Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL MZ3 Headphone Amp/Pre Amp/Integrated Amp

This is the place to discuss the Linear Tube Audio (LTA) MZ3 MicroZOTL Tube Headphone Amplifier.

11 Likes

Now hopefully we get some juicy subjective shares about this black box! I’m afraid my contribution will only be reading this thread, as it’s a significant investment for this year’s audio budget.

2 Likes

We have a community member that just received one. I just created the thread so he can post whenever he’s ready. :+1:t4:

4 Likes

If it is who I think it is, that is awesome!

2 Likes

:popcorn: I’m especially interested in how the MZ3 compares to the MZ2.

1 Like

Haven’t had a ton of time with the MZ3 due to work and being out of town not long after I received it, but I’m really enjoying this amp. It really does seem like the best of both worlds, tube and ss. Really like the Verite off it and the Stellia, which surprised me.

8 Likes

Very nice! That dot matrix display… :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

And a fancy apple remote when you’re just too lazy to sit up to adjust the volume lol.

2 Likes

Congratulations @Rhodey :champagne: very happy for you. I recently had a demo with a DNA amp, after having it for 2 weeks I ordered the Stratus. I’ll have it by 2021…

Seriously, awesome pick up. Looking forward to reading your impressions.

3 Likes

Thanks and congrats to you! I’ll eventually add some impressions but it’s hard to compare without listening to other totl amps. This thing is just good and I’m relieved haha.

3 Likes

I spent a LOT of time with the MicroZOTL stuff at last years Axpona, both before and after the shows. The guys were super gracious about letting me have a rather extensive listen

What stuck out to me about MZ2 vs MZ3 was… tactility. MZ2 just struck as me too soft, where as MZ3 had some texture without sounding overly aggressive or “fake”

Mz2 is/was too soft for my tastes, it always sounded like it smooothed everything over [and this is with AGGRESSIVE sounding dynamic headphones]

Good to see we have an owner here too!

4 Likes

That’s awesome that you were able to have an extensive listen. Helpful impressions, thanks. That’s too bad about the MZ2. Do you recall if you tried the MZ2 with both the standard power supply and $700 extra linear power supply?

It’s a bit odd to me that the price gap between the 2 and 3 is $1300 vs $3700, relatively wide. I guess that gap showed up in your listening session.

And yes awesome to have an owner among us!

4 Likes

First year I heard it was with stock PSU, second time which was last year was with the upgrade I believe. I can’t say what difference it made as my overall impression still stood

3 Likes

Copy that, thanks. The 3 is an appealing unit with its headphone, preamp and speaker capabilities.

I want to play with one of these so bad! It is lovely looking! Plus I like the size of it!

5 Likes

I’m half way there. I’ve already got that remote. :+1:t4::wink:

7 Likes

Thanks. The smaller footprint was definitely a selling point for me.

3 Likes

This preamp/amp/headphone amp is a reasonable value given what it would cost to buy 3 separate components of equal quality. It ages organically into a legacy piece of audio equipment that requires no real need for upgrade. I have it paired with Omega Super 3 HO monitors. It is an addictive listen at near field or at a late night distance from the couch. I have an Aegir amp to boost signal throughout but honestly…1 watt is all one would need when paired with speakers rated above 97 db efficiency. I am constantly astonished by the sound quality…it renders music, including digital sources, in a startling way. Ex. Sounds like vinyl without any of the mechanical drawbacks. I have no cons from ownership.

11 Likes

reminds me I need to go try one of these. maybe I’ll see if they have time this weekend.

2 Likes

When you add up the upgrades on the MZ2 the price goes up considerably, close to $2200.

Of course the 3 " That’s why we use only premium, name-brand components . Belleson regulators. Ohno OCC wiring. Vishay Dale resistors. Mundorf caps."

LTA makes some nice gear, I’ve been liking my Orchid DAC for a while when I want that hint of warmth.

5 Likes