear of components that might require two people to move around. (My 50-pound turntable is about the limit there). For $3k it looks like a great deal, but it may be biting off more than I can chew. And the DNA appeals to me on several levels. My sense is that if it proves too dry or analytical with my Utopias, I can tube-roll or find a different headphone … But I like a fast, clean sound with lots of transient detail. (And I’m also into kind of hearing everything out there that I can, gear-wise – budget allowing, and the budget has been blown way out already this year, hahaha).

4 Likes

The Ha-300 is definitely heavy, but it is mostly on the transformer, and since it’s two pieces, it’s not horribly heavy. The DNA is also heavy, by the way.

The ha-300 is still fast in transient, and very fast with the Psvane Acme Supreme 300b tubes. And the TT2 takes it to another level!

I would say to check out both the DNA, ha-300,and other 300b tube amps.

1 Like

I’m really tempted to jump on this Ha-300 that’s up for sale ($2900 and change). I’d definitely upgrade it to the Psvane tubes.

I’m using the DAC in my Bel Canto C7R (an all-in-one) which powered my main system for many years, and has been working great as a desktop headphone amp. It still sounds good.

2 Likes

I think there is no difference in real estate required between the Cayin and the DNA. Both 17 inches across.